Joshale
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Why is History in school the same boring stuff from primary to secondary? I remember doing world war and Henry the 8th in primary.. and also secondary school, why only Henry the 8th? why not Henry the 3rd or 1st? why not learn the medieval times rather than the boring victorians and tudors?
Martyn*
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
World war and Henry the 8th in Primary? That stuff was not taught untill High School. Romans was taught in Primary, then Saxons and Vikings in Junior.
Moosferatu
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
GCSE History is the greatest travesty for political education. An entire generation of imbeciles currently believe that the political spectrum is represented solely by Nazism, Stalinism, and 1930s/40s era liberal democracy.
Jjj90
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I kind of agree, I went from primary school through to my degree and was never taught a word about Henry II, which is a shame, because Henry II was amazing.

The Plantagenets are as important as the Tudors so I don't know why they're ignored.
Joshale
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Martyn*)
World war and Henry the 8th in Primary? That stuff was not taught untill High School. Romans was taught in Primary, then Saxons and Vikings in Junior.
We were taught Henry the 8th in primary (not world war 1/2 my mistake) with saxons (which was enjoyable I must say)

but nothing on the medieval times or kings other than Henry the 8th and queens on Elizabeth
I would of loved to learnt the history of fights such as the yorkshire and lancaster fight, how they even lived in the middle ages etc
Rubato
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I was taught ancient history and medieval history from primary school up to year 8. Didn't touch modern history until after that and it was pretty boring because it was all world war or communism. Would have probably died of boredom if I was made to learn the same thing over and over.
Veni Vidi Fugi
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The problem for teaching medieval history is that you've got to get people to understand that the people of the time thought in radically different ways to how most of us do now. It's not just that they had different opinions, but a completely different frame of reference; in that sense teaching modern history allows you to get stuck into the meat of the issue. There's so little time available at GCSE that I can understand why schools make that decision.

The best example of the 'different frame of reference thing' that I've been reminded of recently is in chivalry. We think of the chivalric figure as a man (no chivalric women, I'm afraid) with gleaming armour, protecting the innocent, and having exquisite manners. He stands as the opposite of the nasty, cruel mercenary who's the other stereotype. The people of the time, however, saw no problem with a knight being both honourable and exceptionally violent. Henry V is reported to have said, for example, that 'war without fire [i.e. burning down villages] is like sausages without mustard', and there's very little evidence of civilians being spared the sword. To get this stuff, you've got to be willing to re-think value systems, and that's tricky to do with about 2 lessons per week.
BoyWithTheThorn
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't even remember doing history at primary school.

My secondary school education seems to have been better than most, we went from medieval history with the Battle of Hastings through to the Industrial Revolution. It was all British history apart from one random unit on Native Americans.

GCSE history was all modern looking at America, Britain, International Relations and the Vietnam War, I almost feel left out for not doing anything on Nazi Germany or the Soviet Union like everyone else seems to.
Changing Skies
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My primary school history consisted of Henry VIII and then for some reason, The Beatles :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Walkaah
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Changing Skies)
My primary school history consisted of Henry VIII and then for some reason, The Beatles :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I remember being traumatized by the teacher lecturing about Hitler
:bricks:
Badshah
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I completely agree. All I could remember learning in history was the world wars and Tudors. There is so much more than I wish I could have learned but oh well I guess I'm gonna have to self teach myself because I really do love history.
DanB1991
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Main reason being it's suppose to be balanced.... aka they teach all the boring stuff. They're not really gonna teach you ww2 history about tank combat and what each tanks strengths and weaknesses were and how they blew **** up!

I would hate to be a history teacher, doing a history degree and not using most of it. Even at GCSE level you teach rubbish that anyone with common sense can get more accurate info.

I remember going through a history book in year 7/8 and noticing the amount of mistake based on common misconceptions of certain era's.
mathscot
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
All in all over the years I have had a great experience in history (one of the reasons I am taking it for A Level. In primary school we did Ancient Greeks ancient egyptians , the Tudors (not just Henry the VIII), Victorians world war 1 & 2 great fire of London Florence nightingale and in high school we have done the trade triangle (slavery) Tudors Joan of ark JFK's assassination more world war one/ two battle of Hastings and for GCSE the development of the american west and medicine through time .
I see your point that we spend a lot on Henry VIII and the Tudors but I do find it interesting the upheaval of the catholic church into protestant and then the conversion back in a time were the stability of a religion followed by monarchs for centuries was shaken up.
I do find world war 1 and 2 very dull with my only interests in the political background. My favourite subject has to be the american west which is fascinating due to so many groups of people mixing with completely different belief systems well worth a reading up if you don't do it for GCSE if your are interested in peoples behaviour to the world and others. Opps went on a bit never mind I just really enjoy history 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
JohnDoe19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Joshale)
Why is History in school the same boring stuff from primary to secondary? I remember doing world war and Henry the 8th in primary.. and also secondary school, why only Henry the 8th? why not Henry the 3rd or 1st? why not learn the medieval times rather than the boring victorians and tudors?
I did 1066 and the black death for about 3 straight years. Anything can become unbelievably tedious if you do it long enough.
08jogon
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I didn't do a history because it looked boring as hell but I would have done it if this was the course http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-27477149
White.Resistance
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Why not learn about the red terror and Bolshevik l revolution?
Haysaurus
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
British history is boring. Thank god I'm no longer taking history!

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (25)
5.59%
Uncertainty around my education (51)
11.41%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (53)
11.86%
Lack of purpose or motivation (58)
12.98%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (24)
5.37%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (20)
4.47%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (45)
10.07%
Financial worries (28)
6.26%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (19)
4.25%
Exposure to negative news/social media (30)
6.71%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (14)
3.13%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (43)
9.62%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (37)
8.28%

Watched Threads