This discussion is closed.
Tribi18
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
What jobs/organsations give good payment for teenagers under 18??
What is the minium wage - i get confused and when does that rise?
Revelation
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I don't think there is a minimum wage for under 18 year old's. The national minimum wage for 18+ is £3.80 as over October 2003. Get to your local job centre, local newspaper(s), walk down the high street. Do some work :P I would say national organisations would be ethical in that they don't rip you off etc. Also, depends what kinda work u wanna do?
kingslaw
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I'd go for local businesses. The personal interaction usually mean that the employer is more friendly with you, meaning possible pay rises for good effort and approach, and if your a dependable sort of person, they even pay you when you are sick or on holiday. Thats flexibility that a large multi-national or national cant guarantee.

However, in the end we're all economic slaves to capital accumulation. So wherever you go at our age you are bound to get paid a lot less than the actual value of your labour as you are easily disposable labour
Revelation
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I agree with your post, but not about the paid holidays, I would say national company's will have a policy to stick to about paid holiday leave and so fourth. Local business will most often pay you for when your there and thats all. There are exceptions tho.
Mysticmin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Tribi18)
What jobs/organsations give good payment for teenagers under 18??
What is the minium wage - i get confused and when does that rise?
WH Smiths, I work for them and I'm only 17. Starting wages are £4.20 basic plus location allowance (so you get more money if you work in an expensive london like brighton or london). After you complete your training you get a pay rise.

At the moment i'm on nearly £5 / hour.
picju96
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I got £6.25 in a local tea shop age 17 on a sunday. £5.25 on a saturday.
fifi53
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
youre not going to be able to get a lot over £4 if youre under 18, when i was 16 my first job paid me £3.40, but i loved it. so choose somethign you like and it wont bother you so much. look out for bonuses though, they can make up for bad pay. i used to work in a rather cool shoe shop and got 50% off everything, plus all the clubs used to guestlist our staff as VIP, so i even had somewere to wear my shoes to
SideKickRick
Report 15 years ago
I know this sounds random, but maybe try getting a job on a market stall. I used to work on one (for the last 2 years, since i was 16) and got a basic wage of £50 a day but during the summer I had weeks where I got £75 a day. So it can be pretty good. This said, I feel I must warn you that I do know some people of your age who work on the market and only get £20 for the day! Maybe I was just lucky, not sure. And trust me, if you do work on a market then wrap up warm! The more pairs of socks the better!
SideKickRick
Report 15 years ago
Oooh, I was just thinking. My friend works in McDonalds and she gets pretty decent wages, she also gets paid holidays and stuff. Plus they will employ practically anyone and are always looking for staff so maybe that's an option.
claire1985
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Mysticmin)
WH Smiths, I work for them and I'm only 17. Starting wages are £4.20 basic plus location allowance (so you get more money if you work in an expensive london like brighton or london). After you complete your training you get a pay rise.

At the moment i'm on nearly £5 / hour.
You work there and recommend it to other people? I work there and hate it! I have to do the 7-1pm shift and sit on a till and get so very bored :-( I get £4.72 p/h
Alexander
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Someone I know gets £7 an hour as a guide on an open-top bus. Wouldn't suit everyone though, and apparently it's quite tiring. Also no good if you're not in a tourist area.
Asha
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i know someone who gets 15quid an hour, and shes 17...

crazy
Alexander
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Asha)
i know someone who gets 15quid an hour, and shes 17...

crazy
well, what does she do?
Asha
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
she works for some engineering firm
ThornsnRoses
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Asha)
she works for some engineering firm
and what does she do for them? Make miracles happen?
Asha
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
maybe......
Mysticmin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by claire1985)
You work there and recommend it to other people? I work there and hate it! I have to do the 7-1pm shift and sit on a till and get so very bored :-( I get £4.72 p/h
Lol, i used to do 7-1, now i do 1pm til 7pm! I quite like it because I'm on the books department and it isn't very busy so I spend most of my time off the till tidying up sections. It means I get the chance to leaf through books and have a natter with any friends who pop in to see me.
Trigger
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
tesco or the new tesco express like i work in (not advertising honest!) £3.90 an hour time and a half on holidays (eaSTER etc) and 4 weeks paid holiday !!!
not bad cept the uniform is crap :mad:
nayeem18
Report 15 years ago
" What jobs/organsations give good payment for teenagers under 18??
What is the minium wage - i get confused and when does that rise? " - in 1997 it was minimum 3.50 for anybody .
pringle
Report 15 years ago
they r bulidin a new tesco express near my house and im 16 in a few months, is it worth me applyin or will they turn me down staright away coz im not 16, oh and wots with all the questions on the application form and wot r they lookin for from them?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (115)
19.46%
Labour (299)
50.59%
Liberal Democrats (77)
13.03%
Green Party (30)
5.08%
Brexit Party (7)
1.18%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.51%
SNP (13)
2.2%
Plaid Cymru (3)
0.51%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
1.02%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (3)