This discussion is closed.
Rachel_manc
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
The minimum wage was only introduced in 1997 - its a New Labour thing. Has only ever applied to over 18s, which is y 16-18's may often find it easier to get a job (get paid less). At the moment min wage is £3.80 an hour...usually goes up about 10p a year (in line with inflation etc.).
figgetyfig
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Try a bank. I know someone who works at Lloyds TSB and is on around £6 per hour. Not sure if she's 18 yet or not though.

The other high paid jobs in my area are at this really posh health farm place.
john !!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Telesales maybe. High pay but hard work.
don111
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
I promote (tell people about): http://www.s43.co.uk and Get the latest sim FREE mobile every one-two months. So what do you think of that as an wage? I am only 15!
priya
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Next/Next Clearance pay reeally well- i'm on £4.95 p/h- its something like £4.32 if you're under 8- incentives are great as well. i used to work for a newsagents, hated it because my boss had me doing weird hours (before school etc) and i got paid a pittance for being the age i am.
Carl
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I've had two jobs since giving up my paper round; both as a waiter. The first was at a 4* De Vere hotel near Wrexham. I got the job when I was 15. and the work was never too demanding and the pay was good: £4.25p/h. However, I gave up because it was an hours minibus ride each way. It was also completely flexible; you worked whenever there was work available and when you wanted too. However, there was no sick or holiday pay.

My current job is in a Two For One (Spirit Group) Pub in Wrexham. Its convenient as its close to home, and the social side, and holiday pay, is excellent, as is the training and promotion prospects. I've been there part time for 11 months and I'm hoping to become a supervisor soon. I've been bar trained since my 18th birthday, and my pay goes up from £3.80 (basic rate) to £4.22 when I complete some more training. However, I've been too busy preparing for exams to do it. The work is also more demanding because we're constantly busy, we're the no 1 pub in the chain!

Carl
vicky600
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i am a waitress in a fish n chip restaurant.. im 16 n get £4 and hour.. n then tips added on.. we get holiday pay 2!.. we can chose when we work.. 4 how long. Gr8 ppl work ther!..

U could work at an out of school club n get £4.50 an hour.. i do that in the hols.
wednesburywench
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
ikea pay very well compared to age. 5.15 an hour for 16 year olds. I got a job there and also a job at pc world. The pc world pay wasnt great, (3.72) but i accepted this one over the other because of job prospects and bonuses, benefits etc. I get a quarterly bonus, and at christmas it was over 100 pounds, and im only part time! I also get sick/holiday pay and they are good training prospects. However ikea also have good sttaff benifits....i guess i didnt like the idea of picking things up off the floor!
Maggie
Report 15 years ago
Since I don't live in Europe, I have no idea about companies in your area but I do have some great ideas. .

One thing is constant though, being a part-time nanny or a nanny relief (covering days off) pays good money for young people. You can earn up to $15/hr for a wealthy family interested in having someone entertain their children while they are home or just to babysit while they go to an event. You'd have better luck landing these jobs if you found a nanny placement agency.

Another great way for students to make money is to start your own business. I know many students in the United States who own their own businesses in the summer earning huge amounts of money so they don't have to work the rest of the year while they are in school.

Good ideas for self employment for students are things that don't require much overhead. Try a lawn maintenance business, a window cleaning business or a house painting business. These things are generally seasonal so you can get away with making THOUSANDS of dollars per EACH month in the summer. Bank it all and you wont' have to work the rest of the year while you're at school.

If anyone wants more ideas, let me know. I'm full of them.
lou p lou
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by pringle)
they r bulidin a new tesco express near my house and im 16 in a few months, is it worth me applyin or will they turn me down staright away coz im not 16, oh and wots with all the questions on the application form and wot r they lookin for from them?
omg, you must live so close to me! lol, that tesco is seriously right by my house too. and i say apply for it once your 16, there's not much point applying now cos they probably will turn you down while you're still 15 and it's not like its built yet.

lou xxx
Pencil
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I work at Tesco and really enjoy it. I work 8.5 hours every Saturday and I get £5.06 per hour. It's paid off my Uni debt and my travelling costs and I'm earning more cash than I'm spending.
Mabel
Report 15 years ago
Don't know if you can bear it or not, but I'm on a Gap year at the moment and earned great money working in a day centre for people with learning disabilities. Mainly a teacher role entertaining them, paid GBP7.50/h (no pound sign on this keyboard, travelling in Asia!). There was also work available with old people and mainly involved toileting them, feeding, putting to bed etc. I didn't do any of this as did sport at weekends, but the pay was over GBP11/h, double on bank holidays.
I think you have to be 18, but good money and as agency you can pick up and drop work as you wish
js_atco
Report 15 years ago
I've been working for TGI Fridays whilst studying at Nottingham Trent. I earn £4.50 p/hour, and around £50 a night in tips. I do two 7 hour shifts a week, and take home a minimum of £150. Everyone who works in the industry accepts that it's the best paid part-time job you can do. You have to work hard, but I prefer to be busy at work, and the money more than compensates!
emom100
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i work in clarks and i get 4.84 an hour but i get lots of extra money incentives and a good discount as well. Onyl downer is that as i'm on a temporary contract and i only work when there's hours availables in my uni hollidays i don't get holiday pay ehich is a bit manky cos i tend to work full time in the summer and wathc eveyone else get lots of paid time off while i do theor hours for them ;0(

A good job would be in your local library, my friend was getting paid 5.90 when she first started and she did bugger all, she also had lots of good benefits cos it was a council job. The only problem was though taht htre wern't that many hours avaiable and over last summer she had to get another job in the week.

The ebst job any of my friends had was working in a gallery in London on sunday. he was getting £16 an hour (double pay) The only thing is that he had a 3 hour trian journey there and back every time he worked but he was still raking it in. Although the train ticket would ahve cost him about 30 quid returna dn its a hell of an annoyance having to travel so much jsut for a weekend job.
don111
Report 15 years ago
I worked at this sales place and made £10/hour!

Check out: http://www.slzone.com/
Mystic
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I work for a restaurant and I get £4.50 plus tips, but A friend works in Marks and gets over £5....
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (293)
46.43%
No (74)
11.73%
I'm not old enough (264)
41.84%

Watched Threads