Which of these biology and psychology careers would suit me? Watch

scrawlx101
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Neuropsychologist

• A neuropsychologist bridges the gap between biology and psychology by studying how parts of the body influence perception, emotion, language and memory. Specifically, you focus on the brain and nervous system, according to Psychology School Directory online. The College of Notre Dame in Maryland says a degree in biology/psychology prepares students for brain-behavior work, such as neuroscience. Neuropsychology is a rapidly growing field.

Neurologist

• If you're more interested in the biological side of studies, neurologists study the brain and nervous system and diagnose disorders. As a doctor, you test patients' balance, reflexes, movement, sensation, memory and speech, among other things connected to cognition. This testing often requires you to use CAT scans, MRI and EEG. While biology training prepares you for most of your job duties as doctors, psychology training helps you understand cognitive processes and prepares you for working directly with patients.

• Biopsychologist

• Biopsychology is a combination of biology and psychology that focuses on the human brain and its effect on behavior and emotions. Psychology School Directory gives the example of a biospychologist who conducts a study on the emotions caused by viewing a photograph and the way these emotions show up on a brain scan. You use MRI and positron emission tomography to study the brain at rest and at work. Cognitive psychology, which studies how the mind influences perception, is similar but may include more psychology than biology or neurology.

Psychiatrist

• Psychiatrists are medical doctors who prescribe medication to patients, and an understanding of biology is important to anticipate the effect of drugs on the mind and body. You use psychoanalysis and psychotherapy to diagnose patients' behavior and mental disorders, according to the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics. You employ counseling and prescribe medication to treat your patients' illnesses.

I hope to do:
    biology
    psychology
    business studies
    English literature for A-LEVEL.
  • I'm in year 11 exams in 2 weeks,wish me luck!
    I love reading and i really want to help people with their problems.I want to earn a nice sum of money.Another factor is demand for the jobs above and the employment rate.
scrawlx101
Rep:
?
Anyone?
DeepStar
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Only you can decide which career suits you best. Although it is good to have direction so early on, I would suggest you give yourself time and enjoy your A Levels. It can be quite an enlightening experience.

When are you thinking about applying to courses with the above careers in mind, I would recommend research, visiting universities and speaking with course tutors as well as current students to get a feel for the course.

Until then though, try not too worry too much about it and enjoy yourself.

Good luck.
Ronove
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by scrawlx101)
Neuropsychologist

• A neuropsychologist bridges the gap between biology and psychology by studying how parts of the body influence perception, emotion, language and memory. Specifically, you focus on the brain and nervous system, according to Psychology School Directory online. The College of Notre Dame in Maryland says a degree in biology/psychology prepares students for brain-behavior work, such as neuroscience. Neuropsychology is a rapidly growing field.

Neurologist

• If you're more interested in the biological side of studies, neurologists study the brain and nervous system and diagnose disorders. As a doctor, you test patients' balance, reflexes, movement, sensation, memory and speech, among other things connected to cognition. This testing often requires you to use CAT scans, MRI and EEG. While biology training prepares you for most of your job duties as doctors, psychology training helps you understand cognitive processes and prepares you for working directly with patients.

• Biopsychologist

• Biopsychology is a combination of biology and psychology that focuses on the human brain and its effect on behavior and emotions. Psychology School Directory gives the example of a biospychologist who conducts a study on the emotions caused by viewing a photograph and the way these emotions show up on a brain scan. You use MRI and positron emission tomography to study the brain at rest and at work. Cognitive psychology, which studies how the mind influences perception, is similar but may include more psychology than biology or neurology.

Psychiatrist

• Psychiatrists are medical doctors who prescribe medication to patients, and an understanding of biology is important to anticipate the effect of drugs on the mind and body. You use psychoanalysis and psychotherapy to diagnose patients' behavior and mental disorders, according to the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics. You employ counseling and prescribe medication to treat your patients' illnesses.

I hope to do:
    biology
    psychology
    business studies
    English literature for A-LEVEL.
  • I'm in year 11 exams in 2 weeks,wish me luck!
    I love reading and i really want to help people with their problems.I want to earn a nice sum of money.Another factor is demand for the jobs above and the employment rate.
You'd do well to stop looking at American job titles and descriptions.
If you want to be a psychiatrist or a neurologist you'll have to study Medicine and qualify as a doctor, which will be difficult regardless, but even more so if you're not studying Chemistry to at least AS level (ideally A2).

If you want to be a neuropsychologist (not a protected title in the UK afaik aka it potentially means nothing at all and is not a set job) you will likely have to study Psychology and then do a PhD in Clinical or Education Psychology first. In the same way, I'm not sure Biopsychology is a thing in the UK.
scrawlx101
Rep:
?
What about being a biologist or clinical psychologist?
shiggydiggy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
As other people have said, two of those are medical jobs.

(Original post by Ronove)
If you want to be a neuropsychologist (not a protected title in the UK afaik aka it potentially means nothing at all and is not a set job) you will likely have to study Psychology and then do a PhD in Clinical or Education Psychology first. In the same way, I'm not sure Biopsychology is a thing in the UK.
There are plenty of neuropsychologists in any major stroke unit. They're just clinical psychologists with additional training.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (119)
17.68%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (71)
10.55%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (119)
17.68%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (99)
14.71%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (65)
9.66%
How can I be the best version of myself? (200)
29.72%

Watched Threads