The Student Room Group

Reality at the Gym

As we all know, the Internet is filled with people who lie. Nowhere is this more prominent than in the lifting community. Go to any forum and you'll see people claiming they benched 300 pounds when they first started and half the world seemingly loading up with four plates on each side for their workouts.

I lift, but I have a home gym so I can avoid public gyms. So my curious question of curiosity is what do you public gym goers generally see people lifting at the gym? Are most of them on baby weights or are they really going beast mode each and every day?

Scroll to see replies

It always seems like everyone else is lifting more/bigger than you.

It's like during exams, it always seems like everyone else is clever than/has revised more than you have.

Just work at your pace, your way.
Most chain and uni gyms are pretty powerlifter unfriendly (not enough racks, no platform, no bumper plates), so it's not particularly surprising that you don't meet them if you're not in the right place.
At my uni gym a 2 plate + squat and DL is considered "strong." A bench of +80 is also considered strong. Making me one of the stronger guys in my gym...

At the gym I trained at over Easter, I saw 2 guy's deadlift 6 plates, multiple guys bench 3 plates. Meaning that I didn't even come onto people's radars.
(edited 9 years ago)
I go to a chain gym and most people there lift about 30KG. There are exceptions. At my gym there is one really strong guy he does like 135 kg. I myself do about 50kg. However most people at my gym are just scrawny teenagers who do two reps and then look in the mirror for satisfaction.
Reply 5
I'm jealous of your home gym. Must be great not having to suffer going to a gym.
I gym in a dirty, rusty gym, not a chain gym and it's full of rugby players and other big lads. I bench 75kg for 1, deadlift 140kg for 3 and I'm pretty certain I'm the weakest and lightest guy who gyms there.
Reply 7
You rarely see BBs benching 300 for reps
The most I've ever seen anyone bench is 185kg for 6 reps. Massive.
I've seen quite a few big benches. There are guys who come in, seem to only train bench and maybe do some curls, but bench way over 100kg. I've seen some of that ilk bench 140.

But squat and deadlift are mostly pretty poor. I've never seen serious squatting and deadlifting in my gym at home. There are a fair few powerlifters at my uni gym, but to be honest a lot of them are quite mediocre too. I regularly see over 2xbw squats, and 200+kg deadlifts, but they are the better ones. Now, there are a few beasts, but they are very much the exceptions.
Original post by Angry cucumber
At my uni gym a 2 plate + squat and DL is considered "strong." A bench of +80 is also considered strong. Making me one of the stronger guys in my gym...

At the gym I trained at over Easter, I saw 2 guy's deadlift 6 plates, multiple guys bench 3 plates. Meaning that I didn't even come onto people's radars.

Id like to know who thinks benching above 80kg makes someone strong lol. Same with a squat over 2 plates and deadlift.
Original post by ColoredSands
I go to a chain gym and most people there lift about 30KG. There are exceptions. At my gym there is one really strong guy he does like 135 kg. I myself do about 50kg. However most people at my gym are just scrawny teenagers who do two reps and then look in the mirror for satisfaction.

What exercise?
Reply 12
Lol at colorsands.

You lift 50kg... Do you even lift?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rugby234
Lol at colorsands.

You lift 50kg... Do you even lift?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tricep - kickbacks.....
Reply 14
It all depends where you go, who goes and what time.

Leisure centre - expect to see loads of girls, guys who think they are hence and they are not. old people doing weights and cardio. perhaps one of two guys who can bench 100kg for reps.

Mass gyms by this i mean like the gym or our gym - fairly strong people, a variety.

Old school gym - not uncommon to walk in on someone deadlifting 300-400kg. or seeing som ridicules amount been benched.

Personally It takes a bit for me to stop what i'm doing to either observe, admire or respect someone lifting something. For instance a few weeks ago a 200kg plus bench and so guy shoulder press 80kg dumbbells for reps.
All the gyms I've used have had a spread.

A very large amount of noobs

A fairly large amount of intermediate lifters

And a small amount of big/strong people.

This pattern is pretty understandable given that to get to the advanced stages requires more work, dedication and staying-power than most people have.
No-one squats, deadlifts or military presses in my gym so I don't really have a basis of comparison regarding strength.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by AMG44

Leisure centre - expect to see loads of girls, guys who think they are hence and they are not. old people doing weights and cardio. perhaps one of two guys who can bench 100kg for reps.

Mass gyms by this i mean like the gym or our gym - fairly strong people, a variety.

Old school gym - not uncommon to walk in on someone deadlifting 300-400kg. or seeing som ridicules amount been benched.

More like,

Leisure centre - curlbros be curlin', cardiobunnies takin' booty selfies

Mass gyms - Slutty cardiobunnies, manlets, sleeved curlbros & people who ride many, many bicycles. Essentially selfie central

Old school gym - "m8, u r looking swole!!!11oneone. Where ya get ya tren from m8?"
Original post by AMG44

Personally It takes a bit for me to stop what i'm doing to either observe, admire or respect someone lifting something. For instance a few weeks ago a 200kg plus bench and so guy shoulder press 80kg dumbbells for reps.

Where do you train? A 400kg deadlift is massive.
Original post by NathanDYEL
Id like to know who thinks benching above 80kg makes someone strong lol. Same with a squat over 2 plates and deadlift.

A uni gym where the vast majority are no gain bros

The number of people who say "thats some seriously heavy weight" when it's my warm up lol :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest