BrokenS0ulz
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Name:  compund a.png
Views: 103
Size:  12.6 KB
I really don't have a clue what is happening in this question. Is it an electrophilic addition? Or is it something to do with the alcohol group?
EierVonSatan
Badges: 21
Report 5 years ago
Where did you get this question from? :p:

It is something to do with the alcohol group then something to do with electrophilic addition.
BrokenS0ulz
Rep:
?
(Original post by EierVonSatan)
Where did you get this question from? :p:

It is something to do with the alcohol group then something to do with electrophilic addition.
It's a question from a past paper. Why? :P

So the alcohol group breaks off heterolytically (idk if that's a word) leaving positive charge on CH2 so H-Cl bond breaks heterolytically making Cl- so Cl- joins onto CH2+. Then just an electrophilic addition of H-Cl across C=C bond. On a different side each time to make 2 products?

Is it really that complicated? It's only 2 marks so I would have expected some hidden trick making it much simpler. Is there one?
EierVonSatan
Badges: 21
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by BrokenS0ulz)
It's a question from a past paper. Why? :P
I don't immediately recognise it as A-level material.

So the alcohol group breaks off heterolytically (idk if that's a word) leaving positive charge on CH2 so H-Cl bond breaks heterolytically making Cl- so Cl- joins onto CH2+. Then just an electrophilic addition of H-Cl across C=C bond. On a different side each time to make 2 products?
Close but not quite.

HCl acts as an acid, the alcohol as a base to give Alkene-OH2+ which is then attacked by Cl- via nucleophilic substitution to lose water (good leaving group). Once you have Alkene-Cl, this can then react via electrophilic addition in the usual way to end up with two isomers as you said.

Is it really that complicated? It's only 2 marks so I would have expected some hidden trick making it much simpler. Is there one?
Not really. Could just look at the molecular formula and think ''we've lost the oxygen and we've ended up with a saturated compound, lets try drawing some random stuff'' :p:

Better to understand what's going on, though.
BrokenS0ulz
Rep:
?
(Original post by EierVonSatan)
I don't immediately recognise it as A-level material.

Close but not quite.

HCl acts as an acid, the alcohol as a base to give Alkene-OH2+ which is then attacked by Cl- via nucleophilic substitution to lose water (good leaving group). Once you have Alkene-Cl, this can then react via electrophilic addition in the usual way to end up with two isomers as you said.

Not really. Could just look at the molecular formula and think ''we've lost the oxygen and we've ended up with a saturated compound, lets try drawing some random stuff'' :p:

Better to understand what's going on, though.
Ohh thanks I just tried drawing out the molecular formula of the compound before and after and then I noticed that actually it is quite simple.

Thanks for the help though
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • University of Bradford
    Postgraduate Open day/Evening Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • Queen's University Belfast
    Postgraduate LIVE Masters & PhD Study Fair Postgraduate
    Wed, 4 Mar '20

Do you get study leave?