History / french / economics gcse help?

Watch
Tols_
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm really worried about my French History and Economics gcse exams coming up in a week, can anyone help me or offer me any advice to at least get a B in these three subjects? I do Edexcel history (Crime and punishment and Nazi Germany) My teacher is completely useless and hasn't taught my class how to structure the answers for the 4, 9 , 12 and 16 mark questions that are going to come up. For my French I have my 60% secured as an A but I always get E's and F's in the past papers and I really want a B!

Does anyone do Economics OCR at gcse and can offer revision techniques?
pbunny
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Tols_)
I'm really worried about my French History and Economics gcse exams coming up in a week, can anyone help me or offer me any advice to at least get a B in these three subjects? I do Edexcel history (Crime and punishment and Nazi Germany) My teacher is completely useless and hasn't taught my class how to structure the answers for the 4, 9 , 12 and 16 mark questions that are going to come up. For my French I have my 60% secured as an A but I always get E's and F's in the past papers and I really want a B!

Does anyone do Economics OCR at gcse and can offer revision techniques?
French: Learn a lot of vocab, practice past paper and practice writing essays
Economics: It's a conceptual subject (many people don't realise that) so rote memorization won't get you very far. I suggest you write notes and try to understand everything before you move onto the next thing. And ofcourse do many past papers.

Can't help with history because i don't take it!

Good Luck!
L'Evil Fish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by pbunny)
You don't do essays at gcse for exams
pbunny
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by L'Evil Fish)
You don't do essays at gcse for exams
I do IGCSE and Paper 4 of our exam consists of writing 2 essays and your also required to write one for Paper 2. Sucks for us IGCSE students
Tols_
Rep:
?
Economics: It's a conceptual subject (many people don't realise that) so rote memorization won't get you very far. I suggest you write notes and try to understand everything before you move onto the next thing. And ofcourse do many past papers.

Can't help with history because i don't take it!

Good Luck!
Thank you so much!
Tols_
Rep:
?
Still need help with history, my crime and punishment exam is on 16th of May and the Nazi Germany is on the 23rd!
C0balt
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I do IGCSE and Paper 4 of our exam consists of writing 2 essays and your also required to write one for Paper 2. Sucks for us IGCSE students
Are you doing CIE?

I'd say they are not essays though...only short letter or diary or something :P
yellowcopter
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm assuming that's just to make up for the lack of internally assessed coursework in iGCSE, is it not?

As far as I know iGCSE subjects don't have coursework but correct me if I'm wrong.
pbunny
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by C0balt)
Are you doing CIE?

I'd say they are not essays though...only short letter or diary or something :P
Yep and i guess
pbunny
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by yellowcopter)
I'm assuming that's just to make up for the lack of internally assessed coursework in iGCSE, is it not?

As far as I know iGCSE subjects don't have coursework but correct me if I'm wrong.
Yep, but we do coursework for subjects like English, and sciences/maths also have a coursework component but most schools don't do them as the written paper is an easier alternative.
C0balt
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by yellowcopter)

We dont have coursework for French but we do need to prepare oral presentation (though I assume normal GCSEs do as well)

We have coursework for majority of subject. English language coursework is three 800 words essay for example. But most schools don't choose maths coursework and for science, you could do practical for real but my school doesn't have the equipment so we have "Alternative to practical" paper. Same goes for Geography, you can go field work but we do "alternative to coursework". History makes us do essay or some sort for coursework but we are lazy so we picked "alternative to coursework" too which is an extra exam of 1 hour :P
yellowcopter
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by C0balt)
We dont have coursework for French but we do need to prepare oral presentation (though I assume normal GCSEs do as well)

We have coursework for majority of subject. English language coursework is three 800 words essay for example. But most schools don't choose maths coursework and for science, you could do practical for real but my school doesn't have the equipment so we have "Alternative to practical" paper. Same goes for Geography, you can go field work but we do "alternative to coursework". History makes us do essay or some sort for coursework but we are lazy so we picked "alternative to coursework" too which is an extra exam of 1 hour :P
GCSE has one too. Cool, technically then GCSE and iGCSE are virtually the same. You guys are lucky to have that alternative though, as those who are bad at coursework can easily choose to do the exam option instead which we don't have.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (599)
33.88%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (738)
41.74%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (352)
19.91%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.47%

Watched Threads