The Student Room Group

help ks3 science

1. The diagram below shows the path of a meteor as it gets closer to the Earth.
The meteor is shown in three positions: A, B and C.
(a) The path of the meteor is affected by the Earth’s gravity.
The arrow shows the direction of the force due to gravity acting on the
meteor at B.
(i) On the diagram draw an arrow to show the direction of the force of
gravity on the meteor at A.
Use a ruler.
(ii) On the diagram draw an arrow to show the direction of the force of
gravity on the meteor at C.
Use a ruler.
(iii) How does the force of gravity on the meteor change as it travels
from A to C?
b) What happens to the speed of the meteor as it travels from A to B?
(c) When the meteor enters the Earth’s atmosphere, three forces act on the
meteor. Gravity and upthrust are two of these forces.
Give the name of the other force.
The direction of the force of gravity always acts towards the centre of earth, the rest are kind of hard to help you with if we haven't got a diagram.

I assume the path is elliptical, think about what would happen to the gravitational force as the meteor gets closer to earth (F is inversely proportional to the distance between the two masses). Once you have figured this out, think about what happens to the velocity when the force due to gravity on it changes.

For the final part, I assume by "gravity" they mean the weight of the meteor. Think about what acts on anything moving through the air (i.e. why do parachutes reach a terminal velocity etc.), unless I am mistaken this is a different force to upthrust.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by crosbycasey56
1. The diagram below shows the path of a meteor as it gets closer to the Earth.
The meteor is shown in three positions: A, B and C.
(a) The path of the meteor is affected by the Earth’s gravity.
The arrow shows the direction of the force due to gravity acting on the
meteor at B.
(i) On the diagram draw an arrow to show the direction of the force of
gravity on the meteor at A.
Use a ruler.
(ii) On the diagram draw an arrow to show the direction of the force of
gravity on the meteor at C.
Use a ruler.
(iii) How does the force of gravity on the meteor change as it travels
from A to C?
b) What happens to the speed of the meteor as it travels from A to B?
(c) When the meteor enters the Earth’s atmosphere, three forces act on the
meteor. Gravity and upthrust are two of these forces.
Give the name of the other force.

Also, just to keep things clear, kindly post the questions in the relevant section i.e. Physics questions in this section:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=131

And the chemistry related questions in this one:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=130

For all sorts of science related study help, visit these forums:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=130

:smile:
[QUOTE="Davelittle;47421263"]The direction of the force of gravity always acts towards the centre of earth, the rest are kind of hard to help you with if we haven't got a diagram.

I assume the path is elliptical, think about what would happen to the gravitational force as the meteor gets closer to earth (F is inversely proportional to the distance between the two masses). Once you have figured this out, think about what happens to the velocity when the force due to gravity on it changes.

For the final part, I assume by "gravity" they mean the weight of the meteor. Think about what acts on anything moving through the air (i.e. why do parachutes reach a terminal velocity etc.), unless I am mistaken this is a different force to upthrust.[/QUOTE

its first question of http://www.testbase.co.uk/sec/Resources/sats/K3_SCI/K3_SCI_2010_5-7_Paper2.pdf
[QUOTE="crosbycasey56;47421479"]
Original post by Davelittle
The direction of the force of gravity always acts towards the centre of earth, the rest are kind of hard to help you with if we haven't got a diagram.

For the final part, I assume by "gravity" they mean the weight of the meteor. Think about what acts on anything moving through the air (i.e. why do parachutes reach a terminal velocity etc.), unless I am mistaken this is a different force to upthrust.[/QUOTE

its first question of http://www.testbase.co.uk/sec/Resources/sats/K3_SCI/K3_SCI_2010_5-7_Paper2.pdf

Ok, what do you think the answers are? Using the info I just gave you
[QUOTE="Davelittle;47421509"]

Ok, what do you think the answers are? Using the info I just gave you

a is pointing like b but has less gravitational pull and c has a small arrow
[QUOTE="crosbycasey56;47421621"]

a is pointing like b but has less gravitational pull and c has a small arrow

All the arrows should be pointing towards the centre of the earth and I don't think you need to worry about the size of the arrow as it is only asking for direction (not size of force) for parts i. and ii.

All the arrows should be pointing towards the centre of the earth and I don't think you need to worry about the size of the arrow as it is only asking for direction (not size of force) for parts i. and ii.[/Q

thanks a lot:smile:

All the arrows should be pointing towards the centre of the earth and I don't think you need to worry about the size of the arrow as it is only asking for direction (not size of force) for parts i. and ii.[/Q

thanks a lot:smile:

No worries mate

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending