The Student Room Group

Failing second year of uni ? So upset

I started well at the begining of the year getting 58s and 64s ect but then I sort of flopped because on one assignment which I got a 45 but because of my other assignment my average sits at 51. But I have been finding the commute really hard and stressful since last year and my house is in a mess my parents are doing up my room so now I have to sleep on the matress downstairs. I also have deadlines this week which I really need to push the grades up and im so stressed out. I could end up with a third if I dont pull one of my modules up as I got 48 for the last assignment and now I have an exam which I really need to focus.

Thing is I found the commute really hard from last year, even before I started uni but my parents didnt let me move out and I found it really hard at home. Its aslo hard that my parents didnt let me move away. I could end up with a third this year and I really dont want that, I work hard but my circumstances are difficult. I really dont want to re-take the year as it changes too much. What can I do ? I have been to the doctors about stress too. I even cry at times :frown:

I dont want to re take the year :frown:

Scroll to see replies

This is going to sound harsh, but you can't blame those things for your poor academic performance.

I commute to and from uni every day, and I could most definitely find a way to blame the commute for any poor marks I might receive, but rather than allow that to happen, I work my butt off to ensure that the commute I make each and every day is worth it.

I'm sure you must have had a say as to when your room got re-done? Surely during the academic year wasn't a great idea? If you didn't have a say, then you just have to accept it and get on with it. Sleeping downstairs shouldn't affect your grades in a way that sleeping in your room would :/.

It sounds to me like there are some deeper issues at home rather than just the commute, but no one can help you if you don't address them.
Reply 2
Original post by GoingToBurst
This is going to sound harsh, but you can't blame those things for your poor academic performance.

I commute to and from uni every day, and I could most definitely find a way to blame the commute for any poor marks I might receive, but rather than allow that to happen, I work my butt off to ensure that the commute I make each and every day is worth it.

I'm sure you must have had a say as to when your room got re-done? Surely during the academic year wasn't a great idea? If you didn't have a say, then you just have to accept it and get on with it. Sleeping downstairs shouldn't affect your grades in a way that sleeping in your room would :/.

It sounds to me like there are some deeper issues at home rather than just the commute, but no one can help you if you don't address them.

But how can it be my fault I never wanted to go the this uni, I wanted to go to Liverpool, my parents sort of tricked me and now im facing the consequences, there's always arguements too at home which makes it harder for me to work as I can hear it. No I didnt have any say in my room being they just did it and wouldn listen to me anyway.
Original post by IMBCFC
But how can it be my fault I never wanted to go the this uni, I wanted to go to Liverpool, my parents sort of tricked me and now im facing the consequences, there's always arguements too at home which makes it harder for me to work as I can hear it. No I didnt have any say in my room being they just did it and wouldn listen to me anyway.

I don't understand how your parents tricked you into going to the uni you're at now?
My family are loud too, I just bought a cheap pair of noise mufflers as they block out the noise way better than any noise cancelling headphones do.

I understand that your situation sucks and you aren't happy, but you have to accept that you are currently in that position and have to either get on with things or accept the consequences.

At the end of the day, you're an adult in higher education and only you are responsible for how well you do. Yes, external things can influence your ability to succeed, but it's up to you to make the most out of the situation you're in. I assume that you are at least 18, and therefore your parents cannot control you any longer. If you can't work at home, see about moving out this summer. If you don't like your uni, see about transferring to the one you want to go to. This is YOUR education, not your parents'. You need to do what is right for you and your ambitions otherwise it's just a massive waste of time and resources.
Reply 4
I am trying but the circumstances are hard but I should get an extension for my assignments that will give me some breathing space. Well when I was applying I realised the commute was going to be too much so I wanted to change to my insurance choice which was Liverpool, when I was going to do that I told my parents and they were saying no it would be easier for me at home, I still wanted to go but then my parents weren't talking to me or anything they made it out as if I murdered someone, not talking to me or anything. So I thought if I move my relationship with my parents would become really bad so I go to this uni now. It was really hard as it was a big decision for me and my parents not talking to me didn't help either.
Reply 5
I know people who had worse situations and managed to get a first. I'm not saying it won't effect your performance but to me it sounds like your making excuses. You keep blaming them yet you never really stood up for yourself. If
It's noisy at home why don't you do your work at university and then go back home? Or even go to the library? I'm going to commute starting September it's an hour and 30 minutes away. I know how I'm like I know I'm going to be tired after the long travel so I'm thinking of solutions now before I even start. Instead of feeling sorry for yourself you should look at others for inspiration and feel more motivated. At the end of the day I don't think your parents will be happy with a 3rd so why don't you talk to them? I'm not sure if this is sounding mean but I just find you blaming minor issues like this the reason for you gettin a 3rd quite pathetic. I mean I would get 2:2 but a 3rd i know people few years older who got a 3rd because they were partying away and not studying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I'm not really sure your living arrangements are all entirely to blame. You only need to find a quite space to study for some hours. It doesn't have to be in your room. It could be inthe kitchen or university library. If you think moving out next year when you are resitting we help you focus then, for your own sake, move out.
Original post by IMBCFC
I am trying but the circumstances are hard but I should get an extension for my assignments that will give me some breathing space. Well when I was applying I realised the commute was going to be too much so I wanted to change to my insurance choice which was Liverpool, when I was going to do that I told my parents and they were saying no it would be easier for me at home, I still wanted to go but then my parents weren't talking to me or anything they made it out as if I murdered someone, not talking to me or anything. So I thought if I move my relationship with my parents would become really bad so I go to this uni now. It was really hard as it was a big decision for me and my parents not talking to me didn't help either.

You absolutely shouldn't get an extension because your home is noisy and because you commute. Consider the students living in halls, do you think they live in a quiet environment? No.
Do they still get the work done? Yes.

As far as the university is concerned, you are an adult who chose to make the commute and therefore will be given no sympathy. I commute to uni, I also work in the evenings, then I come home after my 12 hour day to catch up with anything I may not have had time to do in the library. If you want to do well at university, you will, no matter the circumstances. Stop blaming your parents.
Reply 8
You absolutely shouldn't get an extension because your home is noisy and because you commute. Consider the students living in halls, do you think they live in a quiet environment? No.
Do they still get the work done? Yes.

As far as the university is concerned, you are an adult who chose to make the commute and therefore will be given no sympathy. I commute to uni, I also work in the evenings, then I come home after my 12 hour day to catch up with anything I may not have had time to do in the library. If you want to do well at university, you will, no matter the circumstances. Stop blaming your parents.

I'm going to ask for an extension because I have been ill with an infection which lasted a week. If it wasn't for that I would have the work done and I have also had stress related symptoms such as stomach problems that's why.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IMBCFC
I'm going to ask for an extension because I have been ill with an infection which lasted a week. If it wasn't for that I would have the work done and I have also had stress related symptoms such as stomach problems that's why.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you have been genuinely ill, then I'm sorry to hear that, but you can't blame me for thinking you were asking for an extension due to your home life when that is what you've spoken about in this entire thread.

Again, I'm afraid stress related stomach issues don't sit well with me as a reason for an extension. I suffer with serious anxiety and stress and know the feeling of stomach issues all too well. I vomit up to 15x per day when it comes to important deadlines and exams, but I don't use that as an excuse for an extension. Who wants to prolong that stress?

I hate to have sounded like a bitch through this thread, but I really believe you need to hear these things. You sound quite immature and like you aren't willing to accept responsibility for your own grades. Your grades will never improve if you can't accept that you (and the way you deal with certain circumstances) are the reason that you aren't doing very well. Students get ill, students have commutes, jobs, loud families/housemates. No student has the perfect surrounding 100% of the time and no student is in perfect health 100% of the time. Does that stop them from succeeding? Not at all. If you want (and I mean really ​want, not just want the grade without accepting you have to put the work in) to do well in your upcoming exams, you will, but no one can help you with that other than you.
Main reason why I'm moving out to university. Cba with the hassle.
Reply 11
Speak to your tutor or your head and just pile on the tears, they'll extend your deadline ignore the "tough love" people are giving you in this thread they don't know your situation so they can't judge you. Not everyone is cutout for the commute every morning. I had especially annoying motion sickness so catching the bus/train to uni every morning was a big no-can-do so I moved to the city.
Original post by IMBCFC

Posted from TSR Mobile

Saying you're ill with an infection is stupid. Unless you saw a doctor who can confirm it and you have a doctor note they won't care.

I had a virus, and currently battling a chest infection and stressed out yet if I was in your shoes I wouldn't consider an extension, as I would have to get a doctor note to prove it which sometimes you have to pay for and in my uni, you would need to see the doctor when you were first ill then go back for a follow up before they would even issue you a doctor note.
Original post by Red one
Speak to your tutor or your head and just pile on the tears, they'll extend your deadline ignore the "tough love" people are giving you in this thread they don't know your situation so they can't judge you. Not everyone is cutout for the commute every morning. I had especially annoying motion sickness so catching the bus/train to uni every morning was a big no-can-do so I moved to the city.

Good luck having a career if you can't handle not living within walking distance. You can't move house every time you get a new job, and the job market is not such that you can rely on getting a job near where you live. There are things that alleviate motion sickness.

Also, it isn't tough love, it's called being realistic and addressing the situation like an adult. If we all got poor grades whenever something rough happened then no one would ever get consistent good grades.
Reply 14
Good luck having a career if you can't handle not living within walking distance. You can't move house every time you get a new job, and the job market is not such that you can rely on getting a job near where you live. There are things that alleviate motion sickness.

Also, it isn't tough love, it's called being realistic and addressing the situation like an adult. If we all got poor grades whenever something rough happened then no one would ever get consistent good grades.

You don't even know the OP's situation beyond the fact that he's been displaced out of his bedroom and that his home life is chaotic due to an undisclosed reason. The extended deadline is available for students in the OP's situation so I see no harm in utilizing the system to his advantage to slow things down a bit.

It's not uncommon for students to commute two hours to university which is especially distressing if you have motion sickness I would imagine most people's work is not 2hours+ away in fact people move to be near their jobs. I'm not sure what you're getting at here and I also don't understand why you're taking this hard-line approach when the OP's circumstance screams extenuating circumstance.
Original post by Red one
You don't even know the OP's situation beyond the fact that he's been displaced out of his bedroom and that his home life is chaotic due to an undisclosed reason. The extended deadline is available for students in the OP's situation so I see no harm in utilizing the system to his advantage to slow things down a bit.

It's not uncommon for students to commute two hours to university which is especially distressing if you have motion sickness I would imagine most people's work is not 2hours+ away in fact people move to be near their jobs. I'm not sure what you're getting at here and I also don't understand why you're taking this hard-line approach when the OP's circumstance screams extenuating circumstance.

You're right, I don't know the OP's situation outside the information they have provided, hence I can't be shot down for giving what I feel is an appropriate opinion on the situation presented to me.

I have never heard of a student commuting 2+ hours each way to University (not that I'm saying it doesn't happen) and I would doubt that the OP is commuting such a long distance. It might just be ignorance here, but I would assume if the commute was that long, the OP would have mentioned that.
With regards to moving close to work, yes, many people do choose to do that, but it is entirely unrealistic to think that you can just pack up shop and move every time you get a new job. Eventually, you settle down in a home, most likely with a partner/family and when that happens, you can't just move whenever you fancy being within walking distance to work. It also isn't always possible to get a home close to your work, so there's that.

I guess we just have to agree to disagree. I don't think the OPs circumstance screams extenuating circumstance from what has been posted.

Loud family members? Sucks, but not an extenuating circumstance. Like I said, most students live in halls which are notoriously noisy, noise isn't an extenuating circumstance.

Commute? I commute to uni, so again, I don't see this as an extenuating circumstance. You either get on with it or you don't. If the commute is over 2 hours then yes, that sucks big time, but the OP mentioned that the only thing stopping them moving out was their parents. As far as I'm concerned, if you're adult enough to go to uni, you're adult enough to make your own choices regarding that and should be choosing a uni based on what is right for you.

Sleeping downstairs? Sorry, not an extenuating circumstance. Bedroom is being decorated, OP won't be sleeping downstairs forever.

Virus? Sucks to be ill. It really does, but unless you felt bad enough to see a doctor and get a medical note, then that wouldn't stand at my uni.

Stomach issues due to stress? This is the bit I have most sympathy for. I have severe anxiety and stress issues that cause me to vomit up to 15x a day when it's at it's worst (I lost a stone and a half in the 3.5 weeks of my exams last semester). I completely understand that. However, like I mentioned before, I don't see that as a reason to ask for an extension. I can't imagine anything worse than prolonging that.

I'm not purposely trying to be rude about it (although it seems like I'm being rude anyway), I just don't feel like the situation the OP has presented would allow for extenuating circumstances. My tutors would laugh you out of their office if you tried bringing some of those issues up to them. I'm trying to get the OP to realise that no matter what is going on outside of uni, you can't let it heavily affect your studies otherwise nothing would ever get done.
I wouldn't call it tough love more like being realistic :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by Red one

Noone cares Red one. You're always wrong about everything you write so you may as well just go and practice your multiplication or something.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 18
You're right, I don't know the OP's situation outside the information they have provided, hence I can't be shot down for giving what I feel is an appropriate opinion on the situation presented to me.

Or just don't pass off judgements on the OP (or anyone for that matter) without seeing the bigger picture and tone down your moral outrage. We don't all have the work ethic of the Chinese and the OP isn't a robot he's even admitted to crying a few times so he does care about his degree.

I have never heard of a student commuting 2+ hours each way to University (not that I'm saying it doesn't happen) and I would doubt that the OP is commuting such a long distance. It might just be ignorance here, but I would assume if the commute was that long, the OP would have mentioned that.
With regards to moving close to work, yes, many people do choose to do that, but it is entirely unrealistic to think that you can just pack up shop and move every time you get a new job. Eventually, you settle down in a home, most likely with a partner/family and when that happens, you can't just move whenever you fancy being within walking distance to work. It also isn't always possible to get a home close to your work, so there's that.

My sister commutes from a nearby city to B'ham every morning and it takes her two hours and a lot of her friends commute as well which is why she actually says that she enjoys it since she has company. I'm the exact opposite to her and I hate long journeys nevermind making them everyday. I've tried every sickness pill under the sun but something about the motion of the vehicle just turns my stomach and I end up sitting in a deluge of my own breakfast. L

I don't understand why you're talking about jobs when the issue here is very specific to university life a time when people are going through a lot of changes both internally and externally (i.e. in the OP's case his home life). People don't change jobs a lot at least not after they've decided to go into a job using their undergraduate degree, it's not as often as you would have me believe.

I guess we just have to agree to disagree. I don't think the OPs circumstance screams extenuating circumstance from what has been posted.
Loud family members? Sucks, but not an extenuating circumstance. Like I said, most students live in halls which are notoriously noisy, noise isn't an extenuating circumstance.

1. He admits to crying often - could be underlying anxiety or another mental health issue which could be further screwing with him

2. He admits to chaotic home life - Messes with his study plans and unsupportive family life screams internal issues

3. Displaced from his bedroom - again chaotic surroundings can make you stressed not to mention not finding your notes or old lectures which are essential for the essays the OP needs to hand in.

Commute? I commute to uni, so again, I don't see this as an extenuating circumstance. You either get on with it or you don't. If the commute is over 2 hours then yes, that sucks big time, but the OP mentioned that the only thing stopping them moving out was their parents. As far as I'm concerned, if you're adult enough to go to uni, you're adult enough to make your own choices regarding that and should be choosing a uni based on what is right for you.

You're painting a very black and white picture, it's not always this straightforward. Some people don't have a choice to which uni they go to due to clearing or just finding a university which matches your qualifications so sometimes you're not really happy where you end up. In fact the OP mentioned that his parents had a major influence in him going to his current university which wasn't his first choice.

The commute actually has a huge impact on his social life as well, because you always have to leave early to make the bus/train so you fail to partake in activities ranging from joining societies to basic things like meeting up with friends. This further contributes to the OP's downtrodden state and I can understand why he's feeling so emotional.

Sleeping downstairs? Sorry, not an extenuating circumstance. Bedroom is being decorated, OP won't be sleeping downstairs forever.

Virus? Sucks to be ill. It really does, but unless you felt bad enough to see a doctor and get a medical note, then that wouldn't stand at my uni.

We don't know how long he's been downstairs though and depending on when it happened it could've had a massive impact on his grades. I know that I find it hard to study anywhere apart from my bedroom.

I recommend he gets a doctor's note if he can, worth trying.

Stomach issues due to stress? This is the bit I have most sympathy for. I have severe anxiety and stress issues that cause me to vomit up to 15x a day when it's at it's worst (I lost a stone and a half in the 3.5 weeks of my exams last semester). I completely understand that. However, like I mentioned before, I don't see that as a reason to ask for an extension. I can't imagine anything worse than prolonging that.

In your opinion what is an acceptable reason to ask for an extension? Because I know people who gotten an extension on some project we were doing earlier this year and all they did was email the lecturer and he got back to them within a week with auspicious news.

I'm not purposely trying to be rude about it (although it seems like I'm being rude anyway), I just don't feel like the situation the OP has presented would allow for extenuating circumstances. My tutors would laugh you out of their office if you tried bringing some of those issues up to them. I'm trying to get the OP to realise that no matter what is going on outside of uni, you can't let it heavily affect your studies otherwise nothing would ever get done.

I appreciate that you are not being mean on purpose however it certainly comes across as you're being judgmental (others can chime in here) which is only going to add to the OP's stressed state when he came on here to ask for help. I'm not saying you should change your opinions however phrasing them in a more sympathetic tone would certainly make your posts better received.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Trustno1
I'm going to commute starting September it's an hour and 30 minutes away.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Same. :cool:

It's a good time to read through lecture notes. Or to watch Youtube videos on your phone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending