The Student Room Group

Labour announced they want to open our borders to immigration?

Basically they do not want to cap immigration, and instead want a fully functional open door policy. I do not oppose immigration but surely this is just stupid is it not??

Scroll to see replies

No point mentioning it on TSR- they all love immigration even if you spell out the disadvantages as I have.

Apparently polish builders working here stimulates the economy but if British builders had been employed instead, they wouldn't stimulate the economy :rolleyes:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by billydisco
No point mentioning it on TSR- they all love immigration even if you spell out the disadvantages as I have.

Apparently polish builders working here stimulates the economy but if British builders had been employed instead they wouldn't :rolleyes:

Try finding a capable British builder out there. They don't help themselves.
[video="youtube;RG1-PumR7R0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG1-PumR7R0[/video]
Original post by MatureStudent36
Try finding a capable British builder out there. They don't help themselves.

Builder was the first job off top of my head- their point was that if immigrants move here it stimulates the economy because they spend money- oh and British workers dont spend money here???
Builder was the first job off top of my head- their point was that if immigrants move here it stimulates the economy because they spend money- oh and British workers dont spend money here???

Look at it this was. A population creates a GDP. Increase that population, and you increase the nations GDP.

Ever wondered why an ever increasing GDP never really equates to an ever increasing basic level of wealth? The increasing wealth has to be shared around more people.

I'll have a dig around for the article, but it came out last year that labour admitted they'd git their immigration policy wrong a few years back. It was driven by trying to antagonise the Tories to criticise immigration so they could then accuse the Tories if being racist.
Look at it this was. A population creates a GDP. Increase that population, and you increase the nations GDP.

Ever wondered why an ever increasing GDP never really equates to an ever increasing basic level of wealth? The increasing wealth has to be shared around more people.

I'll have a dig around for the article, but it came out last year that labour admitted they'd git their immigration policy wrong a few years back. It was driven by trying to antagonise the Tories to criticise immigration so they could then accuse the Tories if being racist.

I know- one would need to use GDP, per capita, adjusted for inflation.

They didn't do it for that reason, they did it to "destroy the social fabric of the traditional right-wing" or something to that effect. In other words they wanted immigrants to "invade", turn this place in to a Ghetto and guarantee votes (along with the benefits culture keeping the underclass voting for them).

Lower class people really are stupid if they cannot see how much damage Labour does to their livelihoods.
Reply 7
open borders only serve capitalists
they have larger market to sell their products, the increased competition among employees will make them willing to work for less, etc

british borders should be like the australia's, new zealand's, usa's, etc
they should let in, only people who have something exceptional to offer and only people who do jobs that there are no local people to do them

simple as that
I know- one would need to use GDP, per capita, adjusted for inflation.

They didn't do it for that reason, they did it to "destroy the social fabric of the traditional right-wing" or something to that effect. In other words they wanted immigrants to "invade", turn this place in to a Ghetto and guarantee votes (along with the benefits culture keeping the underclass voting for them).

Lower class people really are stupid if they cannot see how much damage Labour does to their livelihoods.

labour's been screwing over the working man for decades.

Because they know the "anti-thatcher" brigade will be around for another 20 years yet.....

Here's an interesting hypothesis- most Labour voters don't support Labour policy- they just hate the Tories....
Original post by EatAndRevise
[video="youtube;RG1-PumR7R0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG1-PumR7R0[/video]

I'm a social democrat, and those are lefty tossers.

... how?? look at unemployment under Thatcher if you want something to laugh about.
if you do econ, you realise how much the advantages of migration outweigh the disadvantages, However i'm against it; i just want net migration to be equal to those leaving the country.
Original post by i am genius
... how?? look at unemployment under Thatcher if you want something to laugh about.

Transitional time. Like it or not the UK is in a stronger position post thatcher than it was pre thatcher.

It wasn't just the UK that went through that transitional phase. A lot changed throughout the 80s in pretty much all western nations.
Transitional time. Like it or not the UK is in a stronger position post thatcher than it was pre thatcher.

It wasn't just the UK that went through that transitional phase. A lot changed throughout the 80s in pretty much all western nations.

I know that, the transition from Keynesian policy to Neoliberal policy during this time is pretty obvious, the vast inequality (the gini coefficient increased a lot) and unemployment as a result of her policies was very bad though for the working classes.

Yes Thatcher made people unemployed- thats not "screwing them over". She had to make them unemployed because certain industries were not profitable. If you dont believe this- ask yourself why did no private industry take over the coal mines which were closed? Because the private sector knew they weren't going to make money.

At the other end of the spectrum you have Labour allowing mass-immigration of low-skilled workers who will drive-up rental prices (Eastern Europeans tend not to get mortgages) and increase the supply of Labour, causing salaries to suppress......

Couple the above with the "green taxes" on energy bills and Labour created the current cost of living crisis themselves!
(edited 9 years ago)
I know that, the transition from Keynesian policy to Neoliberal policy during this time is pretty obvious, the vast inequality (the gini coefficient increased a lot) and unemployment as a result of her policies was very bad though for the working classes.

I, like many working class families lot have improved dramatically. The improvement in social mobility meant that I was no longer fodder for an inefficient local coal mine.

Immigrants also disproportionately vote for the Labour party. I think this makes immigration restrictionism an unstable equilibrium in policy terms. Unless incomers (every possible group that a palatable policy could create) have exactly the same political distribution as the natives, it's always in the interest of at least one party to import more voters. At some point a tipping point is reached at which they can afford to lose native voters because they are being replaced at least as quickly by immigrant voters. At this point control is lost and runaway immigration completely changes the demographic makeup of the country. The USA seems to be reaching this tipping point whereas in Europe all countries seem to still be at an earlier stage, and are mostly controlled by the descendants of their 1950 populations. This is probably only an accident of geography; Europe is almost an island except for Belarus and Russia, which are hard to get out of.

I'm not sure what the solution is, but I'd put more faith in building a strong consensus on integration of immigrants who do arrive, rather than restriction.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by EatAndRevise

Aha, this was hilarious. Boris is amazing.
I don't see any problem with it, aslong as they work and don't just claim benefits. There's plenty of jobs out there that people will refuse to do because it's 'beneath them'. Them people are the problem, because they sit at home claiming benefits unless the perfect job comes along for them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending