The Student Room Group

Any Other Interesting Sports?

Football, Tennis and Basketball are the most important sports but are not the most interesting to some folks. What would you say is a very interesting sport to play. I was leaning towards Cricket or Hockey because it is all about teamwork and seems different. Also, they aren't the most popular games out there. What do you think? Any really cool sports that aren't as recognized?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
ball all day err day
Australian Football (aussie rules) looks quite fun and interesting as there aren't many sports that are similar that I can think of. Not very popular in this country either but is televised on sports channels sometimes.
Reply 3
Cricket is **** to play :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
most important sports to who, in terms of the world it goes football, cricket, then rugby probably. http://www.economist.com/blogs/gametheory/2011/09/ranking-sports%E2%80%99-popularity.
basketball is only really big in the us, tennis is popular everywhere but not the main sport in any country really
No idea how you're working out "important", but never mind. Anyway, Sailing.
Reply 6
Original post by Roloing_around
Australian Football (aussie rules) looks quite fun and interesting as there aren't many sports that are similar that I can think of. Not very popular in this country either but is televised on sports channels sometimes.

This. BT Sport have started to show a couple of AFL games a week (normally at annoying times though) and I've really enjoyed watching this. For any Rugby or Football fans, I think AFL is a brilliant sport to watch and one which I would really love to have a go at one day. Really recommend watching this.
Original post by Demi7
Football, Tennis and Basketball are the most important sports but are not the most interesting to some folks. What would you say is a very interesting sport to play. I was leaning towards Cricket or Hockey because it is all about teamwork and seems different. Also, they aren't the most popular games out there. What do you think? Any really cool sports that aren't as recognized?

Lacrosse.

Huge sport in the USA, starting to pick up pace over here with a lot of Universities having teams and with a number of leagues running for non-university sides too.

Why is it great? Well it's very fast, constant movement from all players and even at University level over here plenty of players have shots that top 90mph, physical, if you want to stop somebody passing you there is absolutely nothing stopping you just dropping your shoulder and putting him on the ground, takes a great amount of teamwork to really excel as a team but there is still plenty of scope for individual plays and for a single moment of skill to change a game. Everybody can do everything, yes you do have defenders, midfielders and attackers but it's a very fluid game and it's very common to see defenders taking part in attacks, or breaking out of defence with the ball, and I've even seen goalkeepers running it out of defence.

This isn't the best video around, but it's the first that I came across that shows more than just the flashiest goals and actually shows proper phases of play at a decent level.

I play lacrosse, I live in sheffield I play for the england academy, I know a couple of british people who are playing/ commited to play lacrosse in american college
Yes, I like to play Archery game because it requires some elements of good shooting like attentiveness, control and stability.
Yes, I feel that there are some cool sports that are not recognized. But I used to play archery. I think that archery has its own standard because it had been included in Olympics program since 1900.
Rowing is great team sport. Very competitive and also very hard work.
Go for a cheeky badminton game
Reply 13
There used to be some very strange 'sports' in the Olympics,including,

Naked Rat Catching

Pigeon Shooting on Stilts*

Women's Pig Slaughtering

The 100 metres dash while holding ones Breath

Backwards running Mile

Blindfold Pole Vault

And of course the infamous 'Slave' Whipping ( it was called something else,a word I don't think I can allude to even in asterisks!)

* I believe we are still Olympic champions at this
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 14
horse riding is the most difficult but the best sport <3
Falconry - considered a sport for some reason! :P

Probably something to do with the amount of running you have to do to keep up with your bird after you've flown them free.
Try speedcubing, it's really fun.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
I'm a deep sea diver and spelunker of a weekend
Original post by shems
horse riding is the most difficult but the best sport <3

Hahaha no.
Ice hockey is the best sport in my view

Quick Reply

Latest