This discussion is closed.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
Invest in the american stock market. But it takes money to make money.
Which has been flatlining all year. Good one!
maximusmak
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
Invest in the american stock market. But it takes money to make money.
opprox. how much do u need to start off, realistically
Mr White
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by maximusmak)
i want to ask the wise people out there this question.

what is the quickest most realistic way of getting rich, without using any thing involving crime or famousity (if theres such word)
Get baptised - that way you can be spiritually rich. And what else matters?
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
But they're all getting slaughtered.
Not really. You will notice it is mainly dumb Americans getting killed. They are dumb enough to go into the 'hot spot' areas where they are likely to get killed. My m8 was offered a post outside Basra on 3k a week, there is a very slim chance he would have been killed if he would have gone.
MuniE
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Bhaal85)
I can't stand people who simply say 'invest in the stock market, and you'll be rich'. There is a higher element of risk, plus you would need quite a bit of capital to make real money, once you've paid all the administration costs, stockbrokers, etc. you won't have that much if you only invested a little.
I agree that many think it is easier then it actually is but this post is stupid. First off you will never make any money if you use a broker or an account with a middle man. You need a direct access internet account with an independent securities firm. This way you pay only service fees and often get perks like level 2 screens and free real time data.

You only need high levels of capital if you wanna use futures or other margin based trades. Most brokers only require a 3000 initial deposit. You can still build on this and make money even though it is not any real amount.
maximusmak
Rep:
?
(Original post by HamaL)
http://www.national-lottery.co.uk
something which doesnt involve betting or gambling would be nice.
maximusmak
Rep:
?
(Original post by amazingtrade)
Why not work in McDonalds? Anyway I thoght you already made a fortune selling PCs.
but like you siad its iondustry is declining to a point where there is no use of investin in em any more
maximusmak
Rep:
?
(Original post by G4ry)
He said he wants to get rich, not have a bit of pocket money. If it was easy to get rich everyone would be rich. You either have it or you don't - simple as that.
i disagree on that, i think if you have the ambition that you can be rich anythime, buy doin what is really what id like to hear
maximusmak
Rep:
?
(Original post by G4ry)
You need a lot of money to do that. It's not the right time either. Wait until we get into a recession and then start investing in it.
i like your pesimism about the economy
maximusmak
Rep:
?
(Original post by MuniE)
Futures contracts on the S&P 500, you get 250 dollars for each point per contract. Thats how you make lots, or lose lots, very quickly.

how do u do that - stock market?
maximusmak
Rep:
?
Not really it depends where you buy, there are still a lot of up and coming areas where you can buy houses for £5k because of all the regeneration they will be worth more than one day. A mate on my course bought a house last year in Salford for £30k its now worth £50k.

Its defenatly not the right time to buy a house in South Manchester though, where I live property is still going up £1000 a week and there is only one thing that can happen the prices will crash but in cheaper areas I think the prices will rise.
i was thinking of investing in property but which area sells the cheapest property?
maximusmak
Rep:
?
Yeah it probably is, I think Cheshire and Lemmington Spar (the official most expensive place outside London and the richest town apparantly in the UK) is very rich.

Where I live a 2 bed terrace can cost £200k if its a good one, a run down 3 bed semi was sold in auction for £350k, and 150 people viewed it, 17 people but in offers. It was madness.

This is not Cheshire either its proper Manchester although it is the second richest part of Manchester.

Its great for landlords but crap for people like me thats priced out of my own town. I still think the property market is a good way to make money though.

If not then setup a market stall.
and there i was thinking houses in bham were expensive, after all it is the 2nd largest sity in the uk
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by maximusmak)
opprox. how much do u need to start off, realistically
the more the better - dont invest until you know what data you need to look at tho..eg reading the share table (p/e yield volume...etc) i personally wouldnt put in large amount of money on shares - very risky, as i said before things such as ftse100/150 index trackers are much more safe in the long term
maximusmak
Rep:
?
(Original post by ickle_katy)
but its rediculas...i live in a 5 bedroom house...thats technically a "mantionette" with gorgeous views over the breacon becons...thats worth dramatically less than £100K

love Katy ***

were da hell u frm? wat area sells cheap houses like dat?
maximusmak
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kurdt Morello)
compare with a 3 bedroom house - 2 bathrooms one toilet - detached with garage - big garden - driveway etc. worth over £300k in Essex. Went to Wales for a couple of days and it was so cheap - one could buy a similar house for about £45k with far better views and countryside
u serious???????? that cheap?
maximusmak
Rep:
?
(Original post by Danithestudent)
Note: For those people who think I have no morals or ethics I have proof that I do. I didn't get with some guy that fancied me just because he was rich, I fell asleep and he ended up leaving some bottles of Cristal champagne at mine.

Proving that I have morals(and four bottles of £100 a bottle champagne!).
and??? your point is???
maximusmak
Rep:
?
My parents bought a three bedroom house with no garden but a double garage and carport off the bank in a little town called Arundel, West Sussex. For a little under £100k. It's on the market now for £550k

hahahahahahahhahaha

oh and yeah invest in the south east, buy it off the bank and fix it up
lucky you!!!
so is it the south east that have the cheapest houses
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
It depends if you include Greater Manchester as a city or not. There is a lot of debate of this and a lot offical sources state Manchester as the UK's second city. There was a survey done last year for the whole of the UK to vote which is the UK's second city, Manchester one, Birmingham was 3rd, Liverpool was 4th.

The cheapest area in the UK is probably the North East. Gainsbourgh is also very cheap but its unlikely the prices will rise much there as its not a nice area.
maximusmak
Rep:
?
12 years ago
lol, true, just if there was a time machine?
maximusmak
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
The problem is such people have no idea about the stock market and lose money. The people who make money on the stock market are mostly stockbrokers. They get first hand information, quicker than anybody else about how the market is going to go. By going on the net during work before companies get wind of this information and putting vast sums of their own money on a prediction is how stockbrokers become so damn rich. My friends dad gets 60k basic but his earnings will be in the millions probably.

so wats the trick about the stock market, how do u get the best out of it, and which 1 is the most successful now?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (115)
19.43%
Labour (300)
50.68%
Liberal Democrats (77)
13.01%
Green Party (30)
5.07%
Brexit Party (7)
1.18%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.51%
SNP (13)
2.2%
Plaid Cymru (3)
0.51%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
1.01%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (3)