Going to Uni - Last Shot at a Football Career?

Watch
blu95
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So im 18, and have firmed Bournemouth University so I am hoping to go there in September. I have always been involved in sports, having played Football from the age of five up to fifteen the peak of my Footballing ventures was training at Brentford's advanced training programme which is how they develop and groom players to introduce into their youth side's.

At around thirteen I started playing 11-a side, representing several clubs until the age of fifteen where I packed it in. Somewhat of an unfortunate circumstance, I could never adapt to 11-a side play despite all my developed skills, I remember in training I would look like the best player in the squad at every club I played for, with the ability to score countless goals. All my attributes were even studied at the David Backham academy trials, in which I was forwarded to the academy but it cost a ridiculous price (I had given up by then) they assessed speed, vision, finishing, dribbling and others I cant remember, every box was marked "good" or "excellent" which were the top two marks available. However on 11-a side match days I would get nervous because I knew I was inexperienced, I could not keep up with the fast pace, I could not handle being overwhelmed in seconds when first touching the ball, and I was VERY small. I was simply ineffective, only scoring 3 goals in a season and a half as an attacker.

I have been Boxing since 2012, and I have a natural skill in which my coach thinks I will go far if I stick to it. I will continue at Uni, but I feel like I have some unfinished business with Football, I hate thinking about what could have happened, if only my ability could translate into 11-a side I am certain I would be playing atleast semi-pro right now as some past friends who were not quite on par with my ability have played for the likes of Chelsea and Leyton Orient. Im now fitter, stronger and bigger through natural growth and Boxing, and I have played with some classmates at college and im definitely considered the best player by a mile, bar one semi-pro player (who I beat in a one on one lol) I still have a lot of my skills but I am rusty, I just want to know whether I could possibly further a footballing career at Uni?

Obviously the Uni has a football squad, and I think they have some connection with Bournemouth FC, it would be a dream come true if I somehow got into the academy. When you go 15 years wanting to be a footballer and you have very rare ability, but you failed to adapt to 11-a side and packed it in, wasting your great potential, it hurts. Can Uni give me another shot? or is it purely for social fun?
FKLW
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Join your Uni football team for a start. Try not to get nervous and think of it as fun, it will relax you and you'll play better... This way you'll shine through and scouts will no doubt pick you up on this. Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
lucas13
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
you could always try, you seem to have ability but not to cope with the physical aspect of the game, just play and try to enjoy it
blu95
Rep:
?
(Original post by FKLW)
Join your Uni football team for a start. Try not to get nervous and think of it as fun, it will relax you and you'll play better... This way you'll shine through and scouts will no doubt pick you up on this. Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks pal, I used to get nervous and play awful when it really mattered for my career lol again thanks for the advice.
0zzy94
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Dont listen to what coaches say, they just want to keep you happy and keep getting paid - they'll tell you anything.

I dont know dude, dont wanna sound offensive but if you were really that good it'd show up in bigger matches. It could be you're just that guy who's bloody good but just not good enough for a career in it.

Dont let romantic goals cloud rational career aspirations.

Having said that, only you know how good you are - you could be the next David Beckham - and if you genuinely think you are, then go for it.
SloaneRanger
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Your still young, university can serious wait, people go at any age. If your as good as you say you are and your resume seems impressive. Why don't you try too look at semi pro clubs with open trials especially seeing it is the off season now. There are many clubs that do it.
balotelli12
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Let's get this right.

You are around 18 but have never been signed by a pro team at any level?

Maybe you are not quite as good as you think you are!
D_98
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by balotelli12)
Let's get this right.

Not always the case and I think everyone knows how slim the chances are. I've been let go by 3 clubs since the age of 11 and a few just haven't taken me on. Everton looked at my size back then and that was that.

Sometimes there are other factors and sometimes people have other interests and the like. I'm playing for Southport Under 17's now and it suits me down to the ground really. Not a bad standard and allows me to go out on a Saturday every now and again.

Ability is only one of many factors though. The standard at that level is ridiculously high and if you're missing one attribute you're up against it.
Lasershark
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You are never, ever going to be a professional footballer. You can't pin your hopes on it at all. Go to uni and get a job like the rest of us in touch with reality.
blu95
Rep:
?
(Original post by balotelli12)
Let's get this right.

If you had read my post, you would have seen I have been inactive since 15, I missed the key age bracket in which prospects are signed up.
LFC_RV
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Tbh, I'd join the uni team, for fun, show off a bit and build it back up from there!
You've got nothing to lose, and if they have connections to football clubs you may get lucky!

Posted from TSR Mobile
blu95
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lasershark)
You are never, ever going to be a professional footballer. You can't pin your hopes on it at all. Go to uni and get a job like the rest of us in touch with reality.
And how do you know that? what is it based on? the fact that you have no talent or abilities which could propel you into a division of wealth and job satisfaction? the fact you have failed at reaching your goals? im not pinning my hopes on it, or putting it before my top priorities, im simply looking to get back into it and give in another shot.

I said in my opening line im going to University, oh and this might also annoy you but I have every opportunity to turn professional as a boxer in the future, I bet you would have told me I couldn't do that wouldn't you? Idiot. I hope you're content with an average and mundane lifestyle...
myaccount
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Lasershark)
Don't listen to this guy. If you have the opportunity to chase this dream and go to uni the you've really got nothing to lose. It's better to try than to just not bother at all, man. Theres websites that list trials across the country for all levels, so, regardless of whether you're ultimately successful or not, I'm sure you'll get your chance.

All the best, man.
blu95
Rep:
?
(Original post by myaccount)
Don't listen to this guy. If you have the opportunity to chase this dream and go to uni the you've really got nothing to lose. It's better to try than to just not bother at all, man. Theres websites that list trials across the country for all levels, so, regardless of whether you're ultimately successful or not, I'm sure you'll get your chance.

All the best, man.
Thanks a lot mate, I appreciate it! Thanks for the support...
Ritter
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You wouldn't believe the amount of people I've come across who have told me exactly what the OP has posted. Comes under the massive umbrella of 'could have made it, but didn't'. The majority of aspiring footballers end up like you, mate. Just give it up.
blu95
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ritter)
You wouldn't believe the amount of people I've come across who have told me exactly what the OP has posted. Comes under the massive umbrella of 'could have made it, but didn't'. The majority of aspiring footballers end up like you, mate. Just give it up.
Its not just you, everybody has come across a few people like that. Do you not think it is a tad ignorant to place everybody under that umbrella in the same boat? the vast majority were average at best, or played Sunday league for ten years, or scored a last minute overhead kick at a Goals tournament on a Saturday night. In fact, me and some friends were recently laughing at our mate who said he got scouted for Tottenham as a youngster, even though he is fairly ****e. Point being, most the people you speak of and have categorized me as being, were never that good, this is the UK, and most people want to be seen as good at football.

In my case, I genuinely have talent which has not gone unnoticed, bar anywhere important apart from when I was a lot younger and training for Brentford, you're right most aspiring footballers do end up like me, and they call it a day. Difference is im not giving up and im getting back into it, I wanted peoples help based on my individual and somewhat unique story, not to be generalized as one of a few millions "could have been's" I think if you read my OP, you will see im not just your average player, I would accept that harsh reality if it was true, im not delusional.
BlackLipBastard
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Girls commenting on this ^.^
ridwan12
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by blu95)
Its not just you, everybody has come across a few people like that. Do you not think it is a tad ignorant to place everybody under that umbrella in the same boat? the vast majority were average at best, or played Sunday league for ten years, or scored a last minute overhead kick at a Goals tournament on a Saturday night. In fact, me and some friends were recently laughing at our mate who said he got scouted for Tottenham as a youngster, even though he is fairly ****e. Point being, most the people you speak of and have categorized me as being, were never that good, this is the UK, and most people want to be seen as good at football.

In my case, I genuinely have talent which has not gone unnoticed, bar anywhere important apart from when I was a lot younger and training for Brentford, you're right most aspiring footballers do end up like me, and they call it a day. Difference is im not giving up and im getting back into it, I wanted peoples help based on my individual and somewhat unique story, not to be generalized as one of a few millions "could have been's" I think if you read my OP, you will see im not just your average player, I would accept that harsh reality if it was true, im not delusional.
I think you have to be realistic about everything and know your limits i.e. ulikely you'll play in premier league due to your age. First step should be to join Uni football team and see where it goes from there, if it's not cutting it continue with boxing as you can't waste one talent because your chasing another dream. There are scouts at uni level too so if your good you will catch their eyes. Your situation is similar to mine in long distance running, gave up but looking to get back into it over summer and at uni and see where it goes.
Ritter
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by blu95)

Have you ever even played as a pro-youth (or whatever they'll called in England) with a club, or have you just trained with Brentford? The people I'm referring to have actually played at youth level with professional sides. My brother played for St. Mirren for 2 years as a teenager. He started some games but came off the bench in most, looked like he had potential bud never made it. My mates brother played for Livingston, who had the 3rd best youth team in Scotland in the time. Scored 9 goals in a season, they eventually let him go - he never made it. Another boy I know played for Dundee United, similar to my brother, looked like he had potential - never made it. Final one was a boy I went to school with, miles better than everyone else, single-handedly won us the cup final, was the best at athletics and everything. Hearts let him go because he wasn't physically strong enough - never made it, and he was very very good. A lot of people go unnoticed, but many many more simply aren't good enough. Go for it if you want mate, but it's highly unlikely you'll get anywhere near the top 8/9 divisions in English football.
TheBritishArmy
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you get into the uni team and look miles better than everyone else, there is a possibility you could get scouted.

But if you don't stand out at uni level, you will never make it professionally or even semi-professionally. Uni teams are on a par with the 10th/11th tier of English football at best.

May also be worth contacting local Wessex League teams (9th/10th tier of the English pyramid), you are more likely to get scouted playing there than in uni league football, which mostly operates in its own bubble.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (29)
18.35%
I'm not sure (3)
1.9%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (53)
33.54%
I have already dropped out (3)
1.9%
I'm not a current university student (70)
44.3%

Watched Threads