Is culture shock definitely real?

Watch
honeyandlemon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
You know how depression is real and isn't the same as just feeling sad. Is culture shock real too and not just a term/expression?
i am genius
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
When I went to Australia, the locals dragged me into a building and shocked my toes.
honeyandlemon
Rep:
?
well?
Sazzy890
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes it is... imagine moving to a completely foreign country where you don't speak the same language, everyone dresses completely different to you, the customs are completely different, the food is completely different, you're used to a country where you can be outspoken but there you can't say what you think, the country is much poorer than in the western world so there is rubbish everywhere, beggars on every corner etc, it is extremely busy so you almost get run over everywhere you go etc. This is just an example, but I think most English people would have a major culture shock.
Maid Marian
Badges: 20
Report 6 years ago
Yes, definitely. In different cultures, things are different to what you're used to so for a lot of people it's quite a shock to the system :dontknow:
GnomeMage
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by i am genius)
When I went to Australia, the locals dragged me into a building and shocked my toes.
oh those aborigines.
Stinkum
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well...depression isn't real. It's a voluntary, fully controllable feeling of sadness which can be turned on or off at will.

Culture shock isn't real either. It's not the culture which causes shock, it's the depravity and lewdness of humanity, something which isn't restricted to any particular culture.
honeyandlemon
Rep:
?
OK. So I've just looked back on my year abroad and realised I had serious culture shock. And that was why I was acting so weird.
bertstare
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Stinkum)
Well...depression isn't real. It's a voluntary, fully controllable feeling of sadness which can be turned on or off at will.
in for the ****storm
PsychadelicScarf
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Stinkum)

Culture shock isn't real either. It's not the culture which causes shock, it's the depravity and lewdness of humanity, something which isn't restricted to any particular culture.
That's absolute bs. Depression is an illness; you think depressed people choose to feel like that? That's like saying any mental illness is by choice, and can be turned off...

And culture shock is being shocked by the different cultures in different countries.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (706)
33.93%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (889)
42.72%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.89%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.47%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed