Turn on thread page Beta

Do I have to respect your beliefs? watch

ReputationRep:
    I am sick of being told by people that I have to respect their opinions or the opinions of others, no matter what those opinions may be. I think we should draw a distinction between respecting someones right to an opinion, and respecting the opinion itself.

I believe that everybody has the right to believe whatever they want, whether this be politically, religiously, socially etc, no matter what those opinions may be. However, just because I respect your right to believe something, I don't respect the vast majority of said beliefs.

For example, I have absolutely no respect for the New Earth Creationist view of the universe; it is demonstrably incorrect and I feel that exposing children or impressionable people to it undermines the whole point of educating them. In fact, I don't have any respect for any claims which are provably wrong, and I have varying degrees of respect for things which are as yet inconclusive, generally depending on the strength of any proof available.

I have no respect for ideas such as homophobia, racism, and sexism, but I respect people's right to hold such beliefs. I think people are also free to express these opinions, but they need to realise that people are free to disagree and are welcome to criticize and question them, and more over they aren't forced to actually respect anything you think.

What do you guys think? Do you respect all beliefs, or just the right of people to hold them?

ReputationRep:
    I don't respect many people's beliefs, but I hold my tongue.

People need to work out things for themselves. And if we value a society of freedom of expression, religion and speech, then that is the consequence of it.

ReputationRep:
    I generally try not to **** on other people's beliefs, but I'm allowed to think that they're idiots.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_lost_boy)
    I generally try not to sh*t on other people's beliefs, but I'm allowed to think that they're idiots.
    Religions.

Couldn't refrain.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by the_lost_boy)
    I generally try not to sh*t on other people's beliefs, but I'm allowed to think that they're idiots.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arcturus7)
    I am sick of being told by people that I have to respect their opinions or the opinions of others, no matter what those opinions may be. I think we should draw a distinction between respecting someones right to an opinion, and respecting the opinion itself.

I believe that everybody has the right to believe whatever they want, whether this be politically, religiously, socially etc, no matter what those opinions may be. However, just because I respect your right to believe something, I don't respect the vast majority of said beliefs.

For example, I have absolutely no respect for the New Earth Creationist view of the universe; it is demonstrably incorrect and I feel that exposing children or impressionable people to it undermines the whole point of educating them. In fact, I don't have any respect for any claims which are provably wrong, and I have varying degrees of respect for things which are as yet inconclusive, generally depending on the strength of any proof available.

I have no respect for ideas such as homophobia, racism, and sexism, but I respect people's right to hold such beliefs. I think people are also free to express these opinions, but they need to realise that people are free to disagree and are welcome to criticize and question them, and more over they aren't forced to actually respect anything you think.

What do you guys think? Do you respect all beliefs, or just the right of people to hold them?
    Yes you should always respect peoples beliefs full stop

ReputationRep:

Tbh i have not read yor long post but in my opinion you should respect peoples beliefs evn if they are wrong full stop

ReputationRep:
    What I believe is 'live and let live'. Does not matter if you agree with their beliefs or not but they have as much as right as you to have any such set of beliefs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by German123)
    Tbh i have not read yor long post but in my opinion you should respect peoples beliefs evn if they are wrong full stop
    Do you respect Hitler's view that all jews should be killed?

ReputationRep:
    Respecting someone's beliefs and accepting or agreeing with them are completely different things.

ReputationRep:
    No. People who hold ignorant or repugnant views should be politely ridiculed at every available opportunity. This particularly applies to religious people.

ReputationRep:
    You should respect peoples beliefs, even if you dont agree with them

ReputationRep:
    Defiently don't have to respect all people's belief. However, as long as their view is not harming anyone in any way, I don't say anything.

ReputationRep:
    Do you respect Hitlers beliefs?

ReputationRep:
    People don't have to agree on everything. But you must be civil. Or just keep quiet and avoid discussing anything which might lead to an argument or disagreement.

ReputationRep:
    Yes you should always respect peoples beliefs full stop

So do you respect the idea that homosexuals should be stoned and are all going to hell? Or the idea that evolution is a myth, alongside climate change and myriad other theories?

Actually read the post before you comment please, it doesn't help the discussion.

(Original post by Rosie786)
    What I believe is 'live and let live'. Does not matter if you agree with their beliefs or not but they have as much as right as you to have any such set of beliefs.

I agree to a degree, but what about if their views or opinions are damaging or even bordering on hate speech? They deserve to be challenged so that the world can be better for others.

(Original post by Stinkum)
    People don't have to agree on everything. But you must be civil. Or just keep quiet and avoid discussing anything which might lead to an argument or disagreement.

So we shouldn't debate ideas for risk of offending people? If I have the right to hold my opinions and the right of free speech, surely these entail the right to express them and potentially the right to offend people?

ReputationRep:

So we shouldn't debate ideas for risk of offending people? If I have the right to hold my opinions and the right of free speech, surely these entail the right to express them and potentially the right to offend people?[/FONT][/COLOR]
    The thing about debating is that people are just going to get more entrenched in the views they had in the first place. Some ideas (like religion and politics) are just not worth discussing at all. Not because you might offend someone, but because it's a completely futile debate and a waste of time, you won't get anywhere with it.

Everyone has the right to their opinion, it's a free society. But even when you know someone is completely wrong, there's no point in raising a discussion. You just have to look the other way, live your life the way you want and be proud of your views.

ReputationRep:
    I respect peoples beliefs that aren't causing direct harm to anyone.

ReputationRep:
    As far as I'm concerned a duty to 'respect' people's beliefs only means a duty not to try and stop them holding those beliefs. Doesn't mean you have to agree with them in the slightest, and it certainly doesn't mean you have to sit idly by while they go and inflict the negative consequences of those beliefs on other people.

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to agree with other people's beliefs, but you should always respect them!! As idiotic as they may seem, always respect people! :angel:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.