question from an American: university offered a different course than requested Watch

TamaraC
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Question from an international student (United States); received an unconditional offer from the University of York for a BSc in Accounting, Finance, and Management, and a conditional offer from the University of Newcastle for a BSc in Economics.

Would slightly prefer to attend York in general, but would strongly prefer to study Economics over Accounting (applied for Economics course for both, but York offered the different course instead). Is it common for universities in the UK to offer a different course than requested, and can an accepted applicant request a change? Do UK Universities become more flexible about course change requests throughout the summer? In the US it is easy for accepted applicants to change courses (majors) before the term begins as long as they are not too popular (impacted).

Thanks for any info you may have; looking forward to studying in the UK.
.snowflake.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by TamaraC)
Question from an international student (United States); received an unconditional offer from the University of York for a BSc in Accounting, Finance, and Management, and a conditional offer from the University of Newcastle for a BSc in Economics.

Would slightly prefer to attend York in general, but would strongly prefer to study Economics over Accounting (applied for Economics course for both, but York offered the different course instead). Is it common for universities in the UK to offer a different course than requested, and can an accepted applicant request a change? Do UK Universities become more flexible about course change requests throughout the summer? In the US it is easy for accepted applicants to change courses (majors) before the term begins as long as they are not too popular (impacted).

Email admissions for accounting at York to ask why you've been offered Accounting, and not economics that you originally applied for.
llamaspoon
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

If you applied for Economics and they changed your offer to Accounting, I highly doubt they would change it back to Economics. However, I would email the admissions department to see if they can help you out.
Georgie_M
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

You definitely need to contact York university, offering you that course may have been a mistake however it isn't unheard of for unis to offer a place on a course different to the one you applied to. This is usually for one of two reasons;

A) you didn't quite meet the standard for the original course but the uni still liked you and so offered you a place on a less competitive course (in which case it would be unlikely you can switch course).

B) they felt your application was more suited to another course (if there are places you may be able to switch).

My university allowed you to change course for the first couple of weeks but this was subject to meeting the requirements and places on the course. I would imagine most but not all universities have a similar policy. York however is a very popular university and of it wasn't a mistake then I expect your chances are limited because it suggests the course is full.

Definitely worth emailing them though to get an idea of where you stand.
TamaraC
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Thank you all for your advice!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?