The Student Room Group

Igcse english past paper help please..

Hi, I have my real IGCSE exam on the coming Thursday, and I am trying to revise as much as I can. so I was going through a past paper (June 2013 paper) and I am stuck with the 2nd question.

question:
read the description of:
a) the intense cold in paragraph 3 beginning 'he had set off'........
b) the lighting of the fire in paragraph 5 beginning 'it is possible....'
select words or phrase from these descriptions and explain how the writer has created effects by using language. (10 marks)

paragraph 3:

He had set off at seven a.m., and by eleven had covered half the distance. Seated on a fallen tree, he unmittened his right hand, reached inside his coat and fished out a biscuit. He had barely chewed the first mouthful when his numbing fingers warned him to put his mitten on again. This he did, surprised at the bitter swiftness with which the frost had bitten. He could feel himself beginning to chill, so he leaped to his feet and ran briskly up the trail. This made him warm again, but the moisture he exhaled crusted his lips with ice crystals and formed a miniature glacier on his chin. Now and again sensation abandoned his face, and he rubbed it till it burned with the returning blood.

paragraph 5:

It is impossible to build a fire wearing heavy Alaskan mittens, so Tom bared his hands, gathered a number of twigs, and knelt down to kindle his nest of fire. From a pocket he drew out his matches and a strip of thin birch bark. He separated one match from the bunch and scratched it on his trousers. The bark burst into bright flame, which he carefully fed with the smallest twigs, cherishing it with the utmost care, gently nurturing it. His feet had started to grow numb, but the fire, although a very young one, was now alive.

to be honest I don't know how to answer this question... I am so much stressed and worried about the exam. I was trying to answer this question but I couldn't.. :frown:

could someone please help me with this? and how to answer this too
thank you sooooo much.....
megan :smile:
Reply 1
https://sites.google.com/a/grange.cl/igcse-english/language-paper-tips

This website explains how to answer each question very well!
You have to pick up words/phrases that are unusual and explain how they are effective to make the points stand out. Well - if you don't know which words to pick up, find techniques such as personification, simile, onomatopoeia, metaphor etc
Reply 2
Original post by C0balt
https://sites.google.com/a/grange.cl/igcse-english/language-paper-tips

This website explains how to answer each question very well!
You have to pick up words/phrases that are unusual and explain how they are effective to make the points stand out. Well - if you don't know which words to pick up, find techniques such as personification, simile, onomatopoeia, metaphor etc

thank you very much............................................. :biggrin:..

Quick Reply

Latest