The Student Room Group

Should I chose Nottingham, Reading or Kingston for pharmacy?

This is for pharmacy. So I already chose my first choice Uni, but seeing as I got 4 offers and I'm and extremely indecisive person, please help! So I have:

Nottingham Uni: It looked quite good, but when I went to open day I just didn't like it so much, it was a rainy day and it all looked grey, there just wasn't anything special about it all. But like I said, the quality of the labs was amazing and you can go abroad for a semester!

Kingston Uni in London: Well I love that it's in London, and the course seems really well structured PLUS you get to go abroad for a year, which is perfect for me as I'm used to living in different countries all my life. But it's an ex-poly, which I have no problem with, but I'm worried it will be tougher to get a job since pharmacy is already very competitive. For some reason it is ranked low, and again I don't want to chose based on tables but I'm worried.

Reading University: Beautiful campus, close to London, and great support from teachers. I liked it there a lot but I just don't know. There wasn't anything special about it besides the campus for me. The teachers seemed great though, like they cared about the students rather than doing research.

Sooo.. If you have any advice, or if you went to any of them and have an opinion, just please help I'm desperate!
I may be bias but I'd say Nottingham is the uni with the best rep by far, I've not even heard of Kingston (unless that's what Kings college is short for?). But if it's for an insurance choice then I don't see the point in putting nottingham seeing as they want AAB and are ridiculously competitive
Reply 2
Original post by demetria
I may be bias but I'd say Nottingham is the uni with the best rep by far, I've not even heard of Kingston (unless that's what Kings college is short for?). But if it's for an insurance choice then I don't see the point in putting nottingham seeing as they want AAB and are ridiculously competitive

wow thank you :smile: king's is actually my first choice, but kingston a different uni... i went online and I found that almost 50% students didn't like the course, so I think I might put Nottingham there.. did you like it at the open day?
Original post by buzzybee143
wow thank you :smile: king's is actually my first choice, but kingston a different uni... i went online and I found that almost 50% students didn't like the course, so I think I might put Nottingham there.. did you like it at the open day?

Wow that's not good advert for the course! And yeah I love everything about Nottingham, but unless King's want higher than AAB I don't know if it's a wise insurance choice :/ The people who firmed it would be lucky enough to get in if they miss their grade, let alone people who've only put notts as their insurance choice
Reply 4
Wow that's not good advert for the course! And yeah I love everything about Nottingham, but unless King's want higher than AAB I don't know if it's a wise insurance choice :/ The people who firmed it would be lucky enough to get in if they miss their grade, let alone people who've only put notts as their insurance choice

King's was AAB but then they told me I need an A in chemistry, which sucks. But I loved all of the unis I went to.. I didn't know Nottingham was that competitive!
King's was AAB but then they told me I need an A in chemistry, which sucks. But I loved all of the unis I went to.. I didn't know Nottingham was that competitive!

Notts said at all their open days and interviews that they want an A in chem but not everyone has 'A in chemistry' on their actual ucas offer, but yeah they are really competitive

If you go on which uni, for kings the most common subjects and grades were A in Maths, B in Chem and B in Biology (but that doesn't mean they let everyone in with ABB because it's like talking about the subjects separately). For Notts it's A in Maths, A in Chem, A in Biology
Reply 6
Notts said at all their open days and interviews that they want an A in chem but not everyone has 'A in chemistry' on their actual ucas offer, but yeah they are really competitive

If you go on which uni, for kings the most common subjects and grades were A in Maths, B in Chem and B in Biology (but that doesn't mean they let everyone in with ABB because it's like talking about the subjects separately). For Notts it's A in Maths, A in Chem, A in Biology

Wait so nottingham wants A in chemistry, even if it wasn't on UCAS?
Also do you think it would be stupid to throw away Nottingham?
Wait so nottingham wants A in chemistry, even if it wasn't on UCAS?
Also do you think it would be stupid to throw away Nottingham?

Well they did say it at the open days but if they haven't put it on people's UCAS offer then they can't just be like 'sorry we want something that wasn't in your offer'. If you preferred kings over Nottingham then absolutely not, but I do think it's a waste of an insurance choice. Not everyone who firms Nottingham and ends up with missing their offer will get in, so I really can't see them accepting anyone who's only put notts as their insurance and have missed their offer requirement getting a place. It's much safer to pick one that either wants lower grades, or is a lot more lentient/less competitive :smile:
Reply 8
Well they did say it at the open days but if they haven't put it on people's UCAS offer then they can't just be like 'sorry we want something that wasn't in your offer'. If you preferred kings over Nottingham then absolutely not, but I do think it's a waste of an insurance choice. Not everyone who firms Nottingham and ends up with missing their offer will get in, so I really can't see them accepting anyone who's only put notts as their insurance and have missed their offer requirement getting a place. It's much safer to pick one that either wants lower grades, or is a lot more lentient/less competitive :smile:

HEY sorry for replying so late! But in the end I chose Reading as my backup in case I don't get the grades! It makes me sad though that I won't go to Nottingham and meet you, you're so nice :smile: Thanks for all your help
HEY sorry for replying so late! But in the end I chose Reading as my backup in case I don't get the grades! It makes me sad though that I won't go to Nottingham and meet you, you're so nice :smile: Thanks for all your help

Aww thankyou, and no problem I hope you end up where you want to be! :smile: Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending