English Literature LitB1 exam Watch

JayDu
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Does anybody have advice on section B (42 mark question) for this exam? I'm struggling how to structure my answer, the texts I'll be doing for this are Gatsby, The Road and Keats poetry (Lamia, St Agnes and La Belle). Any advice would be helpful!
sawenexo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm also struggling with this 42 marks question, I'm doing kite runner, pride and prejudice and keats poetry... I don't know how to structure and what to include/talk about? Like do we have to analyse the language / theme or motives? or what?
swiftblaze
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I am also struggling- I don't understand what you are supposed to do and I am doing kite runner, Great Gatsby, Rosetti and Tennyson what AO's are assesed? How many poems for each poet do you cover for section B?
JayDu
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
If I understand right its similar to the the second question in Section A, but since the questions have always been varied its hard to practise for
Lilyghz
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Everyone seems so unprepared for this paper, as am I! I'm doing Kite Runner, Tennyson and Browning.

I'll share with you what I know anyway and I hope you find this somewhat useful.. Let's say the question is asking the significance of how the 3 writers you've studied have used setting.. It's basically asking how setting is used to add meaning to the narratives..

Don't approach the question by comparing how each writer uses the narrative device but instead write 3 mini essays of how they did it. You don't have to write equal amounts for each writer but that doesn't mean you should write 3 paragraphs for 2 of the texts and 1 for the 3rd..

For example in chapter 1 of the kite runner Hosseini opens the narrative in 1975 Afghanistan and then shortly shifts to 2001 San Francisco. Setting is used here to highlight the distinct difference in Amir's life and it reinforces the idea that because he is looking back on a particular moment that happened in 1975 Afghanistan, it was the pivot moment of Amir's life that changed everything.

It's something like that.. I haven't mastered it but I've gotten pretty okay grades so far.. I suggest you pick out key events from each of your texts and keep them in mind.. Look at past papers and see if you can kind of do the same thing.. My teacher has predicted for the significance of contrasts, antagonists, beginnings or openings to come up but it could possibly be different things..

I was given an exemplar essay done by a past candidate but it was based on different texts.. If you want I can try scan that and post it here ASAP if you want a clearer idea of how to approach the question? Hope this helps and good luck!!
curiousroses
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
yeah could u scan them please?
Lilyghz
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by curiousroses)
yeah could u scan them please?
Yes absolutely hope they help
Attached files
Jo890
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm posting to subscribe to the thread

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ab1410
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi do you know what grade that exemplar got?
LazyBazooka
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'll be doing The Rime of the Ancient Mariner, The Road, and Keats' poems (La Belle Dame Sans Merci, Lamia, Eve of St. Agnes).

Usually all of the Section B questions are concerned with writing about the 'significance' of a certain narrative aspect, which could be anything ranging from narrators, protagonists, structure, climaxes, time, settings, names, conflict, endings, speech, descriptions etc.

And by 'significance', its usually referring to the 'importance' of the chosen narrative element. For instance, it could asking you about how important conflict is for the narrative and would prompt you to address the following:

-What affect does it have on the reader?
-How does it affect the story and its characters?
-Why does the author/poet include it?
-How is it told in relation to the narrative's genre?
sawenexo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thanks for the tips everyone!
Lilyghz
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Ab1410)
Hi do you know what grade that exemplar got?
I can't remember exactly as I received it quite a while ago but it should be at least a high B if not an A xx
Ab1410
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Lilyghz)
I can't remember exactly as I received it quite a while ago but it should be at least a high B if not an A xx
Okay thanks
Jo890
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Guys, you know ao2 what does it mean by form, structure and language?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lilyghz
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Jo890)
Guys, you know ao2 what does it mean by form, structure and language?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is this section a or b?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lilyghz
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Anyway guys i wanted to post something on this thread earlier but I lost it and now since I've found it again..

My teacher is marking this paper for a different centre to mine this year! She has just had her examiner training and sent my whole class this document of what she got out of it, particularly tips and advice on what we should do in the exam and what is expected of us in our responses. I'm sorry but I'm not entirely comfortable about posting the whole thing here but if you do want to see what the examiners have said please ask me through PM and I will share it with you xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jo890
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Lilyghz)
Is this section a or b?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Section a odd

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (284)
15.2%
The paper was reasonable (1037)
55.51%
Not feeling great about that exam... (404)
21.63%
It was TERRIBLE (143)
7.66%

Watched Threads