AS Philo+Ethics Essays Watch

quirksy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Yo, currently in year 12, studying AS philosophy + ethics (OCR)

I know people aren't really sure how to structure essays for the exam, so thought I'd make a kind of essay bank of all my marked essays (done in timed conditions), all full marks so far, so feel free to take a look, and hopefully they'll help in some way.

Only just getting started, but I should have a fair few essays up there soon, from both philosophy and ethics. I'd be happy to take any requests for essays, it's all good practice!

The blog is: www.rsisbest.blogspot.co.uk

Good luck for the exam, 9 days to go aaaah
hoakley
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey, glad to see a fellow OCR-er, seems like everyone is AQA round here! I've been looking at all the old philos past papers and noticed a trend in terms of the questions so I think this year it's going to be on Aristotle, Goodness of God and some criticism of religion (but not Theodicy or Behe's irreducible complexity) as they haven't come up in ages (Aristotle was last in Jun 2011, 4 papers ago!) So maybe some essays on those topics would be useful as your essays are really informative in both content and technique
quirksy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by hoakley)
Hey, glad to see a fellow OCR-er, seems like everyone is AQA round here! I've been looking at all the old philos past papers and noticed a trend in terms of the questions so I think this year it's going to be on Aristotle, Goodness of God and some criticism of religion (but not Theodicy or Behe's irreducible complexity) as they haven't come up in ages (Aristotle was last in Jun 2011, 4 papers ago!) So maybe some essays on those topics would be useful as your essays are really informative in both content and technique
Ah yes that's a good idea! I've just handed in an essay on Aristotle, so am awaiting a mark, but I'll post that up as soon as possible. Glad the essays are helpful!
Nayxxx
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Alright so basically there's a man called Peter Baron who writes revision books for philosophy and ethics and every year he does predictions (he's an examiner too and philosophy teacher too) . My teacher gave us a resource which told us predictions for this year and he is pretty accurate but obviously don't just stick to these but you can just use them as a guidance !

Ethics.
OCR
By Peter Baron

AS Ethics
Question 1
a. Explain what is meant by "moral relativism".

b. "Relativism is the best approach to issues surrounding genetic engineering". Discuss.

Question 2
a. Explain the main principles of Natural Law approach to ethics.

b. "Natural law is the best approach to issues surrounding the right to a child (or issues surrounding abortion)". Discuss.

Question 3
a. Explain how the concepts of sanctity of life and quality of life apply to issues surrounding abortion.

b. "Only utilitarian ethics satisfactorily accounts for quality of life issues". Discuss.

Question 4
a. Explain how a Religion of your choice approaches issues surrounding going to War.

b. "A Just War is impossible". Discuss.

Question 5
a. Explain what is meant by "deontological ethics".

b. "Deontological ethics is inflexible". Discuss.

Question 6
a. Explain the main differences between a teleological and deontological approach to ethics.

b. "Teleological ethics is of more practical use than deontological ethics" Discuss.

Philosophy
OCR
By Peter Baron

AS Philosophy of Religion
Question 1
a. Explain Aquinas' first, second and third ways to proving God's existence.

b. To what extent are Hume's challenges to causation successful in critiquing the cosmological argument?

Question 2
a. Explain what Aristotle meant by the Final Cause.

b. "Aristotle's theory of knowledge is more believable than Plato's." Discuss.

Question 3
a. Explain why some scientists do not believe that God created the universe.

b. Evaluate the claim that the Bible tells us nothing about the creation of the universe.

Question 4
a. Explain what it means to call God creator 'Ex Nihilo'.

b. "God is more designer than creator." Discuss.

Hope it helps guys and good luck xx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Undergraduate Virtual Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Ravensbourne University London
    School of Design, School of Media Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Leeds Trinity University
    PGCE Open Day Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19

Is the plastic tax enough to protect the environment?

Yes (13)
5.58%
No (220)
94.42%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise