The Student Room Group

If I make a Firm choice, can I change my mind abut going?

Basically I'm not sure whether I'm actually going to uni this year, even if I get the grades as I think I may take a gap year and reapply for a different subject next year. I'm not 100% yet though. If I make an offer my firm, am I still able to not go, even if I achieve the grades, and then just apply again to uni for 2015 entry? Thanks for your help!
Reply 1
Of course, you can! :yes: Even if on their website UCAS says that once you've made an offer your firm choice you are committed to going there and blah blah, no one is going to force you to attend this university if you no longer want to. You will just have to call your firm choice to let them know, though. :smile:
Yep, I have a firm but am not planning to go this year (unless I screw up exams).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Be careful about signing any accommodation contracts. They can say you'll pay for the whole year - so if you don't go you'll be wasting loads of money.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, you can decline your firmed place for any reason.

However, if you are happy with your choice, but just want to take a gap year, you may still be able to arrange deffered entry with the university. This means you would hold a place on your course to start in September 2015. This may not be possible at all universities, but it may be worth talking to admissions if this is something you would be interested in.

If at all possible, you should decline your place BEFORE results day in August, as this means the university can offer someone else your place for this year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending