The Student Room Group

New Driver Insurance for Modified Car.

Hello, I have just recently passed my test and am trying to buy insurance for my car which is a:

Ford Fiesta Zetec 2013
With a factory fitted body kit and rear tinted windows.
Like this one

I am:

Now for insurance these count as modifications even though they're factory fitted and came on the car and as you can see on the picture of a fiesta with a body kit you can hardly even see it, just a slightly longer spoiler.

Unfortunately on comparison websites the cheapest quote I could find was over £5000 yearly. I am not a "Boy Racer" as these websites seem to think but a very sensible driver.

Is there anyone who has been in a similar situation or knows of any better insurance companies to try. On the comparison websites even tinted windows on its own increases the premium massively.

Thanks, MrVisneski
Insurance is very expensive for people our age anyway.

My parents quote for a 2007 Renault Scenic is £500

add me on as a third driver and the cheapest premium is £5500.

I'm getting a motorbike as the insurance is only a grand a year, maybe you want to consider the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Mubariz
Insurance is very expensive for people our age anyway.

My parents quote for a 2007 Renault Scenic is £500

add me on as a third driver and the cheapest premium is £5500.

I'm getting a motorbike as the insurance is only a grand a year, maybe you want to consider the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't really think a motorbike would work for me, but thats good it works for you saves you a lot of money.
Original post by MrVisneski
Hello, I have just recently passed my test and am trying to buy insurance for my car which is a:

Ford Fiesta Zetec 2013
With a factory fitted body kit and rear tinted windows.
Like this one

I am:

Now for insurance these count as modifications even though they're factory fitted and came on the car and as you can see on the picture of a fiesta with a body kit you can hardly even see it, just a slightly longer spoiler.

Unfortunately on comparison websites the cheapest quote I could find was over £5000 yearly. I am not a "Boy Racer" as these websites seem to think but a very sensible driver.

Is there anyone who has been in a similar situation or knows of any better insurance companies to try. On the comparison websites even tinted windows on its own increases the premium massively.

Thanks, MrVisneski

Unfortunately for your 1st year driving, especially at 17 you tend to have to buy for cheap insurance rather than buy what you want and find cheap insurance.
£5000 for a Fiesta ST seems cheap for a 17 year old male if I'm honest. Is that with you as a named driver? As if you were the main driver that would be fronting, which is illegal.

My first insurance policy was on a VW Polo 1.4 X plate, that was still a touch under £2000 even when I left it till I turned 20 to actually purchase a car. It's just one of those things you have to take a hit on for the first couple of years of driving. I still have the same car now (hopefully not for much longer though!) with 2 years no claim bonus and my insurance is now just under £500.
Reply 5
All I can say is I wish you the best of luck, because it'll be a struggle.

It's a pity you didn't think ahead and get quotes before splashing so much money on a car.
Original post by FXX
All I can say is I wish you the best of luck, because it'll be a struggle.

It's a pity you didn't think ahead and get quotes before splashing so much money on a car.

Wait.........I thought factory fitted stuff doesn't fall under modifications, it's only aftermarket modifications which count?
Reply 7
Original post by Iqbal007
Wait.........I thought factory fitted stuff doesn't fall under modifications, it's only aftermarket modifications which count?

Depends on the insurer. Elephant/Admiral/Bell/Diamond/etc require all optional extras to be declared. Even so, a Fiesta Zetec is getting onto warm hatch territory which is going to incur a premium, bodykit or not.
Original post by FXX
Depends on the insurer. Elephant/Admiral/Bell/Diamond/etc require all optional extras to be declared. Even so, a Fiesta Zetec is getting onto warm hatch territory which is going to incur a premium, bodykit or not.

I'm with Bell....though I never told them anything about the sunroof, alloys were standard....they didn't even ask about anything like that when asking about the car.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending