jermay88
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I am a mature student starting a course at Bristol University in September and will need to take my car with me. However, the university does not offer parking for students so I will need to find somewhere in Bristol to park my car that charge a reasonable rate annually or for free. As long as it's within a five mile radius of the university it should be fine as I am also taking a bike that I will use most of the time.

Can anyone help?
Advertisement
maverickpro
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
First thing first - Bristol is rolling out RPZs (Residents Parking Zones) in the inner city areas. Some areas already have them, some will be implemented over the next year or so. Basically, this means on street parking will be permit only during certain times; or pay and display and/or time restricted. However, there will still be unrestricted parking within 5 miles of the University (see this map).

The closest places to park for free will probably be Leigh Woods (over the tolled Clifton Suspension Bridge, but useful if you're coming from Weston Super Mare. You haven't mentioned whether you live in a nearby town or intend on moving to Bristol); or in Westbury Park (residential area to the east of Durdham Down, quite near the Stoke Bishop halls of residence).
jermay88
Rep:
?
(Original post by maverickpro)
First thing first - Bristol is rolling out RPZs (Residents Parking Zones) in the inner city areas. Some areas already have them, some will be implemented over the next year or so. Basically, this means on street parking will be permit only during certain times; or pay and display and/or time restricted. However, there will still be unrestricted parking within 5 miles of the University (see this map).

The closest places to park for free will probably be Leigh Woods (over the tolled Clifton Suspension Bridge, but useful if you're coming from Weston Super Mare. You haven't mentioned whether you live in a nearby town or intend on moving to Bristol); or in Westbury Park (residential area to the east of Durdham Down, quite near the Stoke Bishop halls of residence).
I will be staying at the university, so really parking over the suspension bridge would be a bit too far. Would the downs near stoke bishop be okay? For instance, along saville road or anywhere near there? I guess saville road is near durdham downs area anyway? If I could park there it would be perfect. I wouldn't be using my car an awful lot, and can cycle from the uni to my car when I need to use it. And on the map, was I meant to see areas of unrestricted parking? If so I couldn't see any?
Advertisement
maverickpro
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jermay88)
I will be staying at the university, so really parking over the suspension bridge would be a bit too far. Would the downs near stoke bishop be okay? For instance, along saville road or anywhere near there? I guess saville road is near durdham downs area anyway? If I could park there it would be perfect. I wouldn't be using my car an awful lot, and can cycle from the uni to my car when I need to use it. And on the map, was I meant to see areas of unrestricted parking? If so I couldn't see any?
On the map, the areas outside the coloured RPZ zones are uncontrolled, so you could park on Saville Road.
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
On that map, only the non-coloured areas of the map fall outside the RPZ, which includes Saville Road, but those areas may still have the standard sort of parking restrictions that you'd expect to find in a city.

Are you going to be at Stoke Bishop halls or Clifton Halls? If it's the former, you'll be fine, as those halls are just outside the RPZ, but if you're in Clifton halls you may like to consider renting a parking space via a website like www.parkatmyhouse.com
Advertisement
jermay88
Rep:
?

I will be staying at the university, so really parking over the suspension bridge would be a bit too far. Would the downs near stoke bishop be okay? For instance, along saville road or anywhere near there? I guess saville road is near durdham downs area anyway? If I could park there it would be perfect. I wouldn't be using my car an awful lot, and can cycle from the uni to my car when I need to use it.

(Original post by Origami Bullets)
On that map, only the non-coloured areas of the map fall outside the RPZ, which includes Saville Road, but those areas may still have the standard sort of parking restrictions that you'd expect to find in a city.

Are you going to be at Stoke Bishop halls or Clifton Halls? If it's the former, you'll be fine, as those halls are just outside the RPZ, but if you're in Clifton halls you may like to consider renting a parking space via a website like www.parkatmyhouse.com
Thank you so much. Im not sure what halls I'll be in yet (if I stay in halls at all as Im a mature student)... but according to the map even if I stayed in Clifton Halls, I wouldn't be that much more than 2 miles from Saville Road, or that kind of area, so by bicycle could do it very easily...
Origami Bullets
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I will be staying at the university, so really parking over the suspension bridge would be a bit too far. Would the downs near stoke bishop be okay? For instance, along saville road or anywhere near there? I guess saville road is near durdham downs area anyway? If I could park there it would be perfect. I wouldn't be using my car an awful lot, and can cycle from the uni to my car when I need to use it.

Thank you so much. Im not sure what halls I'll be in yet (if I stay in halls at all as Im a mature student)... but according to the map even if I stayed in Clifton Halls, I wouldn't be that much more than 2 miles from Saville Road, or that kind of area, so by bicycle could do it very easily...
Saville Road is on the Downs (don't say Durdham Downs - it instantly marks you out as a non-local!) - have a look on google maps. Only downside to parking around there is that I'm not sure what the bike parking is like along there (i.e. there is none that I know of unless it's been put in the last 5 years or so) and the Downs can be a bit sketchy at night - as a female I wouldn't opt to walk across the fields alone at night, though I'd be fine with cycling it.

The other alternative, as you're not going to be using your car much, is selling it and taking out a membership to the City Car Club http://www.citycarclub.co.uk/ - it's cheap car rental which allows you to pick up the car from a variety of parking bays across the city and rent in 15/30 minute chunks upwards. My mum has been a member for several years, and it works very well if you don't need a car for day to day use.
Advertisement
jermay88
Rep:
?

Saville Road is on the Downs (don't say Durdham Downs - it instantly marks you out as a non-local!) - have a look on google maps. Only downside to parking around there is that I'm not sure what the bike parking is like along there (i.e. there is none that I know of unless it's been put in the last 5 years or so) and the Downs can be a bit sketchy at night - as a female I wouldn't opt to walk across the fields alone at night, though I'd be fine with cycling it.

The other alternative, as you're not going to be using your car much, is selling it and taking out a membership to the City Car Club http://www.citycarclub.co.uk/ - it's cheap car rental which allows you to pick up the car from a variety of parking bays across the city and rent in 15/30 minute chunks upwards. My mum has been a member for several years, and it works very well if you don't need a car for day to day use.
Well my plan is to cycle to my car on the downs, and put my bike on a rack attached to my car, then drive off. Unfortunately the city car club, or zip cars isn't really an option as when I do drive it'l be considerably distance (100 miles to see friends etc) for the weekend, so using my own car would be cheaper overall. But I think I have the perfect spot now... what other roads along the downs may it be okay to park on?

I am too a bit hesitant about leaving my car there at night, but it has an alarm on it, and I am male, so night cycling across the downs isn't as big a deal for me. Thank you for putting so much thought into your answer.
Origami Bullets
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well my plan is to cycle to my car on the downs, and put my bike on a rack attached to my car, then drive off. Unfortunately the city car club, or zip cars isn't really an option as when I do drive it'l be considerably distance (100 miles to see friends etc) for the weekend, so using my own car would be cheaper overall. But I think I have the perfect spot now... what other roads along the downs may it be okay to park on?

I am too a bit hesitant about leaving my car there at night, but it has an alarm on it, and I am male, so night cycling across the downs isn't as big a deal for me. Thank you for putting so much thought into your answer.
That would make bike racks less relevant The relative costs, however, of owning your own car vs taking out a car club car are going to depend on how often you want to travel to see friends. Personally I just opt for the taking the bike on the train option, but I'm invariably going somewhere fairly urban or at least within cycling distance of a station, so that might not work for you (I don't drive, so that option never occurs to me!)

In terms of parking on the Downs, it's usually fairly quiet except over the summer, but I suspect that that may change when the RPZ comes in, because it will be on the edge of the new scheme, and some cars will choose to park there instead. TBH it'll most likely just be a case of driving around until you find a suitable parking spot - it shouldn't be too difficult. Unfortunately, I'm going to struggle to get any more specific than that, as I haven't lived in Bristol for over 3 years, haven't frequented the Downs for about 5 years, and I haven't passed my test, so car parking tends not to appear on my radar!
Advertisement
johnb2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Writing as a resident of Stoke Bishop and ex-BU student, I would advise against parking on the residential roads around Hiatt Baker Hall or The Downs. The local residents are not happy about the amount of inconsiderate, dangerous and illegal parking (including long-term parking of cars for weeks on end) and are beginning to take action, including reporting long-term parked vehicles as 'abandoned ' and taking pleasure from reporting vehicles that are causing obstruction in any sense. Plenty of parking fines have been handed out by the police in this area. Finally, there has been a marked increase in car crime in this area over the past year (vandalism, break-ins and theft). So the message is don't bring your car; if you must bring a car then get a university permit and park there - far cheaper and safer.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 6 Nov '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (2)
9.52%
They might tell the bully (4)
19.05%
I don't think they'd understand (3)
14.29%
It might lead to more bullying (7)
33.33%
There's nothing they could do (5)
23.81%

Watched Threads