Why is white privilege discussed but not Jewish privilege Watch

SpikeyTeeth
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Jewish people as a group have more privilege than white people. They earn more money than other groups. They have a far far greater representation at Harvard University than their demographic proportions. They are vastly over represented in media, politics and law.

Why is white privilege called out but Jewish privilege not only dismissed, but many would frown on the concept?
Phat Ho
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Is it just me, or does SpikeyTeeth have a point?
sallyjimjam
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
cambio wechsel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think the terms aren't analogous.

To the limited extent that I understand it, white privilege consists in large part of not fully understanding that and how others' lives are not as your life is. It's a function of your being the default setting for society's expectations of what a person is.

Now whatever else is true of Jews (eat chicken soup, have overbearing mothers, and I dunno) it cannot be said that they suppose everyone else is like them and can't know how good they've got it.
scrotgrot
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Only in America though, funnily enough that's where they all went after we decided we didn't want them in Europe any more. Like any ethnic/religious group Jews have times and places where they have been privileged and times and places where they have been persecuted.
AmisThysia
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The Jewish people have been perhaps some of the most consistently persecuted throughout all of history. I think, considering that white privilege is a much more widespread and prominent issue (more white people being advantaged, more minorities being disadvantaged), we can cut them some slack after that whole "Holocaust" thing.

I do see your point - in theory, any privileged group should receive the same treatment - but I think the difference is in how institutionalised it is. Institutionalised pro-white anti-minority racism exists, is widespread, and is prominent. There isn't really some institutionalised pro-Jew bias in affecting daily lives of the average citizen - it seems that Jewish people are just successful, for some reason or another, just like the average wage for Asians in America is significantly higher than it is for whites and others, for various reasons.
tanyapotter
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
have white people been a widely-targeted racial group for discrimination, persecution and scapegoatism in every given point in history? no? well, that answers your question.

Posted from TSR Mobile
AdvanceAndVanquish
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by SpikeyTeeth)
Jewish people as a group have more privilege than white people. They earn more money than other groups. They have a far far greater representation at Harvard University than their demographic proportions. They are vastly over represented in media, politics and law.

Why is white privilege called out but Jewish privilege not only dismissed, but many would frown on the concept?
Assuming that you buy into this 'racial/ethnic privilege' concept at all, you would still need to determine whether the massive over-representation of Jews in the political, economic, professional, and intellectual elite is something was was achieved with the help of a society which makes it easier for Jews, despite societal conditions which make it harder for them, or in conditions which are neutral.

As an example of Jews overachieving despite disadvantages, consider the situation of my grandfather. He had to change his name from a very obviously Jewish one to a more Anglo-Saxon one in order to get into medical school, as there was a policy of trying to limit the number of Jews being admitted. This is a classic example of 'anti-privilege', or disadvantage. Despite this discrimination, Jews were already becoming over-represented in the medical profession, and this was indeed what precipitated the attempt to screen out new Jewish applicants. So make of that what you will.
SpikeyTeeth
Rep:
?
(Original post by AmisThysia)
The Jewish people have been perhaps some of the most consistently persecuted throughout all of history. I think, considering that white privilege is a much more widespread and prominent issue (more white people being advantaged, more minorities being disadvantaged), we can cut them some slack after that whole "Holocaust" thing.

I do see your point - in theory, any privileged group should receive the same treatment - but I think the difference is in how institutionalised it is. Institutionalised pro-white anti-minority racism exists, is widespread, and is prominent. There isn't really some institutionalised pro-Jew bias in affecting daily lives of the average citizen - it seems that Jewish people are just successful, for some reason or another, just like the average wage for Asians in America is significantly higher than it is for whites and others, for various reasons.
Do you think that there is a reason that the Jews have been looked upon negatively in 200 countries and expelled, and specifically the Jews more than any other group, or is it just coincidence and the stupidity of all these different people's combined.

I guess I am opening the question: while there is the concept of "white blame", why isn't there the concept of "Jewish blame"?

Or what about "African blame". Is it only the fault of whites who arrived in Africa in the last few hundred years that Africa didn't develop in the last 10,000 years - white brainwashing on college campuses and the false mass media will tell you this as part of the consumer culture guilt cloak.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

ermm i guess it is partly genetic and partly cultural ? educational achievement is highly prized in the Jewish community. young Jewish people strive hard to get qualifications; they do not fritter away their lives on sewshul meeja.
Jewish genes have selected for intellectual prowess; also musical and chess ability.
i hope that answers your unpleasant post.
Faye_m
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's simple. Really simple in fact.

Kenyans are always winning Marathons etc and are great runners by nature.

Jews are great bankers etc by nature.

No privilege. It just is.
MagicNMedicine
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Something I don't understand about these types that always insist on us being able to celebrate white history and achievement, be proud of our white skin etc, is they always seem to have some beef about Jews. Most Jews have the same skin tone as the rest of us European caucasians.

So if you are so in to white solidarity why have beef with Jews? You should be proud of their achievements.

Whats wrong in celebrating the achievements of your fellow whites like Albert Einstein, Sigmund Freud, Karl Marx, major influential figures?

If a lot of Jews are represented in banking, law, successful fields isn't this something to be celebrated as achievements of white caucasian people?
yo radical one
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
OP doesn't really understand what White privilege means

Some Jews are White (but at the same time sometimes rejected by Whites, almost like the Irish in the 1950's etc) so the whole thing is slightly confounded by this, however White privilege isn't about White people having money and such, but rather a system which favours them and sees them as the best, it exists not just in White people but in the minds non-Whites too, lots of Indians and Arabs see pale skin and Western culture as the best for example. You could also talk about East Asians in America or Nigerian (Igbo) immigrants both of whom tend to outdo White people for whatever reason, but you would not talk about Asian or African privilege because things were not set up in favour of them. They succeeded in spite of the system rather than because of it, much like the Jews.
cambio wechsel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Faye_m)
Jews are great bankers etc by nature.
Hmm, I'm not sure that this is something like (your example) long distance running. We can explain why Kenyans are good at long distance running as "by nature".
samba
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
jewish 'privilege' :rofl:

You clearly don't understand either the concept or the word.
tanyapotter
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
why are we comparing an ethnicity to a religion, anyway?

Posted from TSR Mobile
SpikeyTeeth
Rep:
?
(Original post by tanyapotter)
oh boohoo, i'm a white person!! i'm a victim of so many things!! i'm not being paid enough attention to!!! i deserve sympathy!!!!!!! NOTICE ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why is it good to be noticed for being gay, make a big flaunt of it, pink credit cards, rainbow flags etc. When gayness does not produce offspring, but at the same time not be proud of being white when our ancestors created the greatest civilisations on earth?
TurboCretin
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
To answer OP's specific question, this Jewish writer for the New York Observer offers his insight:

http://observer.com/2006/05/my-jewis...-jewish-elite/

The answer to the question comes in the final paragraph. In short, he says that Jewish excellence is a large part of Jewish culture in America. Outside Jewish circles the topic is not discussed, however, due to the consequences for Jews which resulted from the recognition of a Jewish elite in Germany.
tanyapotter
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Why is it good to be noticed for being gay, make a big flaunt of it, pink credit cards, rainbow flags etc. When gayness does not produce offspring, but at the same time not be proud of being white when our ancestors created the greatest civilisations on earth?
you misunderstand. there is nothing wrong with being proud of your origins. but gay pride isn't solely for the fact of being gay; it is about having the courage to come out to a society where gays have been persecuted for so long.

and white people aren't the only ones who have built society. the egyptians were building pyramids while white people in roman britain were still burying their excrement to stop disease spreading. so what is your point, really?

NB: alan turing, the founding father of computer science, was gay. without him, you wouldn't even be writing this argument on this website. please, fascinate me further.

Posted from TSR Mobile
SpikeyTeeth
Rep:
?
(Original post by TurboCretin)
To answer OP's specific question, this Jewish writer for the New York Observer offers his insight:

http://observer.com/2006/05/my-jewis...-jewish-elite/

The answer to the question comes in the final paragraph. In short, he says that Jewish excellence is a large part of Jewish culture in America. Outside Jewish circles the topic is not discussed, however, due to the consequences for Jews which resulted from the recognition of a Jewish elite in Germany.
In response to this post and the one above about gays being praised to valid persecution:

So our entire cultures ethic, belief system, values etc. Revolves around the avoidance of persecution of groups.

Is this a good principle on which to run a society, for this to be the ultimate aim, and the decider of facts even?

Is tolerance a goal that is going to bring us to a good destination ultimately? What about to tolerance of other culture and the negation of your own to such an extent that you become eclipsed.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (263)
15.29%
The paper was reasonable (958)
55.7%
Not feeling great about that exam... (370)
21.51%
It was TERRIBLE (129)
7.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise