Can I drop Further Maths this late on?

Watch
Oligopoly94
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi, recently I received my last offer from university for the study of economics which only offer me two A's in pure maths and economics. I'm currently studying maths, further maths, and economics.

I've already got a full A level in history at grade B which is why I was only quoted two grades but my question is at this point, having already been entered for the further maths exams can I drop out of them? I say this because I genuinely feel the further maths is significantly hindering my performance in economics as of late and if my desired university doesn't require me to achieve the grade then why should I do unnecessary work.

I'm anxious about bringing this to the attention of my teacher because I'm predicted an A* in further, and my school is notorious for pushing people into exams they don't want to do to achieve a better grade average.

I feel like my full attention should be primarily on economics and I feel dropping this subject I would have the spare time to really achieve a high mark.

So, do you think having already been entered for the exams they will let me drop out?

Posted from TSR Mobile
JamesM96
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Oligopoly94)
Hi, recently I received my last offer from university for the study of economics which only offer me two A's in pure maths and economics. I'm currently studying maths, further maths, and economics.

I've already got a full A level in history at grade B which is why I was only quoted two grades but my question is at this point, having already been entered for the further maths exams can I drop out of them? I say this because I genuinely feel the further maths is significantly hindering my performance in economics as of late and if my desired university doesn't require me to achieve the grade then why should I do unnecessary work.

I'm anxious about bringing this to the attention of my teacher because I'm predicted an A* in further, and my school is notorious for pushing people into exams they don't want to do to achieve a better grade average.

I feel like my full attention should be primarily on economics and I feel dropping this subject I would have the spare time to really achieve a high mark.

So, do you think having already been entered for the exams they will let me drop out?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Get in contact with your school/college and explain the situation, I'm sure they'll understand.
Oligopoly94
Rep:
?
I think they would of understood if this was months ago prior to them entering me for the exams, but I can't help when the university's decide to make offers can I. Do you think I have a reasonable case?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lasershark
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes, it is too late. One of the unwritten conditions of your offer might be because you are taking Further Maths. It's not stipulated in your offer, but it may well be a contextual factor which influenced their decision. They also might want three A-levels in one 'sitting' and if you dropped you'd only have two in one sitting, as History was in last year's sitting.

If you're predicted an A*, just get off the internet and work to get it.
Jkizer
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Just call your uni up first and see if its ok.

Someone in the year below me dropped a subject the other day without too many issues, though i suppose exam officers are different in attitudes.
Zenzic
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Don't drop it this late on. I were in a similar position with one of my A-levels. I were doing 4 and decided to just stop working for one of them.
Focus on your others but just turn up for the further maths exam and try your best.
Oligopoly94
Rep:
?
If further was such an influential factor in the decision to make me an offer, then surely they'd make this clear by either offering a low grade for further or just some written confirmation that this is also apart of the offer. I would understand if I was applying for pure maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lasershark
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If further was such an influential factor in the decision to make me an offer, then surely they'd make this clear by either offering a low grade for further or just some written confirmation that this is also apart of the offer. I would understand if I was applying for pure maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Stop trying to take the easy way out. You would not be doing three A-levels in one sitting so it is very likely all your offers would be withdrawn. It's not part of the written offer but who knows whether it's contextual or not; your offers are made on the information provided at the time of application, and you told them you were doing Further Maths. That information would change if you drop it, basically making you a liar in their eyes; they might think it was your plan all along, to tell then you're doing Further to make them like you more, then drop it at the last minute and hope they don't change their minds.

I'm not saying you did this, I'm saying the universities will think this. It's probably not in your offer because you have A2 History, but there is the sitting issue and the great possibility that Further Maths influenced your offers.
Oligopoly94
Rep:
?
I would hardly suggest that I'm taking the easy way out, I'm studying economics not maths, and even given that people are made offers for the same degree without maths or economics as apart of their A levels, I hardly think they are basing a crucial part of there decision of on whether or not I am going to do further maths or not. I would quite happily do further maths, but I have to clarify I'm doing the entire A level in one year along side normal maths and economics which is significantly affecting my performance in the subject I should be emphasising the most.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1002982
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Why don't you just sit further maths but move your revision to Economics? Essentially the same level of extra free time as you aren't revising for FM, but you still get a qualification.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mike_123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you can't handle 3 A2s then think twice about uni, to put it as bluntly at possible
alejandro_o
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Why not just not focus on it, and sit the exam? The actual exam won't take much out of your life, and if you're doing well in it, you'll do alright without study anyway?
Anonymousgirll
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I would ring the uni up and ask them about whether further maths is part of your offer. If it is then you will just have to get on with it and spread your time out as much as possible. If it is not then I would talk to your schools exam officer and your teacher and explain how the uni doesn't require it and how you want to put your time into economics and maths. They should understand that. Best of luck.
Oligopoly94
Rep:
?
I'm doing the entire further maths in one year, which the year before I did the entire A level history in one year. It's just further maths. Any other subject I would feel I would be able to cope comfortably.

What's also interesting is that I guarantee if I had applied without doing further maths I would of been given an offer similar to the one I have now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lasershark
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm doing the entire further maths in one year, which the year before I did the entire A level history in one year. It's just further maths. Any other subject I would feel I would be able to cope comfortably.

What's also interesting is that I guarantee if I had applied without doing further maths I would of been given an offer similar to the one I have now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You can't guarantee anything; you obviously haven't listened to anything about the sitting issue I told you about. If you want to be an arrogant teenager who thinks he knows better than heavily qualified admissions tutors, drop Further Maths. Don't come crying on here on results day when you haven't got a university to go to.

Did you honestly expect for everyone on here to agree with your plan and tell you it would all be okay?
Oligopoly94
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymousgirll)
I would ring the uni up and ask them about whether further maths is part of your offer. If it is then you will just have to get on with it and spread your time out as much as possible. If it is not then I would talk to your schools exam officer and your teacher and explain how the uni doesn't require it and how you want to put your time into economics and maths. They should understand that. Best of luck.
Is it really that simple, all I do is ring up and ask? I always got the impression it would take a while just to get in contact with relevant tutors to discuss it with.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oligopoly94
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lasershark)
You can't guarantee anything; you obviously haven't listened to anything about the sitting issue I told you about. If you want to be an arrogant teenager who thinks he knows better than heavily qualified admissions tutors, drop Further Maths. Don't come crying on here on results day when you haven't got a university to go to.

Did you honestly expect for everyone on here to agree with your plan and tell you it would all be okay?
No I didn't expect them to agree with it. I was just questioning your reasoning given the circumstance I'm involved in. Your argument is based on a number of assumptions regarding my application, which have absolutely no worth in discussing the matter, then you lower yourself to call me an arrogant teenager who's quite innocently seeking some advice. All you're doing is speculating with the probability that my university may care and then as it seems gets aggressive that I have questioned your line of argument. What you need to remember is your guessing that they will care, you have absolutely zero evidence that there will be a bearing on this A level or not and therefore why should your argument be any credible than the idea that they won't care.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anonymousgirll
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Is it really that simple, all I do is ring up and ask? I always got the impression it would take a while just to get in contact with relevant tutors to discuss it with.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes first of all you would ring them to find out whether you can or not. The person on the phone will either but you through to a tutor or someone relevant. Or you could ring that department you could have that number somewhere or check out their website. If not ring admissions and just explain to them what the situation is and say that ask further maths is not part of your offer would they still want you to do it or could you drop it. Someone I know rang about their EPQ to a uni yes it's a different subject but it wasn't part of their offer so they asked the uni if they could drop it. Try and see what happens. But if you have faith in yourself then try doing your further maths exam. However if you feel like you have more to loose by doing it then don't do it. Ultimately it's your choice, best of luck.
Oligopoly94
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymousgirll)
Yes first of all you would ring them to find out whether you can or not. The person on the phone will either but you through to a tutor or someone relevant. Or you could ring that department you could have that number somewhere or check out their website. If not ring admissions and just explain to them what the situation is and say that ask further maths is not part of your offer would they still want you to do it or could you drop it. Someone I know rang about their EPQ to a uni yes it's a different subject but it wasn't part of their offer so they asked the uni if they could drop it. Try and see what happens. But if you have faith in yourself then try doing your further maths exam. However if you feel like you have more to loose by doing it then don't do it. Ultimately it's your choice, best of luck.
Thanks for the response, I will ring up tomorrow.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anonymousgirll
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thanks for the response, I will ring up tomorrow.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No worries and you're welcome. Let is know how it goes, I hope they let you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (558)
34%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (677)
41.26%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (331)
20.17%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (75)
4.57%

Watched Threads