The Student Room Group

Edexcel economics unit 1 may 13th

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Literally my whole Economics class chose tobacco, ahah.
Reply 61
Original post by Edmondbeech
Well lets be honest, no one did question nine. That was horrific! Multiple choice was lovely

Haha, I'm part of the 2% that chose 9. It went well, was initially difficult but the 14 markers paid off. Very straightforward....and the regulation question in 10 put me off. I liked supply of labour in 9 too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dylann
Haha, I'm part of the 2% that chose 9. It went well, was initially difficult but the 14 markers paid off. Very straightforward....and the regulation question in 10 put me off. I liked supply of labour in 9 too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough! How did you think the multiple choice went?
Original post by zabi1
what did everyone write about the 14 markers for question 10?

The first one about benefits on individuals and govt. I talked about private and external benefits. E.g. Longer life, decrease in spending for the government on the NHS for smoking related issues. Positive externalities graph.
Eval:
Hard to put a monetary value on benefits,
magnitude of the decrease in consumption.
Cant remember my final eval point

Second one.
High regulations lead to an opportunity cost for smuggling, loss of revenue of £2billion and then negative externalities graph.
Eval:
High regulations don't mean smuggling, Spain and Italy low tax high smuggling,
Packaging leads to increase change of counterfeiting.
Cant remember last eval.

Hope this helped!
Reply 64
Fair enough! How did you think the multiple choice went?

Easy stuff...not difficult at all. Hopefully 31+ marks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dylann
Easy stuff...not difficult at all. Hopefully 31+ marks

Posted from TSR Mobile

As far as I can remember.
1) Opporutnity cost - scarce resources.
2) Division of Labour - Decrease in output per unit.
Don't know the correct order from here...

answer on p.e.s = 0.33 price inelastic.
Fish was a inelastic good for both countries
the tax was an advalorem.
Government buys and adds to its stock.
Tea harvest - Increase in supply for tea....

Cant remember the final question
As far as I can remember.
1) Opporutnity cost - scarce resources.
2) Division of Labour - Decrease in output per unit.
Don't know the correct order from here...

answer on p.e.s = 0.33 price inelastic.
Fish was a inelastic good for both countries
the tax was an advalorem.
Government buys and adds to its stock.
Tea harvest - Increase in supply for tea....

Cant remember the final question

Your answer should be correct

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TMStyle
Literally my whole Economics class chose tobacco, ahah.

One of my friends chooses the first one...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wasn't one answer normal for cereal in one country and inferior for another?
Reply 69
Original post by Chloe Chow
One of my friends chooses the first one...

Blasphemy! How dare they :O
Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by mhassan
Wasn't one answer normal for cereal in one country and inferior for another?

Hmm, I think that the answer was that they were both income inelastic. I remember rejecting the cereal option because they weren't normal and inferior, they were switched around.
The multiple choice questions were pretty straightforward. And I did question 10, but for last question on increased taxes and regulations leading to gov. failure. I didn't talk about negative externalities. Is thatt ok? What did you guys put for that question?
Original post by Chloe Chow
Your answer should be correct

Posted from TSR Mobile

For tea harvest, I put decrease in the pice of sugar because I thought that tea and sugar are complementary goods?
Original post by chococup123
The multiple choice questions were pretty straightforward. And I did question 10, but for last question on increased taxes and regulations leading to gov. failure. I didn't talk about negative externalities. Is thatt ok? What did you guys put for that question?

If I remember, I wrote about the illegal smuggling which can lead to more unaware health concerns since they can contain harmful chemical substances. And that there'd be less tax revenue if there was smuggling. The regulation led to like 1000+ pubs closing so unemployment and that people would not be able to hang out in there.
I ran out of time on the last question since I only have 10 minutes to answer it and I don't think I drew a negative externalities graph woops.

For the question concerning the elasticity of cigarettes/tobacco. I said it was inelastic but for children since there was no change in demand it was perfectly inelastic.

Everyone in my class chose the tobacco question as well :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by MelonKuma
If I remember, I wrote about the illegal smuggling which can lead to more unaware health concerns since they can contain harmful chemical substances. And that there'd be less tax revenue if there was smuggling. The regulation led to like 1000+ pubs closing so unemployment and that people would not be able to hang out in there.
I ran out of time on the last question since I only have 10 minutes to answer it and I don't think I drew a negative externalities graph woops.

For the question concerning the elasticity of cigarettes/tobacco. I said it was inelastic but for children since there was no change in demand it was perfectly inelastic.

Everyone in my class chose the tobacco question as well :smile:

Omg I put exactly the same points as you, feeling much better now. Thank you! :smile:
Reply 74
what were the last 3 questions for number 10 again?
Reply 75
Hi :smile:
Just wanted to ask how did everyone find the exam. Which question did you do for section B , and if anyone did question 10 did we have to draw a externality diagram if so which one.
Also did anyone run out of time for the paper.
Reply 76
Original post by Nnnnawaz
Hi :smile:
Just wanted to ask how did everyone find the exam. Which question did you do for section B , and if anyone did question 10 did we have to draw a externality diagram if so which one.
Also did anyone run out of time for the paper.

Pretty decent exam.
I did 9 lol (minority)
I didn't run out of time

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 77
I drew a diagram showing welfare loss as normal but described that less smoking means that the level of smoking is moving towards the social optimum

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending