Bank Holiday Drink Related Carnage Round Town Watch

This discussion is closed.
Mark_KK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Went out into town tonight for a few (non alcoholic) drinks, it was carnage.

Many people had been drinking since lunchtime and there seemed to be a high threat of violence starting, I was even threatened when someone accidentally walked into me!

Finally went home early despite some places having extensions well into the early hours. It was so busy people were having to que to get into pubs where you could normally walk straight in even on a Saturday night!!!

Its a real shame that on Easter Sunday all some people care about is getting boozed up and starting fights.

I gave up drinking alcohol about five weeks ago and am not going to start again until after my exams finish on July 2nd, I find that a big session at the weekend can hit me for six until Tuesday!!!

Am I the only person who has some concern over how bad drink related activities are becoming in city centres after dark? It is not uncommon to see people fighting / trashing street furniture or shop fronts / urinating in public (both female and male) / being generally rowdy, abusive and intimidating round the town.
Kurdt Morello
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
well it is the drinking culture in this country - i have abstained now since last May because of my car. yesterday went out with a couple of mates for a drink and one got tipsy and chatted up the wrong bird - got her boyfriend upset and i had to pull him outta there - apologise to the man - and buy him a drink so he didnt follow us anywhere
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I don;t have a problem with it. A nation full of pissed people is a nation better than reality.

What I do have a problem with is scallies who cannot handle their drink and cause trouble, they should be locked up but in Manchester they do get locked up so its not a problem. I think its more of a problem in smaller towns with less police presence.
Mark_KK
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kurdt Morello)
well it is the drinking culture in this country - i have abstained now since last May because of my car. yesterday went out with a couple of mates for a drink and one got tipsy and chatted up the wrong bird - got her boyfriend upset and i had to pull him outta there - apologise to the man - and buy him a drink so he didnt follow us anywhere
One advantage of not drinking is that you will never chat up an ugly girl again !!!
Other advatages are the obvious benefit of not feeling like toss for two days after a heavy session and also you keep pounds in your bank account and lose them off your waist. I was spending £30-40 a week (or thereabouts) on boozing and now I am up to £160 a month better off!
The final benefit is being able to go home when you want as you can drive - no messing about waiting for taxis!!!
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
I don;t have a problem with it. A nation full of pissed people is a nation better than reality.

What I do have a problem with is scallies who cannot handle their drink and cause trouble, they should be locked up but in Manchester they do get locked up so its not a problem. I think its more of a problem in smaller towns with less police presence.
its gets pretty hairy in Essex where there are a lot of yobs at times - thankfully not many round where i live though - but my old friends' pubs were full of flash car driving hooligans
Mark_KK
Rep:
?

Agreed, I was not criticising people who go out drinking, I was pointing at the people who think that they have to get as much alcohol down their necks as possible then start a fight or they havent had a good night out!
Personally I would like to see stricter penalties for drink related violence however often the police dont want to know.
One of my friends was assulted round town before Christmas and the police attitude was appalling, they actually collared the guy who did it but then relased him saying that we had to take out a private prosecution if we wanted to persue it!!!
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yeah its not like that here, the great thing about Manchester it is so big that you can keep well away from the scally parts. The scally parts tend to the smaller towns such as Stockport, Oldham etc. In Manchester the police just move them on and the clubs are quite strict the scallies hardly get in apart from certain well known scally clubs.

I've never had a problem or personal encounter with drunken louts at night. Yes they are roudy people singing and stuff but they don't cause any trouble.
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Mark_KK)
One advantage of not drinking is that you will never chat up an ugly girl again !!!
Other advatages are the obvious benefit of not feeling like toss for two days after a heavy session and also you keep pounds in your bank account and lose them off your waist. I was spending £30-40 a week (or thereabouts) on boozing and now I am up to £160 a month better off!
The final benefit is being able to go home when you want as you can drive - no messing about waiting for taxis!!!
lol - well said mate - absolutely - not drinking saves a lot of money and saves alot of heartache - but i think by July i might end the abstension because it will be summer and my uni will be on the horizon - must train just a little
Mark_KK
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kurdt Morello)
its gets pretty hairy in Essex where there are a lot of yobs at times - thankfully not many round where i live though - but my old friends' pubs were full of flash car driving hooligans
What I want to know is where does everyone get the money from?
Most of these yobs are not high earners and yet they always have money for booze and flash cars.
What's Chico Time Precious?
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

Yep i safely say that my small town has quite a few alcohol related problems, mainly fights outside the one and only nightclub :rolleyes: either that or some complete idiot deciding to vandalise a shopwindow in full view of CCTV cameras.
Mark_KK
Rep:
?
LOL I used to think that the only way I would meet girls is when I was boozed up in a nightclub yet I have since realised that boozed up in a nightclub is the worst place to meet them!!!
Mark_KK
Rep:
?
(Original post by Absolution)
Yep i safely say that my small town has quite a few alcohol related problems, mainly fights outside the one and only nightclub :rolleyes: either that or some complete idiot deciding to vandalise a shopwindow in full view of CCTV cameras.
In my town (Hull) they have just installed CCTV all over the City (not just the town centre) yet my (now ex) girlfriends car still got trashed infront of one of them .
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Absolution)
Thats the exact problem, if a town only has one night club its bown to infested with scallies, if a city has 100 night clubs there will be student only night clubs which scallies actually find intimidating and avoud like the plaque.

I think the clubs and pubs should take more responsiblity as well although its a difficult one as the alchohol could be consumed else where.

I've had two hang overs in my life, one was an accident, I still cannot explain it, the other was me drinking too much but I still wasn;t rowdy or caused any trouble.
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
What I want to know is where does everyone get the money from?
Most of these yobs are not high earners and yet they always have money for booze and flash cars.
Ah essex boys with rich parents who indulge their every whim - that is the only reason - no morals generally and spoilt brats with money to burn! Mums and Dads own their own dodgy business typically cars ... etc. etc.
Mark_KK
Rep:
?
Thats the exact problem, if a town only has one night club its bown to infested with scallies, if a city has 100 night clubs there will be student only night clubs which scallies actually find intimidating and avoud like the plaque.

I think the clubs and pubs should take more responsiblity as well although its a difficult one as the alchohol could be consumed else where.

I've had two hang overs in my life, one was an accident, I still cannot explain it, the other was me drinking too much but I still wasn;t rowdy or caused any trouble.
The only way to solve the problem is to make bars and pubs more accountable for what people do inside or nearby them.

There was a bar called "Pepis" on Hull marina. Every Sunday at 10:50 (kicking out time) there was a ruckus outside, you could set your watch by it. It also had major problems with persistant under-age drinking as did another bar nearby called "Tropical Knights".

After years of warning them the authorities finally took action and both licences were refused when they came up for renewal. The only problem is this crowd has now moved to another area of town thus the problem is just being shifted elsewhere.

Perhaps this is the way forward!!!
What's Chico Time Precious?
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
The only way to solve the problem is to make bars and pubs more accountable for what people do inside or nearby them.

There was a bar called "Pepis" on Hull marina. Every Sunday at 10:50 (kicking out time) there was a ruckus outside, you could set your watch by it. It also had major problems with persistant under-age drinking as did another bar nearby called "Tropical Knights".

After years of warning them the authorities finally took action and both licences were refused when they came up for renewal. The only problem is this crowd has now moved to another area of town thus the problem is just being shifted elsewhere.

Perhaps this is the way forward!!!
Exactly, they fill everyone up on 'Happy Hour (or 5)' drinks at buy 3 for 50pence, get them all completely bladdered and then kick them out, 'not our problem' what they do outside. :rolleyes: tis ridiculous.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yep I've long argued that the 11:00pm closing time is stupid, the local bars in my imediate area open to 12:00 which is much better. Pubs/clubs should be forced to stay open for two hours after they have to stop drinking. This would allow people to sobour up and not have to rush their drinks as much.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (160)
19.37%
Labour (420)
50.85%
Liberal Democrats (111)
13.44%
Green Party (46)
5.57%
Brexit Party (12)
1.45%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.48%
SNP (14)
1.69%
Plaid Cymru (4)
0.48%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
0.73%
SDLP (1)
0.12%
Ulster Unionist (4)