The Student Room Group

Should I take A level Law?

Hi guys,

I was wondering whether i should take A level law. I hope in the future to get into one of the Russell Group universities (mainly Cambridge) and i have realised after researching that some consider A level Law as a 'soft' A level. However, I would really like to study the subject but if it does hinder my chances of getting in I will just read a lot of legal books and sort of 'self-teach'. I would really appreciate if you could help me (especially if you , yourself have or know someone who took (or didn't take) A Level Law and got into Cambridge). Oh, and the other A level subjects I am thinking of taking are: History, French, English Literature (and Maths if I don't take Law)

Thank for your time :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by 10kachikat
Hi guys,

I was wondering whether i should take A level law. I hope in the future to get into one of the Russell Group universities (mainly Cambridge) and i have realised after researching that some consider A level Law as a 'soft' A level. However, I would really like to study the subject but if it does hinder my chances of getting in I will just read a lot of legal books and sort of 'self-teach'. I would really appreciate if you could help me (especially if you , yourself have or know someone who took (or didn't take) A Level Law and got into Cambridge). Oh, and the other A level subjects I am thinking of taking are: History, French, English Literature (and Maths if I don't take Law)

Thank for your time :smile:

It doesn't really hinder your chances unless you're applying for law. For pretty much everything it should be suitable.
Reply 2
Original post by 391iady
It doesn't really hinder your chances unless you're applying for law. For pretty much everything it should be suitable.

Oh, ahaha i am thinking of applying for Law :L Thank you very much though for your help!
Reply 3
Original post by 10kachikat
Oh, ahaha i am thinking of applying for Law :L Thank you very much though for your help!

Not every place considers it bad for law, but some do. Absolutely no place has it essential.
I wouldn't do it. Firstly unis would rather you have history/english lit because they're essay subjects, and good ones. Secondly, friends have taken it and said it wasn't very good at all, and another that it doesn't in any way prepare you for a law degree tbh.
Nope!

French, English Lit, History and Maths would be a great combination :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest