This discussion is closed.
randdom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
Do women have to do it? Are they asked? In most cases, I would say: "no".
It is normally a relitively long consultation before referal for an abortion. My friend had an abortion which I don't judge her for when she was either 15 or 16 I can't remember we were in year 11 anyway. Well her bf wouldn't go so I offered to go to the family planning clinic (I think it was that clinic anyway) for moral support. Anyway the doctor spent at least 20 minutes talking to her about why she wanted to abort the foetus and whether she was absolutely sure before refering her. It isn't just a quick consultation.
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I would encourage those who are having an abortion for 'dubious reasons' as mentioned before to reconsider and persuade them not to have one though. My friend said that she saw an article in the paper and they're on about showing pictures of the unborn child to the pregnant mother. She said that this has been criticised as emotional blackmail. We both agreed it was more educational than anything.

We also held it was wrong that all these women who do have abortions for pathetic reasons (not the legitimate ones) because there are so many would-be parents who cannot have children. It's a shame they have to lose out. Many surrogate mothers will go to extraordinary lengths to have one. Look at those three victims who were conned into buying that baby over the internet and how much they paid. Doesn't it show how much they really want one?
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by randdom)
It is normally a relitively long consultation before referal for an abortion. My friend had an abortion which I don't judge her for when she was either 15 or 16 I can't remember we were in year 11 anyway. Well her bf wouldn't go so I offered to go to the family planning clinic (I think it was that clinic anyway) for moral support. Anyway the doctor spent at least 20 minutes talking to her about why she wanted to abort the foetus and whether she was absolutely sure before refering her. It isn't just a quick consultation.
What about private clinics?
randdom
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
What about private clinics?
Personally I have no experiance of private clinics. Do you?
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Personally I have no experiance of private clinics. Do you?
I've heard from friends (who know someone that has) that it is basically a walk-in/walk-out experience, with a little "Are you sure?" in between.
randdom
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
We also held it was wrong that all these women who do have abortions for pathetic reasons (not the legitimate ones) because there are so many would-be parents who cannot have children. It's a shame they have to lose out. Many surrogate mothers will go to extraordinary lengths to have one. Look at those three victims who were conned into buying that baby over the internet and how much they paid. Doesn't it show how much they really want one?
While it is sad that there are so many couple out there that cannot have children I do not thinkn that this is a fair reason to make women have their babies when they don't want to. I think that the women should be given all the information about the options like adoption ect. But in the end I believe that it is her decision as to whether she wants to keep her baby.
sarah101
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
I would encourage those who are having an abortion for 'dubious reasons' as mentioned before to reconsider and persuade them not to have one though. My friend said that she saw an article in the paper and they're on about showing pictures of the unborn child to the pregnant mother. She said that this has been criticised as emotional blackmail. We both agreed it was more educational than anything.

I agree that it's really sad that so many unwanted children are conceived when so many couples who are desperate for children can't have them. It seems to me that there is a lot of hatred directed at mothers who are willing to give up their children for adoption. Maybe if this was more widely accepted then less people would feel the need to have an abortion. I know it's a pretty naive way of thinking and could never happen but it does seem to make sense.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
While it is sad that there are so many couple out there that cannot have children I do not thinkn that this is a fair reason to make women have their babies when they don't want to. I think that the women should be given all the information about the options like adoption ect. But in the end I believe that it is her decision as to whether she wants to keep her baby.
What I find so ridiculous about the whole debate about abortion is this:
When a mother wants her child, it is seen as "Our baby". When a mother doesn't want her child it is seen as "A bunch of cells". :mad:
randdom
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
When a mother wants her child, it is seen as "Our baby". When a mother doesn't want her child it is seen as "A bunch of cells". :mad:
Well that is still the mothers choice. You can say the same for some guys though. If he is married and his wife gets pregnant after they have been trying he will be happy and probably call it his baby. But many men won't hesitate in suggesting to a one night stand who gets pregnant that she should have an abortion.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Well that is still the mothers choice.
..and that is simply your opinion. You still haven't addressed the discorrellation that exists with attitudes (I accept that men may think the same, but this isn't relavent, as it isn't about gender).
randdom
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
..and that is simply your opinion. You still haven't addressed the discorrellation that exists with attitudes (I accept that men may think the same, but this isn't relavent, as it isn't about gender).
Ok well the mother sees her foetus as her baby when it is wanted because she wants the baby. She is happy about the fact that she is pregnant and is looking forward to the birth of her child. However when the foetus is unwanted the mother doesn't perceive it to be alive because she is planning to abort it and can't imagen it growing into a child. Physically there is no difference it is all about perception. Generally women who have had one baby will not have an abortion because they have carried a child to full term and perceive the foetus to be a baby from very early on. Like I said it is all about perception.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

I have come across some people who think women can have a termination whenever they feel like. Yet if someone deliberately faults a mother to have an abortion so the effect would be to kill the phoetus they think they can get the perpetrator done for murder. The ironic thing is that individuals hold these two views simultaneously.

http://www.prolife.org.uk/articles.asp There is a link to look at the aborted phoetuses if you are inclined to look. I've seen the 22 week one and it looks very human. In fact I've come across born human beings who look less human than the aborted 22 week old baby!

Another interesting link http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/1134042.stm A thing I noticed is that even some members of the Liberal Democrats wants the rules on abortion changed, even restricted. So what does this say? Since they're a party most on freedom, human rights and so on.
Amb1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Some people seem to think that many women have abortions because they are "convenient". This makes it sound like an abortion is an easy thing to decide upon, go through with and deal with for the rest of your life. Abortion is a very traumatic experience and is not a walk in/get rid/walk out/sorted/forget about it process at all - it's not fair on women who have experienced abortion to think in this way.

I agree that it's sad that many people want babies and can't have them while at the same time women are aborting their pregnancies. However, pregnancy and giving birth are extremely physically demanding on the mother and can cause very serious, unforseeable, permanent problems. I know there are horror stories about complications with abortion too, but it is usually a lot less risky than a 9 month pregnancy and giving birth...

I don't see why some people think having an abortion is irresponsible. If a woman can actually recognise that having a child who would not have the best she could possibly provide and may be resented, or that adopted children can and often do experience immense emotional pain and confusion when they are older, and is willing to go through a very distressing and painful experience (and carry this with her for the rest of her life) to prevent this from happening, I think that is quite a selfless and responsible thing to do.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Amb1)
I think that is quite a selfless and responsible thing to do.
I'm sorry, but that is crap. Women have abortions to retain (what they think is) the quality of their life. It is a completely self-motivated decision.
Amb1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I'm sorry, but that is crap. Women have abortions to retain (what they think is) the quality of their life. It is a completely self-motivated decision.
Well, clearly you know what you're talking about. Have you experienced this?

Some women might well have an abortion for the reason you suggest but I'm sure it's the minority.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Amb1)
Well, clearly you know what you're talking about. Have you experienced this?

Some women might well have an abortion for the reason you suggest but I'm sure it's the minority.
What do you mean "the minority"? Women have abortions because a child is not convenient to them, at that time. They can dress it up with:
"I wouldn't be able to give the child a good quality of life, blah,blah,blah", but this is little more than trying to justify it to themselves, which is natural.
Amb1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
What do you mean "the minority"? Women have abortions because a child is not convenient to them, at that time. They can dress it up with:
"I wouldn't be able to give the child a good quality of life, blah,blah,blah", but this is little more than trying to justify it to themselves, which is natural.
I'm sorry but that actually is crap. I really don't think you should judge all women who have abortions by the same standard.

And by "the minority", I mean 'a small number of', or 'few'.
neha p
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
this is the most common excuse given, but nowadays doctors rarely accept it.
Amb1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Do you think the same about a woman who would have their child adopted?
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Amb1)
I'm sorry but that actually is crap. I really don't think you should judge all women who have abortions by the same standard.

And by "the minority", I mean 'a small number of', or 'few'.
Perhaps this minority should not get away with it? I don't see why the minority should escape the Rule of Law.

Could we have some statistics from an NHS site or something?

I really like to know what the conditions were for the otherwise would-be mother of that 22 week old foetus though.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (314)
46.04%
No (75)
11%
I'm not old enough (293)
42.96%

Watched Threads