Turn on thread page Beta

AS English Language- Power, gender or technology? watch

ReputationRep:
    Which option will you probably choose next Wednesday?:confused::confused:

I'm edging towards power at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    Edging towards gender. Power is quite a popular choice and there is a lot to write about though

ReputationRep:
    I agree, Tanya.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WeirdlyWonderful)
    Edging towards gender. Power is quite a popular choice and there is a lot to write about though
    I was originally edging towards gender but it's so hard to apply the theories for me

ReputationRep:
    I was going towards gender but they can always throw in a mens vitamin website extract like they've done once where it's difficult to apply many theorists. Probably going to go with power, technology is ugh for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Libbie-)
    I was going towards gender but they can always throw in a mens vitamin website extract like they've done once where it's difficult to apply many theorists. Probably going to go with power, technology is ugh for me.
    Same. We barely went through tech and there aren't many concepts to apply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melissadawson)
    I was originally edging towards gender but it's so hard to apply the theories for me
    If you're confident on power, go for it. If you're thinking about gender, have a look at a gender model answer graded A/B and see how they apply the theories?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WeirdlyWonderful)
    If you're confident on power, go for it. If you're thinking about gender, have a look at a gender model answer graded A/B and see how they apply the theories?
    Yeah that's a good idea actually

ReputationRep:
    technology, fewer people do it and those who do have got better marks in the past

ReputationRep:
    I was going towards gender but they can always throw in a mens vitamin website extract like they've done once
    I sat this exam last year and chose that question due to time constraints. I'm resitting the exam this year.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    THAT EXAM SUCKED

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattH2580)
    I sat this exam last year and chose that question due to time constraints. I'm resitting the exam this year.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    THAT EXAM SUCKED
    What did you choose?

ReputationRep:
    I took this exam today, how did everyone find it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamCr)
    I took this exam today, how did everyone find it?
    I found the Gender text to be easy to be honest, managed to write a lot on it and link to theories so fingers crossed.

ReputationRep:
    I found the Gender text to be easy to be honest, managed to write a lot on it and link to theories so fingers crossed.

Ah I did power, found it alright but I would have preferred an advert/legal document or something. How did you find grouping texts? And what grade are you hoping for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamCr)
    Ah I did power, found it alright but I would have preferred an advert/legal document or something. How did you find grouping texts? And what grade are you hoping for?
    I'm better at the theories part of the course than the grouping but I found the groupings to actually be alright. I did Spoken, Persuasive Purpose and Pragmatics - spoken and persuasive had a lot more detail however. I'm aiming for a B since English is the subject I chose just to fill the fourth AS. What about you?

ReputationRep:
    I'm better at the theories part of the course than the grouping but I found the groupings to actually be alright. I did Spoken, Persuasive Purpose and Pragmatics - spoken and persuasive had a lot more detail however. I'm aiming for a B since English is the subject I chose just to fill the fourth AS. What about you?

Me too usually, but for some reason I felt as though I did better in the groupings for once. Ideally an A, I did spoken, niche audiences and register.

ReputationRep:
    I did this exam as a resit, got a D last year doing language and gender - the male vitamin product completely threw me! Did power this time to here's hoping for a better grade!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 15, 2014
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.