The Student Room Group

OCR Advanced FSMQ: Additional Mathematics – Summer 2014

Hello!

So, who's taking Add Maths this year (I hope there isn't another thread that I've missed, that would be slightly awkies :s-smilie:)?

How are you guys revising (well, there's only one real thing to learn for the exam and that's the suvat equations; the rest is just technique and that's easy enough, isn't it?), and how are you guys finding the course?

The examination is on Friday 6th June (PM).

So come on in, and hopefully there'll be enough people for a chat!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have already completed it, did it last year in Year 10. I found it really hard to be honest, but all was good - I came out with an A. I basically read the textbook back to front, and did past papers. Even if I had done them, I would redo them. Also look on the internet for extra resources etc. I'm sure you'll do great!

Best wishes,
Reply 2
I'm doing it.
Reply 3
i'm doing it...and im ****ting it.
I'm doing it and I think it'll be alright:rolleyes:
Reply 5
I'm doing it this year too. I try past papers and separate questions on specific topics I'm not comfortable with... tbh it's not really helping. Whenever I try past questions I get so frustrated with them I nearly cry. We did a mock in March and I came out with a D, even though in real GCSE I got an A. It's really annoying and upsetting, no clue how I'm going to handle it.

Good luck to everyone doing it!
Reply 6
Original post by hprynne
I have already completed it, did it last year in Year 10. I found it really hard to be honest, but all was good - I came out with an A. I basically read the textbook back to front, and did past papers. Even if I had done them, I would redo them. Also look on the internet for extra resources etc. I'm sure you'll do great!

Best wishes,

You're really clever for getting an A in year 10
Are we allowed to use logs in the exam?
May seem like a silly question but ocr often penalise working out even if you get the right answer...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by GCSEsitter
Are we allowed to use logs in the exam?
May seem like a silly question but ocr often penalise working out even if you get the right answer...

Posted from TSR Mobile

When would you need to use them? (I know a bit about them but haven't used them in class because I guess we never needed to)
Original post by danconway
When would you need to use them? (I know a bit about them but haven't used them in class because I guess we never needed to)

U don't need them. I taught myself how to do it because it saves time. There have been times when you could have used them in past papers

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by TheMDog
You're really clever for getting an A in year 10

Ahah, thank you! :smile:
But I think it was more hard work than being 'clever'...
Reply 11
How is everyone coping with revision and do you have any tips
cgp guide is useful
I'm not coping... :C I was wondering that if we fail does the grade not appear on our record/certificate? :redface:
Original post by EastGuava
I'm not coping... :C I was wondering that if we fail does the grade not appear on our record/certificate? :redface:

Don't worry, I'm sure you're not going to fail! :smile:
Original post by MrVirtuoso
Don't worry, I'm sure you're not going to fail! :smile:

Ahah, hypothetically speaking... of course...
Original post by EastGuava
Ahah, hypothetically speaking... of course...

Yeah, because it's a free-standing qualification and not a GCSE apparently you don't have to state it on UCAS or application forms or whatever (currently, at least...I've heard rumours that soon that might change but I'm not sure how true that is) :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by gbLDN
cgp guide is useful

What never knew you could get a revision guide? urghh might just fail it
Original post by gcser8
What never knew you could get a revision guide? urghh might just fail it

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Advanced-FSMQ-Additional-Mathematics-Complete/dp/1847622976/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401825802&sr=8-1&keywords=cgp+additional+maths

i'd be even worse at maths if i didnt have it
I did FSMQ last year; ask if you have any questions :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending