History AS Unit 1 Edexcel Watch
- France's failure at dienbienphu meant america had to get involved due to their worries of the domino theory and se asia falling to communism. (monolithic view)
- Did not want to be seen appeasing communism due to mccarthyism and the red scare
- US felt they needed to uphold containment in asia aswell as europe
- US clear backing of diem's decision to break the geneva accords and not hold elections in july 56.
- Kennedy and eisenhowers gradual increase of troops and 'advisors' in MAAG
- Ho chi minhs clear relationships with USSR and PRC meant that the monolithic view became accurate in the late 50's