Help with Privity of contract and Damages??

Watch
und3niable_
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Can anyone help...
I feel really thick because I've finally hit a brick wall with my contract revision and my exam is next week...I'm really confused about the situations in which a third party can claim damages for a breach of contract.

In a situation where C contracts with D to provide something for X, is X unable to sue due to privity of contract? And what is the Albazero exception?

Finally, how is the case of Alfred Mcalpine v Panatown relevant to this at all?
TheDefiniteArticle
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Haven't studied contract in a while so I can't help you on Albazero and Panatown (though I remember them being fairly significant for something or other), but it sounds like you're unaware of the effects of the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act which is incredibly significant for this area.
und3niable_
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
Haven't studied contract in a while so I can't help you on Albazero and Panatown (though I remember them being fairly significant for something or other), but it sounds like you're unaware of the effects of the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act which is incredibly significant for this area.
We're not supposed to cover privity this year unless we take the advanced module so this tiny bit of excess knowledge i/r to damages is frying my brain. Now I'm not looking forward to the second year! I'm aware of the bars to damages and the Rights of Third Parties Act. But in practice such as in the cases I said, I'm not sure how it all ties in together. I feel like I need it broken down into year 8 language..

My lecture slides/notes/help are equally as confusing as each other and I can't find anything conclusive on the web so this is kind of my last resort.
und3niable_
Rep:
?
Can anyone help...? :confused:
TheDefiniteArticle
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Okay, taking a quick look at my notes I think this is the key thing (from the judgment of Lord Diplock at 847):

'In a commercial contract concerning goods where it is in the contemplation of the parties that the proprietary interest in the goods may be transferred to another before any breach causing damage to the goods, an original party to the contract is to be treated as having entered into the contract for the benefit of the other person and may recover the actual loss suffered by that person'.
TheDefiniteArticle
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
And the McAlpine thing essentially seems to be that even under the Albazero exception the promisee may not sue for substantial damages for the benefit of the third party where the third party has obtained the equivalent result in a different way (in that case it seemed to be through a negligent breach of a duty of care).
und3niable_
Rep:
?
Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (145)
42.9%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (39)
11.54%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (28)
8.28%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (72)
21.3%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.06%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (20)
5.92%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise