maths and economics degree

Watch this thread
James1389
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
i would like to study maths and economics at uni and quite like the sound of Warwick and Bristol, however i do not do further maths.

Do you think i would have any chance of being offered as place, even with A*AA in maths, economics and chemistry?

i really enjoy maths and im good at it but i didnt take further maths, i alos enjoy economics but dont like writing essays so would you suggest maybe doing an economics degree and just take the maths modules?
MominK
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
I'm in the same situation ! But I want to do Economics and Maths, any ideas guys?
James1389
Rep:
is there any difference between 'economics and maths' or economics or maths' because my ideal course would be 'economics with maths' but not many unis offer than course!
MominK
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by James1389)
is there any difference between 'economics and maths' or economics or maths' because my ideal course would be 'economics with maths' but not many unis offer than course!
I think with Eco and Maths you achieve a major in economics and a minor in Maths. So the mathematics is far less then if it was Maths and economics. I'm not fully sure on this though.
James1389
Rep:
oh right ok, i thought maths and economics was the same as economics and maths! haha
karo274
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
i would like to study maths and economics at uni and quite like the sound of Warwick and Bristol, however i do not do further maths.

Do you think i would have any chance of being offered as place, even with A*AA in maths, economics and chemistry?

i really enjoy maths and im good at it but i didnt take further maths, i alos enjoy economics but dont like writing essays so would you suggest maybe doing an economics degree and just take the maths modules?
I have applied for Sociology and Economics for the year 2014/15 and to be honest most unis don't ask for further maths, they could ask for C/B at Maths GCSE (if only Economics) or just a grade in maths/further maths A-level (it's either for you not them), however there may be couple of unis that will ask for a specific one. A friend of mine is planning on doing Pure Mathematics in September and she firmed Liverpool - she needs A in Mathematics.

Hope I was of some help
James1389
Rep:
ok thank you, it was very helpful!
Mike_123
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by karo274)
I have applied for Sociology and Economics for the year 2014/15 and to be honest most unis don't ask for further maths, they could ask for C/B at Maths GCSE (if only Economics) or just a grade in maths/further maths A-level (it's either for you not them), however there may be couple of unis that will ask for a specific one. A friend of mine is planning on doing Pure Mathematics in September and she firmed Liverpool - she needs A in Mathematics.

Hope I was of some help
OP is talking about MATHS and Economics, so it would be a lot better if FM was offered.

ok thank you, it was very helpful!
The difference between 'Maths and Economics' and 'Economics and Maths' is zero. The initial may indicate the department it is run by, but the content is the same percentage.

If you look at UCL maths with economics, then they need A*A*A with double star in double maths. LSE maths and economics needs A*AA, but FM is highly recommended. Nottingham and York require only maths.
James1389
Rep:
alright thank you, do you think i should maybe apply for just economics at a top uni and the economics and maths at a lower one?
ZebraWindy
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
alright thank you, do you think i should maybe apply for just economics at a top uni and the economics and maths at a lower one?
That's what I plan on doing. Economics at UCL, Bath and economics and maths at York and maybe somewhere else. A levels in maths, economics and geography
MominK
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
So applying to Bristol for Economics and Maths without a level further Maths is not adviseable? It doesn't specificy the need of a level further Maths in their course.
NikolaT
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by MominK)
So applying to Bristol for Economics and Maths without a level further Maths is not adviseable? It doesn't specificy the need of a level further Maths in their course.
You must have gotten very, very high marks in your maths. Most applicants for Bristol will undoubtedly have Further Maths, and a lot of them at grade A.
Adyanc
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Mike_123)
The difference between 'Maths and Economics' and 'Economics and Maths' is zero. The initial may indicate the department it is run by, but the content is the same percentage.

If you look at UCL maths with economics, then they need A*A*A with double star in double maths. LSE maths and economics needs A*AA, but FM is highly recommended. Nottingham and York require only maths.
Is it AS level maths that’s highly recommended or the full A level?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (38)
26.21%
As I expected (47)
32.41%
Harder (53)
36.55%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
4.83%

Watched Threads