Graduate Medicine entry eg: Imperial College Watch

telomerase
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello,
I registered on this forum once again. I successfully freed myself from the TSR addiction 4 years ago, but now I returned.

I am in a dreadful situation: suddenly I lost my motivation to study

So here I am again.

But now on topic:
I am studying Engineering (IT, ET) with Economics. I will complete this BSc degree in 2015 with good, but probably not very good grades. I will also complete a/an MSc in Medical Systems Engineering at the same time.

Meanwhile I will also have completed a hand full of basic modules regarding biology, chemistry and physiology, especially regarding neurology.

I cannot look back at a road of victory plastered with many great achievements. Besides being member of a debating club and a student#s connection I didn't volunteer in anything. I am quite active politically as an independent, but my views are unpopular in this day and age, too conservative, so I will probably not even mention it in the essay. I have some recognition in sports, but nothing special. Nothing shiny; no gold or silver medals. No bronze either, actually. My only pride is my own company that currently barely sustains itself (it certainly doesn't sustain me) and a 1st place in a robotics competition.

Thing is: I want to apply to a 4-5 year graduate entry medical programme. While any university would work, I somehow feel to gravitate towards Imperial College, London.

There are loads of resources regarding "How are my chances for x" in the undergraduate section... but how is the situation for us academia-veterans?

Medicine is probably as competitive as it always was, even for us. Maybe even especially for us. I do not know. While I am German and also study in Germany, I wish to study in the UK, as the graduate programme in Medicine is shorter than here. Currently time is my most valuable resource.

I am also interested in joint degree programmes; one that combines Medicine and Engineering. Where can I find those? A quick google search yields a result for Stanford University, which is a bit too high level for my humble achievements.

Any input -even if slightly off topic- is very appreciated.

I must admit that I currently feel a bit lost/hopeless. I won't give up, but somehow it feels like I am chasing something that is a bit beyond my grasp.
c2uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I am also interested in joint degree programmes; one that combines Medicine and Engineering. Where can I find those? A quick google search yields a result for Stanford University, which is a bit too high level for my humble achievements.
Medical Engineering?

http://courses.cardiff.ac.uk/undergr...detail/37.html

There might be some postgraduate courses around, but not at Cardiff.
telomerase
Rep:
?
(Original post by c2uk)
Medical Engineering?

http://courses.cardiff.ac.uk/undergr...detail/37.html

There might be some postgraduate courses around, but not at Cardiff.
Thanks for your reply, mate.
I am very interested in Biomedical Engineering (actually I am interested specifically in it). However it does not make me a licensed doctor (or specifically surgeon).

If I'd study Biomedical Engineering or Medical Engineering it would also need to be at doctorate level, as I will already hold a Masters degree in Medical Systems Engineering, which is close enough to it (a bit more engineering than biology, but still of equivalent value).
c2uk
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by telomerase)
Thanks for your reply, mate.
I am very interested in Biomedical Engineering (actually I am interested specifically in it). However it does not make me a licensed doctor (or specifically surgeon).

If I'd study Biomedical Engineering or Medical Engineering it would also need to be at doctorate level, as I will already hold a Masters degree in Medical Systems Engineering, which is close enough to it (a bit more engineering than biology, but still of equivalent value).
You can do a PhD in Medical Engineering, Cardiff had a fully funded available recently and you would've had probably very good chances at getting that, but that won't ever make you a surgeon. If that's what you want to do, then forget medical engineering (or any joint degrees for that matter) and focus on graduate entry medicine.

Actually, if you're interested, that medical engineering PhD is still available:

http://courses.cardiff.ac.uk/funding/R2230.html
telomerase
Rep:
?
(Original post by c2uk)
You can do a PhD in Medical Engineering, Cardiff had a fully funded available recently and you would've had probably very good chances at getting that, but that won't ever make you a surgeon. If that's what you want to do, then forget medical engineering (or any joint degrees for that matter) and focus on graduate entry medicine.

Actually, if you're interested, that medical engineering PhD is still available:

http://courses.cardiff.ac.uk/funding/R2230.html
Thanks for your reply, I will consider doing only the PhD in Medical Engineering. Still have a year to ponder over it.

I think it is more likely that I focus on the graduate entry Medicine courses.

It seems like researching doctors are not wanted nowadays. I can see the reasoning behind it, though.
c2uk
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It seems like researching doctors are not wanted nowadays. I can see the reasoning behind it, though.
Not exactly sure what you're implying here really. Doctors who conduct research are still wanted and needed, plenty of jobs out there at universities and medical research facilities. What has changed though is that nowadays there's a whole team of researchers from various disciplines working together. My wife for example got a PhD in Chemistry and she works together with Biologists, Physicists, Engineers, Pharmacists and proper medical doctors on a wide range of diseases (Alzheimer and Cancer mostly though).
c2uk
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thanks for your reply, I will consider doing only the PhD in Medical Engineering. Still have a year to ponder over it.
Funded PhDs like the one at Cardiff come up all the time, many are posted on jobs.ac.uk of FindAPhD.com - though not always all. So it's worth identifying the universities which have research in this field, like Cardiff and keep an eye out for interesting stuff. And while this one specified a specific starting date, when the right candidate comes along they're sometimes a little bit more flexible.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (162)
58.91%
No I haven't decided yet (66)
24%
Yes but I might change my mind (47)
17.09%

Watched Threads