Kureiji_Riji
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So I'm resitting my English Lit exam on the 16th of May, and I have absolutely no idea still how to structure the texts in context part of the exam. I'm fine with the poetry I think, but I just can't master the technique for that part. I really struggle with finding good wider reading links, especially since it's 50/50 on wider reading and the non-fiction extract they give you. I know you link f/s/l but does anyone have any good tips on how to write an actual essay? I'm still not getting good enough grades for that part :/ I think I just feature spotted last year and panicked with the extract given.

Thank you!!!

(It's Eng Lit Specification A: Struggle for identity in modern literature by the way.)
hdaindak
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
i am exactly the same am resitting too. just can't write the essays!
Kureiji_Riji
Rep:
?
I'm OK I think with the poetry part, I'm going to do some practice papers this weekend and if I still can't get it right then I don't even know.
JemimaB
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ok, you need to be able to link the extract to three bits of wider reading, supported by quotes. You need a play, a poem and prose. Find links via context. Struggle for Identity could be through sexuality or upbringing. basically wider reading is needed to show you've put work in. I advise the wasp factory, Top Girls and maybe Mrs Faust (Duffy)
Kureiji_Riji
Rep:
?
I know what to do for the questions and what I need, I have all my wider reading texts and the struggles. I just struggle with the technique and not forcing a link in. My friend managed to do her exam last year with quotes she'd prepared and linked it and got an A, even though you shouldn't really do that. I have a range of things to use, it's just making the best link and trying not to make it look forced. That's where I went wrong last year, I panicked.
hdaindak
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm so so confused about the exam questions apparently they're divided into genre style theme and character. Does anyone know about this.:confused:
SamCr
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Kureiji_Riji)
I know what to do for the questions and what I need, I have all my wider reading texts and the struggles. I just struggle with the technique and not forcing a link in. My friend managed to do her exam last year with quotes she'd prepared and linked it and got an A, even though you shouldn't really do that. I have a range of things to use, it's just making the best link and trying not to make it look forced. That's where I went wrong last year, I panicked.

I took this exam last year and got a high A so I might be of some assistance. What do you usually link by? I might be able to help you from there.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

New lockdown - Do you agree schools and universities should remain open?

Yes (50)
37.31%
No (70)
52.24%
I don't know (14)
10.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise