The Student Room Group

How binding is firming an offer?

I hold an offer from Exeter, but I'm also applying to universities all over Europe. Their decisions come out at different points in June/July whereas the deadline for firming UCAS offers is tomorrow. I can't turn down Exeter, but if I were to get into any other uni I've applied to abroad, I'd rather go there.

If I were to firm Exeter, but then decide to go somewhere else, would I have to face any legal problems? I may want to apply again next year, and so I'd hate it if my decision were to conclude in a UCAS blacklist. Does anyone know anything about the legal details of this situation? I'd be much obliged.
well I just swapped my choices around yesterday by phoning up the unis and ucas. Could probably just do that. The admissions people seem pretty chill about it.
Your offer through UCAS is only binding in terms of universities using UCAS.

You can hold and accept offers at non-UCAS universities alongside a CF/UF offer through UCAS.

It is generally good manners to let your firm know as soon as possible if you're not going to go (best is by August so that they can offer your place to someone else) but even if you don't universities and UCAS don't bother with things like "blacklists" for people who don't take their places.
People do decide not to go to university after accepting a firm choice all the time. Sometimes personal circumstances change, or like in your case, they get a better offer from a university abroad. Due to this, universities accept some people will firm their offer, but not start the course in September, and there are no legal problems with declining this.

As PQ says, it would be good if you could make a decision before results day in August, as this will enable the university to offer your space to someone else more easily.

As so many students apply for university every year, UCAS doesn't bother with anything like a blacklist.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending