St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
thanks for the list :smile:
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
ace list! some questions...
ballgowns...? evening wear? i have *that black dress* will i need it?

passport photos; MUST they be passport ones, [as mine looks like a mug shot of an anorexic russian ballerina on heroine plus i don't look like i'm wearing anything...]

desk lamps...aren't there any? [in shared accom]

gah im gonna be the one who turns up with nothing!
Reply 22
Just passing it on...think I got it on here originally. :-) Ball gowns are almost certainly necessary. You might well need them at least once or twice a semester...e.g. your hall ball, opening ball, christmas ball, may ball and the ones for the societies and academic departments. Not everybody goes to opening/christmas/may ball...I haven't and was kinda glad I saved money but many people do go and most seem to have fun. I'd recommend having one formal dress (or at least a nice skirt and top) and one ballgown.
Pretty sure you need a passport sized photo for your matric. card...one you are happy enough to have there for the next 4/5 years. :-)
Desk lamps...where I lived in JBH there was a lamp on the desk but not my bedside cupboard so I bought a cheap one at woolworths and an extension lead. Probably varies between halls. I suppose room insurance wld be useful but mine was covered by my parent's insurance policy so don't know.
Reply 23
ballgowns...? evening wear? i have *that black dress* will i need it?

I didn't go to the opening ball because none of the people I knew were going and I felt like I kinda missed out. You'll definitely need a *formal* dress/ top and skirt... doesn't have to be an actual ballgown, but does have to look like you'll fit in amongst dress kilts etc. Also a tip - most balls in Scotland (read: all balls in Scotland) have a ceilidh (Scottish dancing). They're very fun, very energetic, they teach you the moves... but you'll definitely need a dress and shoes that you can dance in.

passport photos; MUST they be passport ones, [as mine looks like a mug shot of an anorexic russian ballerina on heroine plus i don't look like i'm wearing anything...]

They do have to be full face shots for ID cards etc. So if you don't like yours, get some new ones done. :wink:

desk lamps...aren't there any? [in shared accom]

There was a bedside lamp in my room which I could have used as a desklamp... I dunno about shared acom.

Latest

Trending

Trending