69.16%
GCSE (33)
30.84%
Budgie99
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
OK, so I'm doing edexcel IGCSE's cause I'm homeducated. My friend at school is doing GCSE's and she was at my house.

We were comparing exam papers and hers were easier but I think it's because she has to do practicals while I actually have to be able to describe experiments because I have no teacher.

Which exams are harder and why?
Jake97
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
undoubtedly IGCSE, they incorporate AS level topics into it, i did them
georgebeer
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
IGCSE's are designed to be more challenging, so they're pretty much just quite a bit harder
German123
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Budgie99)
OK, so I'm doing edexcel IGCSE's cause I'm homeducated. My friend at school is doing GCSE's and she was at my house. She was looking through my past papers and she was saying that her exam past papers are never as hard as mine and she didn't know how I would do it.

We were comparing exam papers and hers were much easier but I think it's because she has to do practicals while I actually have to be able to describe experiments because I have no teacher.

Which exams are harder and why? Also, is this why school kids have 10 exams all at the same time and still manage to get high grades?

(I started at 13 and spread mine out between every six months)

No exam board is "easier" than the other as they are practically the same.
AppleBlossoms
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
OK, so I'm doing edexcel IGCSE's cause I'm homeducated. My friend at school is doing GCSE's and she was at my house. She was looking through my past papers and she was saying that her exam past papers are never as hard as mine and she didn't know how I would do it.

We were comparing exam papers and hers were much easier but I think it's because she has to do practicals while I actually have to be able to describe experiments because I have no teacher.

Which exams are harder and why? Also, is this why school kids have 10 exams all at the same time and still manage to get high grades?

I'm homeschooled as well *high five* I'm doing igcses this month and I think they are much harder because there's no coursework element, it's all exam based
georgebeer
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by German123)
No exam board is "easier" than the other as they are practically the same.
you taking the mick? it is soo much harder
Budgie99
Rep:
?
(Original post by AppleBlossoms)
I'm homeschooled as well *high five* I'm doing igcses this month and I think they are much harder because there's no coursework element, it's all exam based
Finally!!!!!!!!
a fellow homeschooler!
AppleBlossoms
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Lol I know right! What igcses will you be doing?
Andrewlowe97
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
IGCSE is a harder exam board throughout most subjects. Thank god I only have to do ICT with their exam board

Posted from TSR Mobile
TheTechN1304
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
At my school we do a mixture or IGCSE/GCSE and when I did mine last summer I did 8 IGCSE (3scienes,maths eng lang/lit, german, ict) and 3 GCSE (geog, japanese, italian)

Although I didn't find the IGCSES "difficult" they're definitely harder than normal gcse papers. The languages in particular have a MUCH easier layout and they were pretty much a walk in the park. What makes the IGCSE harder (especially with sciences) is the fact that everything is linear and exam based (ie. you take the exams at the end of two years rather than separate modules). I didn't find them that difficult though, and in fact, did worse in my geography gcse split into 2 modules across 2 years (A) than I did in all my IGCSEs!!!
Budgie99
Rep:
?

English-done jan 2013

Arabic-done-june 2013
religious studies-done june 2013

Biology-done jan 2014

Human Biology-this june
Global citizenship-this june

Maths-june 2015
Chemistry-june 2015

Plus I'm doing Arabic A-level this June but I don't think I'm gonna get very good marks

I'mstarting college september 2015-i'll be 16 by then

What about you?
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Some IGCSEs might be marginally more difficult than their GCSE equivalents, but it's totally irrelevant since Universities look at them in exactly the same way. 10 GCSE A*s look just as good as 10 IGCSE A*s - don't kid yourself into thinking that you've got an advantage by taking IGCSEs. I do get the impression that there's a certain degree of arrogance by people taking IGCSEs and IB because they're allegedly more rigorous, but this arrogance is completely unfounded since in the eyes of Universities - which is what these qualifications are made for - they are all completely equal.
Budgie99
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chlorophile)
Some IGCSEs might be marginally more difficult than their GCSE equivalents, but it's totally irrelevant since Universities look at them in exactly the same way. 10 GCSE A*s look just as good as 10 IGCSE A*s - don't kid yourself into thinking that you've got an advantage by taking IGCSEs.

Thanks for the advice!

(I'm taking igcse's because I'm homeschooled, not for an advantage or anything)
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thanks for the advice!

(I'm taking igcse's because I'm homeschooled, not for an advantage or anything)
That's fine, I wasn't pointing a finger at you. I was alluding to certain individuals on TSR...
westies
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm home ed too! Its tough not knowing what to expect and being so reliant on correspondence course. Did human biology today and feel the course I studied didn't seem to have all the relevant details needed for exam!! The questions were a bit peculiar and the diagrams?? Maybe I'm paranoid! or maybe I've seriously messed up!
YAPC
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Hey people, just added a poll!!!!
Hello. The difficulty of the exam papers depend on the exam board and whether if it is IGCSE or GCSE. Some exam boards will be harder for you, and some easier. IGCSEs are harder because it is the same as GCSEs, but you have to learn a bit more. Overall, it is more respected though.
LiviL97
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm taking igcses and yes they are hard. I am cramming for 5 subjects in a week! First exam is chemistry may 13 hehe

Posted from TSR Mobile
EastGuava
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by YAPC)
Hello. The difficulty of the exam papers depend on the exam board and whether if it is IGCSE or GCSE. Some exam boards will be harder for you, and some easier. IGCSEs are harder because it is the same as GCSEs, but you have to learn a bit more. Overall, it is more respected though.
By who?
a-spiringmedic
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'd say IGCSE is harder in maths, but not in the sciences. IGCSE science papers are incredibly easy compared to the other papers.

Idk, maybe its just me and i'm naturally good at science (much doubt)

IGCSE is more respected though x
amongsttheweeds
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by EastGuava)
By who?
By 14 year olds perhaps? :mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (18)
28.13%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (5)
7.81%
No I am happy with my choice (37)
57.81%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (4)
6.25%

Watched Threads