The Student Room Group

is IGCSE harder than GCSE?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by a-spiringmedic
I'd say IGCSE is harder in maths, but not in the sciences. IGCSE science papers are incredibly easy compared to the other papers.

Idk, maybe its just me and i'm naturally good at science (much doubt)

IGCSE is more respected though x

No, it's not more respected. IGCSE and GCSE are exactly the same in the eyes of employers and universities. If somebody doing GCSEs gets 10A*, and somebody doing IGCSE ges 7A*s, employers/universities won't go 'oh, IGCSEs are harder, so obviously it was harder for that kid to get his 7A*s'. No, they'll go for the kid with the better grades, regardless of what qualification it is.
Original post by Budgie99
English-done jan 2013

Arabic-done-june 2013
religious studies-done june 2013

Biology-done jan 2014

Human Biology-this june
Global citizenship-this june

Maths-june 2015
Chemistry-june 2015

Plus I'm doing Arabic A-level this June but I don't think I'm gonna get very good marks:s-smilie:

I'mstarting college september 2015-i'll be 16 by then

What about you?

I've already done French (June 2013), English Language (June 2013) and maths (this January!). This may I'm doing human biology, geography, double award science and English Literature. Did you do the human biology paper yesterday? What did you think of it?

Original post by westies
I'm home ed too! Its tough not knowing what to expect and being so reliant on correspondence course. Did human biology today and feel the course I studied didn't seem to have all the relevant details needed for exam!! The questions were a bit peculiar and the diagrams?? Maybe I'm paranoid! or maybe I've seriously messed up!

I thought there was more about the environment then actual human biology! Did you get how to do the graph question?
Reply 22
Original post by AppleBlossoms
I've already done French (June 2013), English Language (June 2013) and maths (this January!). This may I'm doing human biology, geography, double award science and English Literature. Did you do the human biology paper yesterday? What did you think of it?

It was ok, not easy but it wasn't impossible:tongue:
Reply 23
Original post by Budgie99
OK, so I'm doing edexcel IGCSE's cause I'm homeducated. My friend at school is doing GCSE's and she was at my house.

We were comparing exam papers and hers were easier but I think it's because she has to do practicals while I actually have to be able to describe experiments because I have no teacher.

Which exams are harder and why?

im doing IGCSE :biggrin: private schools do IGCSE state schools do GCSE
Original post by wutt
im doing IGCSE :biggrin: private schools do IGCSE state schools do GCSE

Incorrect. I go to a state grammar and we do some IGCSEs
Reply 25
Original post by thechemistress
Incorrect. I go to a state grammar and we do some IGCSEs

"state"
Original post by wutt
"state"

Yes, a grammar school is a state school. And I have a few friends at other state schools that are doing IGCSE. And I have friends at private schools who aren't doing IGCSE. So you're wrong, basically.
Reply 27
Yes, a grammar school is a state school. And I have a few friends at other state schools that are doing IGCSE. And I have friends at private schools who aren't doing IGCSE. So you're wrong, basically.

chill...idc it's just a board, life doesn't revolve around grades, i could fail my GCSE next week and still take over my dad's company do i carrrreee abouuut these exams no.
I'm doing the Cambridge English Language IGCSE. I've pretty much got full marks in all the coursework (60%) as has everyone else in my class. Everyone says it's really easy. We have the exam tomorrow (40%) which has low grade boundaries. I'd probably need about 70% for an A*.
So I don't think all the IGCSEs are hard, it depends on the board I think.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by CentricWinter
I'm doing the Cambridge English Language IGCSE. I've pretty much got full marks in all the coursework (60%) as has everyone else in my class. Everyone says it's really easy. We have the exam tomorrow (40%) which has low grade boundaries. I'd probably need about 70% for an A*.
So I don't think all the IGCSEs are hard, it depends on the board I think.

Ohh, same here :biggrin: Got the same exam tomorrow :biggrin:
Though I haven't got full marks in my coursework- I've got 49/50 for the 3 writing pieces and 29/30 for the speaking and listening. So one off full marks each time :frown:

How are you preparing for it, if at all? xD
Ohh, same here :biggrin: Got the same exam tomorrow :biggrin:
Though I haven't got full marks in my coursework- I've got 49/50 for the 3 writing pieces and 29/30 for the speaking and listening. So one off full marks each time :frown:

How are you preparing for it, if at all? xD

Shiiitttt, I didn't say FULL marks. Mine are probably a bit lower than that xD
I'm gonna read some examiners reports and look at some model answers. Apart from that, it's not really one you can revise.
Reply 31
This sort of thread has been made multiple times already and I've posted the same thing over and over but again..

I'm taking CIE IGCSE.

Maths: I find CIE IGCSE maths silghtly harder than Edexcel or AQA, especially CIE IGCSE Paper 4 is harder than the equivalents in Edexcel or AQA (I've checked a couple of papers online)

English: I've never really checked other boards' papers so I can't comment on this but I hear rumours saying IGCSE is easier in English

French: CIE IGCSE French is definitely harder than GCSE French. We have continuous writing paper and we have to do three 140 words writing without using dictionary (Idk if these exist in GCSEs but I don't seem to find them)

Science: IGCSE is more detailed. We had normal GCSE science books but they were not detailed enough so we had to buy new set of books specifically made for IGCSE

History: My teacher says CIE IGCSE History is very hard and my teacher's friend who is also a teacher, had to change to Edexcel History from CIE IGCSE because students did very badly with CIE.

Geography: I don't know about difficulty honestly, but I do know that IGCSE Geography is more international (for obvious reasons). We don't need to know the Geography of Britain as it is International GCSE, and for mapwork paper we get a random island from Caribbean etc.
Original post by Sheldor
Look on the website for, say, any edexcel igcse. It stipulates that UK state schools aren't allowed to sit them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Two types of IGCSE- Edexcel isn't the only one you know :rolleyes:
CIE also do IGCSE
Original post by Sheldor
I know, I was giving an example. Hence the term "say", I was typing as one would speak when giving an example. I am aware of the multitude of other exam boards.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Then how was that relevant? My point still stands, his general statement of state schools being unable to take IGCSEs was still incorrect. I don't see why you felt you needed to give an example.
Reply 34
Original post by EastGuava
By who?

Many UK private schools choose to do them rather than GCSEs as they consider them a better preparation for A Levels. Some colleges prefer it over GCSEs. It is more respected for some universities and employers.

However, most universities see them as equivalent.
Reply 35
I've noticed that my school recently swapped from gcse to igcse for sciences since they are harder but the intention was to help reduce the gap between AS sciences and gcse.

It's funny to think that people think employers overly care at gcses vs igcse. Who cares about those mediocre qualifications, when a levels, degree, training certificates, interview skills, experience are available. Them people need a slight reality check.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by YAPC
Many UK private schools choose to do them rather than GCSEs as they consider them a better preparation for A Levels. Some colleges prefer it over GCSEs. It is more respected for some universities and employers.

However, most universities see them as equivalent.

They might be a better preparation for A-levels if they're harder, sure, but I don't see how that makes them more respected. And uh, employers actually consider your GCSEs? nowai :O
No, it's not more respected. IGCSE and GCSE are exactly the same in the eyes of employers and universities. If somebody doing GCSEs gets 10A*, and somebody doing IGCSE ges 7A*s, employers/universities won't go 'oh, IGCSEs are harder, so obviously it was harder for that kid to get his 7A*s'. No, they'll go for the kid with the better grades, regardless of what qualification it is.

Well our teachers have told us it is more respected and the fact that mainly private schools do it shows you have come from a better environment which helps university applications.

P.s. When universities state that 'the background you come from does not matter' it does. My uncle works on the admissions board for Oxford, and they take in account whether the applicant has gone to a private school or not as private school applicants are usually better mannered and have better morals.
Well our teachers have told us it is more respected and the fact that mainly private schools do it shows you have come from a better environment which helps university applications.

P.s. When universities state that 'the background you come from does not matter' it does. My uncle works on the admissions board for Oxford, and they take in account whether the applicant has gone to a private school or not as private school applicants are usually better mannered and have better morals.

Wow. You have no idea, do you? XD I don't even go to a comprehensive (grammar schooler), I'm moving to a private school next year, but you do realise that going to a private school can work against you, right? If you are predicted AAA for A2 and another person from a lower achieving school comes with the same grades (and you are identical in many other ways), then the comprehensive school student will be more likely to get the place due to the grade difference between the average grade in their school and their grades. It's common sense.

Private school students have 'better morals'. Okay, that's where I call rubbish. No, they do not. Furthermore, what your uncle has said doesn't ring true. I've lived in Oxford for a large proportion of my life and therefore know a lot of Oxford admission tutors and lecturers. None of then have ever said what your uncle said. Ever. My best friend's father is an admissions tutor and he said that yes, they do look at your background, but in the opposite way to what you just described. As I explained above, going to a comprehensive school and excelling will mean that you're more likely to get a place. Why do you think that so many people leave their private schools to go to state school. They're effective strategists, of course.

It seems like you've been fed a bunch of lies all your life, or you're just deluded. Either way, you fit right into the snobby private schooler stereotype. Private schoolers have 'better morals'.

Lol, do you happen to attend a private school? ;D

Quick Reply

Latest