The Student Room Group

FA to discuss inclusion of B Teams to the Football League.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27289819

Terrible idea in my opinion and if they have any sense it'll be dismissed instantly. Our league pyramid is an envy of the football world, and mess with that at your peril tbh. France, Germany etc only get away with B teams in the lower leagues as they don't have enough clubs for more than one or two quality leagues. I think I'm right in saying that League One gets higher attendances than any 2nd tier in the World, and League Two isn't far behind either.

Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If England want top-tier domestic talent, this will help.

There's a reason Spain/Germany/France produce so much talent, and B-teams are a major factor.
Not a bad plan, though I think closer ties between Premiership and League teams in terms of player transfer, financial aid, access to facilities and staff would be better. It'd be awesome to see the big teams working with smaller teams in order to improve the quality of the game.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Reply 3
Terrible idea. Will kill lower league football attendances even more and worsen competition levels.
Reply 4
I understand the idea. It seems to help youth play more competitive football which aids the first teams & national side.

However the issue will be for fans for the lower clubs. If i were an Exeter fan, i would find it utter crap to have to watch my side play against a B team, at a tiny little ground.
Reply 5
Great idea imo, been long in the offing. What a strange day for football. Two very pragmatic and reasonable decision.

Original post by scriggy
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27289819

Terrible idea in my opinion and if they have any sense it'll be dismissed instantly. Our league pyramid is an envy of the football world, and mess with that at your peril tbh. France, Germany etc only get away with B teams in the lower leagues as they don't have enough clubs for more than one or two quality leagues. I think I'm right in saying that League One gets higher attendances than any 2nd tier in the World, and League Two isn't far behind either.

Thoughts?

It doesn't really mess with the league system much though. There isn't really much difference between conference teams and league 2 side quality wise and merging them won't really mess anything up.
I wonder what the excuse will be when this doesn't improve our national team/youth talent one iota.
Reply 7
Original post by Jkizer
I understand the idea. It seems to help youth play more competitive football which aids the first teams & national side.

However the issue will be for fans for the lower clubs. If i were an Exeter fan, i would find it utter crap to have to watch my side play against a B team, at a tiny little ground.

I'm not too sure. Fans could also see it as a chance to get one over the big teams. I bet if this starts, more Exeter fans will go to watch their side against Arsenal B than Mansfield.
Absolutely awful idea, this will completely decimate lower league football. Just another example of the people at the top only looking out for themselves, with no regard what so ever for the rest of the league pyramid. There are 92 teams in the football league, and this proposal won't even benefit 10% of them.

You cannot compare what happens in other countries because our league system is unique. The Championship is watched by more people than Serie A and Ligue One, even League Two has a higher aggregate attendance than the top divisions in Belgium, Portugal and Scotland. If you just fill it with Manchester United B, Chelsea B etc you would kill any element of competition.
Reply 9
Original post by 419
Great idea imo, been long in the offing. What a strange day for football. Two very pragmatic and reasonable decision.

It doesn't really mess with the league system much though. There isn't really much difference between conference teams and league 2 side quality wise and merging them won't really mess anything up.

I disagree, I think it messes with it hugely. You're forcing good traditional clubs to play against reserve sides for no good reason. Also it ruins the integrity of the whole 'pyramid' if you just shoehorn in 20 B teams above clubs who've earned the right over decades to be where they are. What are the likes of Bristol Rovers going to think when they suddenly find themselves way down the pecking order. It would be effectively relegating them again.
Reply 10
Original post by mikeyd85
Not a bad plan, though I think closer ties between Premiership and League teams in terms of player transfer, financial aid, access to facilities and staff would be better. It'd be awesome to see the big teams working with smaller teams in order to improve the quality of the game.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

This is the way forward, no doubt. Greater redistribution of the wealth at the top, with the big boys putting an arm around their local lower league teams.
Original post by scriggy
This is the way forward, no doubt. Greater redistribution of the wealth at the top, with the big boys putting an arm around their local lower league teams.

Exactly. You always see towns "twinned" with other places, so why not have Bury "twinned with Manchester United" FC for example.
Reply 12
I think it's a great idea so long as their promotion is capped below League 1 or something (I didn't check the details in the link you posted).
Anyone who thinks this is a good idea has no clue about lower league football. Clubs want to play other real clubs, not Chelsea B
Original post by llys
I think it's a great idea so long as their promotion is capped below League 1 or something (I didn't check the details in the link you posted).

Most of the players that a 'B' team would be aimed at already play at a higher standard than League One. They are on loan to Championship clubs, foreign clubs, or in rare cases another Premier League team. So they would be playing at an inferior level.

A situation like you described would just end up like the SPL.
Reply 15
Original post by sr90
Most of the players that a 'B' team would be aimed at already play at a higher standard than League One. They are on loan to Championship clubs, foreign clubs, or in rare cases another Premier League team. So they would be playing at an inferior level.

A situation like you described would just end up like the SPL.

Yep. And then you'd get the real clubs being promoted from 9th or 10th place and the whole thing would become a farce.

I really don't understand what they are hoping this will achieve. We have strongly competitive lower standard leagues already, utilise the clubs down there more to bring through the talent. There's no need for B teams at all.
Reply 16
Original post by sr90

Maybe, but the best players go out on loan, right? So those who stay behind are actually at a lower level. I don't know if B-teams are the best solution but I just don't think the U23 "league" is any good.
Anyone who cares about football should be against this. This will not improve England in any way, B teams are necessary in Spain because very few teams have a good enough youth team to make it comparative for the likes of Barcelona and the Madrids to be in a youth league. This is not the case in England, most premier league and championship outfits have a decent youth setup so the players can compete properly to further their skills. You only need to look at how many international players in other countries come from an English youth setup to see it works.

As a Southend fan we get premier league loanees and the foreign ones are almost always better than their English counterparts. The foreign players are in the exact same youth setup to the English players so why do they not need a B team but our English players do?

If the FA approves this plan then the B teams will be booed everytime they play, and because fans of Chelsea or whoever won't bother supporting the B team they will end up with no support and just a barrage of hate coming down on them because B teams would destroy league football and league fans will not stand for it, noone wins in this situation.
B teams seem completely unneccessary when we already have the new professional development league which is split into two tiers (Barclays U21 Premier and whatever the other ones called) and there's levels for U21 and U18.

Why add B teams to the football league system? They're not going to play any more quality or attract any more fans than they will in the current system. The U21 Premier division plays a higher standard of football than Football League 1 or 2.
Rubbish idea.

Quick Reply

Latest