This discussion is closed.
kindersurprise
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I do understand what u mean tho.
All the arrogance where i live, i suppose its just cuz im in wilmslow where Alex Fergusson lives and all his friends lol
xox
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I'm willing to bet that no one ever has and no one ever will use the "C" word here. I know I won't
kindersurprise
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Love the avatar Zapsta
xox
deary_ma_leary
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i have no problems with swearing. i swear most of the time but not to offend anyone, i just feel they're often more descriptive of your feelings. I have to say, i do have a problem with the c word and i dont know if thats a personal problem or if it's becvause i've 'learnt' to have a problem with it. i think it's just a harsher word.
Aeris
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I didn't pick any of the options on the poll. I don't like swearing, but sometimes I think people have earned the right to call someone an ass. I believe you all say arse. It's all about the beauty of the language. If you use the F* word too much it's just dull and boring and you come off as a moron. However if you can call someone an idiot in 20 different ways without cursing and then say, "What I mean is F*ck off A**HOLE!" that's pretty funny. Well it is to me anyway.
deary_ma_leary
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ArisGreenleaf)
I didn't pick any of the options on the poll. I don't like swearing, but sometimes I think people have earned the right to call someone an ass. I believe you all say arse. It's all about the beauty of the language. If you use the F* word too much it's just dull and boring and you come off as a moron. However if you can call someone an idiot in 20 different ways without cursing and then say, "What I mean is F*ck off A**HOLE!" that's pretty funny. Well it is to me anyway.
i think when you're having a go at someone then more sophisticated insults are definitely harsher (not that swearing can' be incorporated effectively). i think it depends on the person and the situation. some people can't carry off casual swearing i think
Aeris
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by deary_ma_leary)
i think when you're having a go at someone then more sophisticated insults are definitely harsher (not that swearing can' be incorporated effectively). i think it depends on the person and the situation. some people can't carry off casual swearing i think

Agreed. I personally sound terrible when I try to curse casually.
Dill
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i also sound silly if i swear casually. hmm...
i don't think it would sound too good if people just wandered round the streets swearing, but I really don't have a problem with people who swear sometimes, just saying f*cking in every other sentence is quite annoying. what also annoys me is when you get little kids who know lots of swear words and use them lots 'cause they have probably been under the influence of their parents. i personally think that's gross. i HATE the c word! arghhhhh yuck yuck, even when it's typed it's so not nice.
*Joanna*
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I don't mind if people swear when something goes wrong, eg you drop a brick on your foot or the computer crashes and you've not saved a ten page essay. But I hate it when people just swear for no reason. I used to sit behind some people on the bus and EVERYTHING was effin this and effin that, even in normal sentences! That really did my head in. And I hate it when little kids swear too, I used to think 'shut up' was swearing when I was five....oh dear, how naive. I never ever swear in front of my parents, I don't dare!
chidori
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Did anyone see 2DTV yesterday when Ozzy Osbource was playing Scrabble and struggled to find a letter to complete '....ucking' and 'f_ck'? Lol, he was saying 'F*ck' and all these swear words in frustration and couldn't do it.
deary_ma_leary
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by *Joanna*)
I used to think 'shut up' was swearing when I was five....oh dear, how naive. I never ever swear in front of my parents, I don't dare!
i know! my parents taught my sister and i that shut up and stupid were swear words. crazy thing is-my mum still shouts at us if we tell someone to shut up. (however i saw nothing worse in front of them)
Amb1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
Erm "do you want some **** in your tea" now that dosn't sound like sugar to me
One lump or two??
Everdawn
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I dont like to swear, so Ill only do it if something goes wrong or if i hit my toe on a chair or something. What i really hate is seeing young women and every second word is f this and f-that. I mean, the guys i hang with swear, than we know they are talking about cars.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I swear far more than I like to admit...although I don't bother so much when I'm writing/typing.

Personally I only find any swearword offensive if it's accompanied by malice or ignorance.

I do adapt my language to the people around me - but then that's just basic good manners.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
I swear far more than I like to admit...although I don't bother so much when I'm writing/typing.

Personally I only find any swearword offensive if it's accompanied by malice or ignorance.

I do adapt my language to the people around me - but then that's just basic good manners.
So in other words: If others are swearing, then you adopt this as well when talking to them?
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by bono)
So in other words: If others are swearing, then you adopt this as well when talking to them?
More like if others *aren't* swearing I will make an effort to not offend them (and will studiously avoid the F and C words).

My language is will always have a genourous smattering of buggers and arse.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
More like if others *aren't* swearing I will make an effort to not offend them (and will studiously avoid the F and C words).

My language is will always have a genourous smattering of buggers and arse.
Ohhh, you count those as swear words? I thought we meant proper swear words like the F word, B Word, C word etc.
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
a genourous smattering of buggers and arse.
lol that made me chuckle

a smattering of arse. sounds very poetic.
Aeris
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by chidori)
Did anyone see 2DTV yesterday when Ozzy Osbource was playing Scrabble and struggled to find a letter to complete '....ucking' and 'f_ck'? Lol, he was saying 'F*ck' and all these swear words in frustration and couldn't do it.

I watch the Osbournes every now and then. It's so funny when Ozzy swears because he's so old and it's hard to tell what he's saying anyway. Oh, well maybe it's a little harder for me to understand him through his English accent But he's sooooo freaking hilarious. Every other word he uses is a swear word.

Bad influence on the kids! Very inappropriate show!!!
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by bono)
Ohhh, you count those as swear words? I thought we meant proper swear words like the F word, B Word, C word etc.
I would never use bugger in front of my grandma - and arse is even worse. They're not words I'd avoid using generally but they are words that some people find offensive (more so arse than bugger - but then some americans are offended by the word damn :confused: ) that I use far too frequently to give up.

FB and C words are all frequently used at home and amongst contempories but avoided with older people (although I swear more in front of my in laws than I do in front of my parents - but I'll still refrain from F on all but the most extreme occassions and C doesn't get a look in at all - the in laws are exposed to a fair amounts of ****s etc).

But I do prefer arse bugger and pants...in fact without arse bugger pants and cool I'd not really say much at all :rolleyes:
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (294)
46.15%
No (74)
11.62%
I'm not old enough (269)
42.23%

Watched Threads