The Student Room Group

Why do illegal immigrants try to come to the UK from France?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Old_Simon
It is our benefit system that is the big draw, including housing, education and NHS.

This has proven to be a lie.

french officials have been caught buying them tickets here because they don't want illegal immigrant third worlders in their country and want to keep their country safe.

The rest of the EU sees Britain as a dumping ground for unwanted people.

We are certainly more tolerant to having our country invaded than the rest of the EU though.
(edited 9 years ago)
Because white countries aren't allowed to have borders while everywhere else is. Racism that's used purely as a psy-op against white people when multiculturalism is making us foreigners in our own homeland.How is that not racist?Thankfully progress is being made in France and liberation of white French people is in our grasp.
Reply 22
Original post by McMurdo
This is true. Even in sweden people culturally do not accept immigration well. The London riots were a good example of how PC we are here. During the sweden riots of 2013, hundreds of nationalists skinheads went out and attacked the rioting immigrants with weapons.

Immigrants know the UK has a very soft hand compared to many other places, in virtually every way. So it's sort of understandable why they'd choose to come here :tongue:

Huh. Why would you assume the rioters in London weren't immigrants?:confused:
Illegal immigrants should be arrested and deported. Why aren't they? Countries like Israel do it.
Reply 24
Because we're a soft touch

Posted from TSR Mobile
Money
Work
Family
Healthcare

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Err, I really haven't got a clue.

It must be nothing at all to do with the fact we are an international laughing stock who roll over and do nothing vaguely substantial about securing our borders. Nothing at all to do with the benign appeasement policy of instant housing benefits and cuddly welfare state.

The French must love the way Britain helps to make Calais such a lovely town to live in and the truck drivers must be so happy without a care in the world when they drive through Calais towards the port.
As a daughter of African immigrants who moved to Italy about 30 years ago and to England 3 years ago, as a result of my father's job moving over here, I have in contact with many people who are seeking for a better chance in life. I personally know people who have come from Africa on makeshift boats and landed in Lampedusa, Sicily and then made their way to England from France and the common reason they have is racism in mainland Europe. There is the common view, which might or might not be misguided, that England is more tolerant of different people because they have been in contact with them and accepted them for longer than other European countries. Most of them are not even aware of benefits and do not care too much about that because their aim is to make as much money as possible to help out back at home. Make money they can be proud of because they can call it theirs and rightfully so, because they worked for all of it. Now this is what I have observed from people I know from west Africa.
(edited 9 years ago)
More tolerance also breeds more hate like you have papers like the Daily Mail so there is a flipside to that.
Basically if you want rid of the immigrants crash the economy. Down tools and stop working. Because immigrants go where the money is.
(edited 9 years ago)
There's nothing "tolerant" about letting your country be invaded.

I think by now, the tolerance of the British public towards the Calais invaders has completely ran out.
Original post by awais-iqb
i think it's because the french crack down on illegal immigration with much more force than he Uk

Clearly not if thousands of them can live around Calais waiting for their chance to get across to Britain.

I dunno, for some reason immigrants seem to think the UK is the promised land and I dunno why, there is nothing about this country, especially in the urban centres where they converge which suggests a desirable life.

C'est la vie.
Original post by baconwrappedeggs

France has A LOT of racists in it and xenophobes. Plus I think it's somewhat easier to get a better living in England.
Let's get this into perspective to start:

42,000 illegal immigrants crossed into Europe in the first four months of 2014.

14,000 crossed into Italy alone in May 2014 and averages out at 11,000 per month for Italy.

The 1300 estimated at Calais represents <2% of the European influx. However, this is one port and represents one route only into the UK.

Reasons:

English is spoken by the widest range of foreign nationals to a working standard.

Perception and anecdote that the UK is a tolerant, fair and safe place to live.

Publicity that the UK is short of labour (skilled) with the highest growth economy in Europe.

Large communities from all continents already exist throughout the UK.

Perception that mainland Europe is far more racist.

It's better to have a hope of earning even low wages and generate self-esteem even if it means living in the shadows and margins of society. The alternative is having to forage and beg for scraps of food and living in constant fear with no hope in their own countries. Jail is viewed as an HMG paid for full-board hotel by comparison.

In all, one cannot blame them for wanting a better life. However, this is an already overcrowded island with ever increasing pressure on finite resources.

We should definitely help fund Calais and other ports to improve the efficiency of border controls and border policing of illegal immigration trying tp get into the UK. Help the French to help us control illegal immigration.
(edited 9 years ago)
We may as well let in .............hundreds of millions of people into Britain then. After all, there is no argument not to.
The UK has a better human rights record than France, by far. Although I think the main reasons are probably financial, as well as linguistic (many migrants speak better English than French). Although I can't imagine why somebody would climb under a lorry to get to the UK from France.
Original post by democracyforum
There's nothing "tolerant" about letting your country be invaded.

I think by now, the tolerance of the British public towards the Calais invaders has completely ran out.

I shan't discuss the first point since its not an invasion.

Regarding your second point there are two types of person that tend to dislike immigration..

1) The largest group is made up of people who dislike Muslims and Blacks. They are not explicitly racist to these people but just think they don't fit in. They may not be enthralled at EU immigration but we could import a million Australians and they wouldn't do anything more than moan a bit. They do dislike immigrants on welfare though.

2) The smaller group is primarily poor people who say that immigrants take their job. A lot of people though tend to take a good on the hard working immigrant though.

Original post by democracyforum
We may as well let in .............hundreds of millions of people into Britain then. After all, there is no argument not to.

There are over 600,000 jobs in the economy, once net immigration reaches that level you will have my full support to curtail future rises.

That being said I'd only encourage immigration from rich countries since citizens are disproportionately skilled.
Original post by felamaslen
The UK has a better human rights record than France, by far. Although I think the main reasons are probably financial, as well as linguistic (many migrants speak better English than French). Although I can't imagine why somebody would climb under a lorry to get to the UK from France.

More jobs in the UK for the unskilled.
Reply 38
our benefit system and our nhs
Original post by sdotd
our benefit system and our nhs

They could have those in France

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending