The Student Room Group

+16 programmes

Ok, I dont think this has been debated (I did do a search)

But do you think there should be such programmes glorying the larger human body (such as the fat beauty contest) when the government are trying to crack down on the rising amount of obesity?

Personally I think that programmes should not glorify it. Those contests might have series health problems as their bmi will be high, therefore they shouldnt be put on tv with the message that it is ok to be fat.

Discuss as I'm interested what others think...

Scroll to see replies

Yeah, we should make a law that all fat people must be ostracised and mocked, that's a good idea. :rolleyes:
Reply 2
Given how few people want to be fat, it is remarkable how many are!
poltroon
Given how few people want to be fat, it is remarkable how many are!

The same could be said about smokers, alcoholics or drug addicts.
Reply 4
JonathanH
The same could be said about cigarette addicts, alcohol addicts or drug addicts.

Could it?
Reply 5
I don't know the exact content of the programmes you have in mind, but I do think anything which can convince people its ok for them to be fat and not do anything about it is dangerous.

Making shows which victimise fat people is also a bad idea, but ensuring that at least no one is oblivious to the consequences is a good idea
lol @ victim status of smokers. some of us actually enjoy tobacco you know!
Reply 7
JonathanH
Yeah, we should make a law that all fat people must be ostracised and mocked, that's a good idea. :rolleyes:

What part of the post implied that the OP was an advocate of this such nonsence? She was simply questioning whether it was suitable and responsible to glorify obesity in the media, considering the health issues that stem from it. Jesus.
just watched the 'Fat Beauty Contest' tonight...wasn't too impressed to be honest...

as the OP said, giving the message that it's ok to be overweight is just as wrong in my opinion as the status quo, where models and typically 'beautiful' women are glorified in part for being incredibly thin. both are equally bad health-wise...

I have no problem with trying to prevent overweight people becoming stigmatised...but I think shows like this go a little too far.

the women in the contest actually turned against one girl after she revealed she was pregnant, because they thought she wasn't normally 'fat' enough to be on the show. to me it seemed a little strange somehow...
Reply 9
creak
What part of the post implied that the OP was an advocate of this such nonsence? She was simply questioning whether it was suitable and responsible to glorify obesity in the media, considering the health issues that stem from it. Jesus.

The title is "+16 programmes" - I assume this means size 16?

Size 16 isn't obese, it isn't even fat. A little chubby on some people, big breasts/bum on others.

Of course, being obese is not good and I don't think it should be glorified - it should be recognized as a problem which people should take responsibility for. Conversly, we shouldn't be encouraging people to be skinny either because of all the health problems and stress that can put people under as well. So basically neither extreme should be "glorified".
Reply 10
I'd rather we ban most celebrities on the basis that they glorify anorexia.
Reply 11
Thud
The title is "+16 programmes" - I assume this means size 16?

Size 16 isn't obese, it isn't even fat. A little chubby on some people, big breasts/bum on others.

Of course, being obese is not good and I don't think it should be glorified - it should be recognized as a problem which people should take responsibility for. Conversly, we shouldn't be encouraging people to be skinny either because of all the health problems and stress that can put people under as well. So basically neither extreme should be "glorified".

I know +16 isn't overwieght - considering I wear size 16 clothes! I was more on about people who are obviously over the 25 bmi which is healthy for a person. The title was just because to be in the fat beauty contest you had to be 16 and over (I think) and plus sizes in shops are from size 16, and to whoever neg repped me - that was annoying - but I'm still on my standing that people who are going to suffer health problems should not be put in the spotlight. It is the same for people who are obviously a size 2, it's just this debate is about overweight not underweight people.
creak

"therefore they shouldnt be put on tv with the message that it is ok to be fat" - I draw from that the conclusion that the OP doesn't consider it 'ok' to be fat. And yes, the rest of what I said probably wasn't intended, but neither was I being entirely serious. I was pointing out where such attitudes could lead.
Reply 13
JonathanH
"therefore they shouldnt be put on tv with the message that it is ok to be fat" - I draw from that the conclusion that the OP doesn't consider it 'ok' to be fat. And yes, the rest of what I said probably wasn't intended, but neither was I being entirely serious. I was pointing out where such attitudes could lead.

thanks, creak, by the way, you are right. I think it is ok to be any size, however when it is an issue of people thinking it is ok to be fat, which leads to health problems then its not so good. Look at sumo wrestles, it is fine for them to be fat because they are (I think) healthy. I shouldn't have done it so much by weight - but the two are interlinked - be overweight and in extreme situations health problems are likely to arise. This is of course a generalisation, but hey, I'm on holiday and wont quote facts or figures.

I know just to show characters on a soap that are the right weight would be disproportiate to the country's mean size, and am not against that, however, setting up programmes to 'glorify' being overwieght is in my view wrong, if they are going to encourage kids to eat whatever they want, it is one of many views I hold - and may change if people discuss otherwise, however I must stress there is no point in neg repping me just becuase I put a view up for discussion.
historyhoney
however, setting up programmes to 'glorify' being overwieght is in my view wrong, if they are going to encourage kids to eat whatever they want, it is one of many views I hold

What about setting up whole industries which glorify being stick-thin and encourage children and teenagers to eat so little they cause serious damage to their own health?
Reply 15
JonathanH
What about setting up whole industries which glorify being stick-thin and encourage children and teenagers to eat so little they cause serious damage to their own health?

As I said it is one of many views... I started the discussion about overwieght people - if you would like to extend it to underwieght super stick thin celebs - then the same this is true - they shouldn't be 'glorified' either! But again - only if it is causing health problems
historyhoney
But again - only if it is causing health problems

What makes you think that overweight people all have health problems? Plenty of thin and average size people have health problems. And some people you may consider 'overweight' if you saw them on the street may turn out to be a very fit rugby player or other athlete.
Reply 17
JonathanH
What makes you think that overweight people all have health problems? Plenty of thin and average size people have health problems. And some people you may consider 'overweight' if you saw them on the street may turn out to be a very fit rugby player or other athlete.

read all my messages! I have said before I am making a massive generilisation
historyhoney
I have said before I am making a massive generilisation

Yes, that's not normally something encouraged in D&D.
Reply 19
JonathanH
What makes you think that overweight people all have health problems?

Since overweight can mean both having a lot of fat or a lot of muscle, I think its important to note that being fat is unhealthy. Ask any competent doctor not on the payroll of McDonalds. The term overweight was brought in to be as vague as possible so as to allow fat people an escape route (I'm big boned, I have a lot of muscle etc)

Plenty of thin and average size people have health problems

Thats not the point. Being too thin will cause health problems, hence why there has been a bit of a grumbling about stick thin models, silenced by the masses of people buying latest fashions. Being a bit thin, average or a bit fat will not be the cause of any illnesses any more than being alive is the cause.

Quick Reply