AQA English Language and Literature unseen question

Watch
SylwiaJoanna
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey guys!

The exams are coming up and I was wondering whether you have any techniques/tips of how to answer the unseen question on the AS paper. It's the specification B. I'm OK with the open book one on anthology, but the unseen one concerns me. Considering that the unseen question is worth only half of the marks of the anthology question, I'm not sure how many points/comparisons to make in order for it to be "enough" and obviously the teachers won't give me ANY suggestions. I also realised that the teachers don't really focus on the unseen question (pretty much at all. I also had two teachers as our first one left and now it's just being a little bit of a mess).

PLEASE help guys!
ginnie0607
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
My teacher told me to just read through it once and then again without writing anything, and decide what it is about (as this is usually part of the question) and then go through and underline/highlight/circle any key language devices. Whilst you are doing this think about what this means and the effect on the reader (the analysis part) and then comment on the structure if there is anything relevant to say and then the overall message of the poem if you have time.

Even if you don't understand the poem, make some BS up, as long as you can support it with quotes it will be perfectly fine and get you marks, or you could use phrases such as "this could mean" or "I think that this means" to show that you aren't sure but are still exploring (this gets you higher marks) Most importantly, I have done a few in class and we have been set a few as homeworks and they are almost always really easy, and the question is really general.

As for the amount of points to make I am not sure, my teacher said people usually write no more than two sides of paper, however usually it is just over one side. There should probably be a short paragraph on what it means, then maybe 3 or 4 points on the language devices (make sure that they are explained well though) a point on structure and the overall message. Just make as many points as you can in the time you have and don't worry about it. Nationally people do better on the unseen poem than they do on the poems they have studied because they make their own ideas and interpretations and it is much much easier
SylwiaJoanna
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by ginnie0607)
My teacher told me to just read through it once and then again without writing anything, and decide what it is about (as this is usually part of the question) and then go through and underline/highlight/circle any key language devices. Whilst you are doing this think about what this means and the effect on the reader (the analysis part) and then comment on the structure if there is anything relevant to say and then the overall message of the poem if you have time.

Even if you don't understand the poem, make some BS up, as long as you can support it with quotes it will be perfectly fine and get you marks, or you could use phrases such as "this could mean" or "I think that this means" to show that you aren't sure but are still exploring (this gets you higher marks) Most importantly, I have done a few in class and we have been set a few as homeworks and they are almost always really easy, and the question is really general.

As for the amount of points to make I am not sure, my teacher said people usually write no more than two sides of paper, however usually it is just over one side. There should probably be a short paragraph on what it means, then maybe 3 or 4 points on the language devices (make sure that they are explained well though) a point on structure and the overall message. Just make as many points as you can in the time you have and don't worry about it. Nationally people do better on the unseen poem than they do on the poems they have studied because they make their own ideas and interpretations and it is much much easier
Thank you so much! I truly appreciate your help. I have made a few useful notes on what you just told me and hopefully I'll manage to get a good grade
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (252)
39.75%
Take autumn exams (188)
29.65%
Look for a job (21)
3.31%
Consider an apprenticeship (25)
3.94%
Take a year out (110)
17.35%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (38)
5.99%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed