The Student Room Group

Please Help, Can I still go to Clearing if I meet the conditions of insurance choice?

Hey guys,

I need to decide till tomorrow about my firm and insurance choices for law. Well, I will put Manchester as my firm but I am almost sure that I will not meet their conditions, however I still need to try as I love the university.

I am planning to put City as my insurance. However, there is a possibility that I might not want to go there. If I use both my choices and if I don't meet the conditions of my firm but meet the ones for the insurance choice, is it still possible that I can go to Clearing? If yes, how? I am not sure if I can risk not putting an insurance choice as well, but I also want to have the chance to go to clearing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by euphorie
Hey guys,

I need to decide till tomorrow about my firm and insurance choices for law. Well, I will put Manchester as my firm but I am almost sure that I will not meet their conditions, however I still need to try as I love the university.

I am planning to put City as my insurance. However, there is a possibility that I might not want to go there. If I use both my choices and if I don't meet the conditions of my firm but meet the ones for the insurance choice, is it still possible that I can go to Clearing? If yes, how? I am not sure if I can risk not putting an insurance choice as well, but I also want to have the chance to go to clearing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

The university can release you into clearing if you ask them on Results Day. Bear in mind that while they can, it doesn't mean they are obliged to do so, so there is a certain element of risk there.

My advice is if you are certain you do not want to go City, then don't put it as your insurance. If you don't have other choices you are prepared to go to/have other offers, then just Firm Manchester and do not select an Insurance. This because in the unfortunate event you do not get confirmed by Manchester, you will be released immediately into clearing, which is crucial on Results Day, as the best clearing places go very early in the morning. If you ask City to release you, and they are willing to, you have no guarantee that they will on the morning of Results Day.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by All-in
The university can release you into clearing if you ask them on Results Day. Bear in mind that while they can, it doesn't mean they are obliged to do so, so there is a certain element of risk there.

My advice is if you are certain you do not want to go City, then don't put it as your insurance. If you don't have other choices you are prepared to go to/have other offers, then just Firm Manchester and do not select an Insurance. This because in the unfortunate event you do not get confirmed, you will be released immediately into clearing, which is crucial on Results Day, as the best clearing places go very early in the morning. If you ask City to release you, and they are willing to, you have no guarantee they will on the morning of Results Day.

Thank you very much for the reply. The thing is, my results day is the 11th of July and not August as I am an International Foundation Programme student. Does this mean, for them to release me and to be put to clearing, I still have to wait till the A-Levels Results Day?

And is it sure that I will be put in clearing right that moment in case they release me?

Sorry for bothering with too many questions, but I am too stressed. :frown:
Thank you very much for the reply. The thing is, my results day is the 11th of July and not August as I am an International Foundation Programme student. Does this mean, for them to release me and to be put to clearing, I still have to wait till the A-Levels Results Day?

And is it sure that I will be put in clearing right that moment in case they release me?

I work on the clearing lines at Liverpool uni and as far as I am aware, you are allowed to go through clearing but you have to reject your insurance first in order to be released.

You would have to wait until the A level results in August anyway because clearing doesn't start until then as the unis have to find out how many spaces are left on their courses once students have their results.
Reply 4

In this case things are different, but it could actually work to your advantage, depending on how things play out.

By receiving your results early, you have more the reason for not risking putting an Insurance you don't want to go to, waiting for/hoping they release/reject you. (Release in case they confirm your place, Reject in case the offer remains conditional). If you decide to insure City, and Manchester rejects you, and City accepts you, it is impossible to say if and when City will release you. If they do release you, from the moment they complete the process on their end, you are in Clearing.

Clearing starts in July, not on Results Day, as the poster above said. It is the majority of Clearing places that are assigned on, and after, Results Day. It is a relatively known fact that universities will publish Clearing vacancies before that. If you are in Clearing by then, nothing stops you from picking up the phone and discussing vacancies with the universities. The majority will tell you to wait for Results Day, but with a bit of a luck, you may get a university that will offer you a place or agree to unofficialy reserve a place for you.

Also, if you are in Clearing by the 5th of August, you will be able to participate in the Scottish Clearing process.

In the case you firm Manchester, with no insurance, and you don't meet their offer, instead of rejecting you they might decide to wait until August to determine whether to accept you anyway or not. I guess however this would be an acceptable risk/wait for you, seeing how eager you are about Manchester.
Original post by ChelseaYvonne
I work on the clearing lines at Liverpool uni and as far as I am aware, you are allowed to go through clearing but you have to reject your insurance first in order to be released.

This is incorrect.

Students cannot REJECT their insurance choice.

If they meet their insurance conditions (and even if them miss their insurance conditions but their insurance decides to take them on lower grades which happens A LOT) then they are obligated to their insurance.

The only way to get out of that obligation is to ASK their insurance choice to let them go into Clearing.

As has already been explained above this is usually ok but also usually something that can take a fair amount of time (best case a few hours, generally 24-48 hours, I've known people wait a fortnight after A level results day for their uni to release them into Clearing).

OP given your early results I'd suggest you would be fine to put City as your insurance - you'll have time post-results to arrange to be released before the main clearing vacancies are made public in August....but that's the crucial thing - if you want to find a place in Clearing then you NEED to be IN Clearing as soon as possible, preferably by the start of August so that you can take full advantage of the Scottish listings and the early releases on uni websites of vacancies (plus it gives you more time to research your possible choices and make a good informed decision rather than a rushed one).
Original post by PQ
This is incorrect.

Students cannot REJECT their insurance choice.

Well as I said 'as far as I'm aware'.

I work on the clearing lines and I know for the uni I work for, if somebody still has their insurance choice we have to ask them to reject it so we can process them.

It does work different for different unis though and some employ call centers to deal with clearing instead of opening their own call center over the clearing process so it could be different for them.

I work on the clearing lines and I know for the uni I work for, if somebody still has their insurance choice we have to ask them to reject it so we can process them.

It does work different for different unis though and some employ call centers to deal with clearing instead of opening their own call center over the clearing process so it could be different for them.

While you may have to ask for something in writing the UCAS Admissions Guide and Processing Manual is very clear on how the process for a release into Clearing has to happen (and it involves an action by a university *not* something initiated by applicants through Track).

I do appreciate that you're trying to help but this is one area that applicants fall foul of every year and confusing or unclear advise makes it very difficult for applicants to get the outcome they need.

The words "Reject" and "Release" both have very specific meanings in UCAS processing. Both can only be initiated by a university, the applicant equivalent is a "Decline" and this is not available as an option to applicants if they have made a university their Firm or Insurance.
Reply 8
I still don't know what to do. :/ Would it increase my chances in clearing if I do not put an insurance at all?

No university can give an offer until the applicant has a clearing number via UCAS, and they cannot get this unless the university they have an unconditional offer for releases them. There is no way this can work differently for different universities as it is centrally controlled by UCAS.

I still don't know what to do. :/ Would it increase my chances in clearing if I do not put an insurance at all?

It won't make any difference either way if you put down an insurance or not. It will be easy to be released on 11th July in good time to find a clearing place you are happy with. Problems could only arise if you waited until A-level results day to ask to be released.

However there is no advatage to putting down a clearing choice you definately do not want to go to.
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
No university can give an offer until the applicant has a clearing number via UCAS, and they cannot get this unless the university they have an unconditional offer for releases them. There is no way this can work differently for different universities as it is centrally controlled by UCAS.

It won't make any difference either way if you put down an insurance or not. It will be easy to be released on 11th July in good time to find a clearing place you are happy with. Problems could only arise if you waited until A-level results day to ask to be released.

However there is no advatage to putting down a clearing choice you definately do not want to go to.

Well I work on the clearing lines at my uni and I've never had to ask for a clearing number. I ask for their ucas registration number and if they don't have one, I can generate one. It is entirely controlled by my university which can then put the offer through to ucas. For this you have to call the university directly, not ucas.
Well I work on the clearing lines at my uni and I've never had to ask for a clearing number. I ask for their ucas registration number and if they don't have one, I can generate one. It is entirely controlled by my university which can then put the offer through to ucas. For this you have to call the university directly, not ucas.

Yeah, I know how clearing works, I've done a similar job to you. Ucas cannot put offers through for applicants that are not already released from their unconditional offer, it simply isn't possible.

Most people will be released before they enter clearing anyway, but it sounds like this system could cause real problems for an applicant who isn't already released.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending