Constant underlying feeling that I'm going to die soon Watch

SophR96
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I feel this all the time! Probably since I was about 11 (I'm 18 now). I'm quite a hypochondriac, although not the type that goes to the doctors all the time - quite the opposite, I worry so much that they'll give me bad news so I tend to avoid the doctors where possible. I always worry about not being here in the future, like my friends always talk about going to uni in September and I always think "what if I don't make it to September?", or the same with talking about things like careers/marriage/kids etc. I remember when I was 11, I used to think "what if I don't make it to 12?" all the time, and I got really anxious in the days leading up to being 12.
I don't think it's a massive problem, I just think it happens because I'm quite anxious and worry about everything, but it's good to know that others feel the same!
Rum Ham
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I felt like this a lot when I had panic disorder. The constant feeling of chest pains and dizziness probably brought on those feelings with me mainly. I told myself that if I were dying or going to die soon because of the symptoms I had (which were all just cause by my mental state), I would have died a long time ago with these symptoms if they were real and not just because of how I feel mentally and the feelings and thoughts of dying soon went away.

I used to say to my mum too when I was a teenager that I wouldn't make it to 20 but here I am at 22. I wasn't suicidal or anything but I just couldn't imagine my body being able to keep up with my stress levels and illnesses I got here and there. I grew out of that feeling too. The fear and denial of growing up and becoming an adult probably caused those feelings then.
Posted from TSR Mobile
sacha88
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey Hey,

What your feeling is so so normal!! You would be surprised with how many actual people suffer with thoughts like this but don't talk about it!

weird thought- I always am scared that I am going to do random things like chuck my drink in someones face, chuck myself in front of moving traffic, ram my car in to a wall etc!!
the most horrid things but over these few years I have come to a point where I don't think to much in to them and I just shake my head like " what the F**k how random" and laugh!! its just your mind becoming in to a worried state that you prob don't even realise! busy place, stress etc!! TRUAT ME YOU WILL NEVER DO THOSE THINGS! you have to keep telling yourself that and remember everyone gets it!

I always fell like I am going to die too! I have a aching back so whei breath in I get a slight pain then boooom! I have a blood clot on my lung or I am going to have a heart attack! I have a pain I my knee from over doing it at the gym and then booom! I have a blood clot and I need my leg chopped off haha!!

you have to try and think " its just that anexity again it will go away in a bit" because it will!!

take yourself out the situation I first started by either doing some colouring in ( sounds childish) or playing games on my fone to take that thought away!!!

Then here it goes!! all of a sudden I am scared of flying!! I cant get on that plane because its going to crash!! ( into what may I add I have no idea- a bird? a plane?) butttt.......... I do.
now how many people do you think get on a plane and **** them selves! I do but all it takes is that one people to look at your with a weird face and whack I must be crazy!

the simple point is that everyone is different! what bothers me prob doesn't bother you but guess what buttercup that's what makes you you!

find a way remember that you are not the only one that suffers and we are all in the same boat ( the ones that can admit it)
chin up

sacha xxxxxx
Tarnybxxx
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Quilt)
This is probably going to the be the weirdest thing I've ever typed in my whole life and to be honest I'm not 100% sure if it's going to make sense, but for quite a while now I've had this feeling in the back of my mind that I'm going to be somebody who dies at a young age. The feeling becomes stronger whenever I think about the future etc, because something in the back of my mind tells me that it's a fact that I won't live to see all of it.

It's weird, it's not an upsetting feeling because I'm so used to it that it just feels factual. I've looked up a lot of things about people knowing about things before they happen, and obviously it's very superstitious and most probably just chance, but I read these stories about people who have mentioned like they feel like they're going to die and then do and it kind of freaks me out a bit.

I used to struggle with depression a lot but I truly believe I have overcome this now and that this feeling of impending death is nothing related to that, as, like I said before, it's not a negative feeling, more of just something my brain seems to accept whenever I'm thinking deeply.

I always have these little thoughts, when I'm crossing the road or attending a doctors appointment or anything stupid and small like that, and it's just like "maybe it's going to be now... or now... or now".

I just wondered if anyone has ever experienced this before/know anyone else who has? It's very strange to me, not so much worrying as odd.

Thanks in advance
OP just wondering how you're feeling now?

You okay? (stumbled across this from a google search)
kalaiza
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hello. I just wanted to say I have the same experience as some of you. And no I'm not depressed. I do however have alot in my mind. Like my household. the bills and work and I worry about everything. Is just sometimes not all the times I get this feeling of death is like if I'm going to die soon and I don't like it. It scares the crap out of me. I have 3 daughters and I can't see them without me in their lifes. However I am a very spiritual person I can sense things. Like my boss would call me. (A witch) I don't know if God is opening my eyes for bigger things or if I'm going to die. But I pray to God that whatever it is. To take it away! Not to take me away.
Wimbs
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
'I worry so much that they'll give me bad news so I tend to avoid the doctors where possible.'

Indeed, when I was 9, I had glue ear and didn't tell anyone for a month (until it was noticed) because I was paranoid there was something seriously wrong with me and that I would end up in hospital having lodas of tests done!

At the end of the day, if there is something wrong you should go to the Drs if it is serious enough - it is best to catch something early if there is something serious - and most times it isn't!

As I have said, ironically the best way of dealing with fear of death is just accept there is a small chance it could happen to anyone and get on with your life, as easier as it is said than done!
Jesus saves
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Mannnnnnn I feellllll the sameeeee.. I have been searching all across google If I find any one else who feels so. And the most weirdest part is even I was under depression, not just depression but severe depression. Jesus cured me (BTW, are you Christian?) from entire pain and everything.. I feel so free and relaxed now. But yet, I also feel I may die at an young age. Not feeling actually, it's like someone is speaking into my heart and telling Lil girl once your work is done, you may leave.
JesusIsTheWay
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I too have been having these thoughts. From reading different responses and looking up symptoms that are similar to what im feeling, it looks to be anxiety. Not too sure where the anxiety is coming from but here is what ive been doing to get rid of it, its free and completly natural. PRAYING. It has worked much better than any medication ive taken so far and im going to continue to do it. We are always fighting a battle that we can not understand or see. Dont know if youre religious or not but if youre not, then maybe this is the time to find God. Jesus loves you and will always be there. Its never too late. Hope this helps. GOD BLESS
Natxylo
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hello,

I am so glad i came across your post. Ever since i was a young girl i always dreamt or thought i would die at a young age. 29 to be precise. I do suffer anxiety and panic attacks which i have been to councelling and had medication for. However these have only happened over the past four years. The feelings about dying at 29 have been present for as long as i can remember. When ever i imagined the future i just couldnt see me living past this age, it is just a feeling i have and still have now. I think about dying more than one probably should, and like you, its during random times such as crossing a road etc. The thing is, my panic attacks are hugely influenced by physical symptoms, and they terrify me, they make me think im about to die. And i do not want to, believe me. But this other thing. The dying at 29 thing. It doesnt scare me. I obviously dont want it to happen, but i feel ready. I feel like ive accepted that.

I know this all sounds terribly strange. Tbh o can barely explain it. I also have read articles where people have said they are going to die and they have. Only last friday i mentioned this to two of my friends. The first time ive ever said it out loud. My friend told me her ex used to say that for as long as she knew him. That he'd die young. He did. At 33.

Im 29. I just wanted to share this. I had to say it to other people. Maybe im crazy or maybe im right. I honestly dont know.
9KoRaL8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey well I'm going through the same thing but I feel like that constantly its got to the point where I'm scared to go to sleep due to feeling like my heart is going to stop:// it's hard dealing with it and I don't think you can do much about it but convince yourself otherwise. I'm 17 as well and I've been reading about this a lot and I see a lot of people our age with the same problem
ParisInc.
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I cannot believe so many people feel the same, I told a friend this and she thought I was crazy. Imagining the future feels kind of detached for me as I don't really believe I'm going to have one. I get this feeling when I'm having a good time, at a party, with friends etc. it just hits me that I truly don't think I'll be here for long, it got so bad when I was ordering a takeaway in a shop once that I literally ran out of the shop in fear.
Pandabear08
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I feel the same way to a T. This all started in April or May of 2015 when all of a sudden I wAs at work and I felt like I was going to pass out my heart wAs racing 156 beats per minute. I was rushed to the Er. They did a EKG and lab work and said everything was fine. They never explained why this happened so ever since that day I have been certain that I am destined to die at a young age and now when I look to he future I see nothing. It's a blank page only thing I can see is me dying, unsure how or when but that's all my brain for sees for me. I don't know how to stop it and I don't wAnt to rely on medications for the rest of my life. I can't tell you how many different doctors I have seen because of this.
jananejkjlk
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm going through that right now, and it's not the first time that I went through this. I'm about to be fifty. Did someone close to you recently die? That makes a person think and become overly aware of their own impending death. You might say that you feel at peace with the idea, and I have to say I thought the same, but the other day while riding my bike I spotted a wild boar charging along side of me parallel, but about a hundred feet away. I felt fear like nothing ever before. I didn't want to die. It's one thing to listen to your peaceful inner voice, but I assure you it's psychological mayham! Just call it that and let it be. I wouldn't take drugs for anxiety if you're not feeling freaked out about this natural phenomenon, just let it go. When the feeling comes just say,
bakerjd1993
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I made an account literally just to re-ply to this post.

Heres my two cents. Life, we've all got one. But people like us, i like to put us into the 'die young thinkers' catergory. We OBSESS! We love to obsess. We're obsessive people, to a degree, humans are, but people like us, we're on a different level. It starts with depression, and if we hold ONTO that depression for too long, it turns into anxiety, and we HOLD ONTO that anxiety for too long, it turns into something i like to call manic anxiety. We're not hypochondriacs, we're cautious. We don't DO alot in our day, we have TIME to think about death, to indulge in these thoughts. It scares us but we do it anyway. I think really, deep down, you're not afraid of death, because you weren't as a baby, you had no conception, but, you're afraid of LIVING. You don't do things that constitute as living, you're just waiting to die, on a computer, in a room. I think what i've come to realise is that, the brain LOVES stimulation, and resorts back to default position, anxiety or depression when its not DOING anything, its on stanby mode, and its wants to feel ANYTHING. Maybe im wrong. And Its not sixth sense. "Oh im going to die at so and so age" - it's your caution to life, its your sense of 'hanging on for something you fought so hard for' - Did you experience tramua as a child? Bullied? Saw something traumatic? I did, and i feel im like that, because of that. Im on propranolol 10mg, but its not helping. I'll wake up angry, anxious and having this 'impending doom'. But the funny thing is, so does my DAD, he has the same thing, and he's 63.

So what i can say is this, go to a mirror, and say, hey, you're going to make it to 70, because, there really is no other way! - say those words! Also, loosing a family member or someone near you doesnt help. It makes us AWARE of ourselves.

Final thought, we're not anxious for feeling like we're going to 'die soon'. The thought is actually we're cleverer than most for noticing and being aware of death. Pray for us all, im still feeling like this every day.
adeleinem
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
oh my god. I'm crying. I decided to google this, I had never seen another human articulate it. what do you think it is? I've always felt this way. always. perhaps we were meant to die young and cheated death. i know I was a sick child, sometimes i think my body is always reacting to the surreal reality that i cheated death. maybe that's crazy. I don't know.

Just know, you're not alone.
adeleinem
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Oh my god. I know this experience to a T. I am literally crying, I've never seen anyone else articulate it.
Betseyboo
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
For yaers I thought I might die soon ,have fantastic husband the most delightful child ,but I day dream that I will die or something bad wiil happen to me . Glad I am not alone have just started tar pres tabs from doc for anxiety for pms ,butripms I think it has always been this way dont want to end up like my mum who is always depressed which I am not ???!!
Trtell001
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thank you! I found someone who thinks EXACTLY like me. I also get the feeling of impending death when thinking of the future and not being able to see it. But unlike most, I have no fear. I do suffer from some anxiety but I also feel like this isnt anxiety.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Natxylo)
Hello,

I am so glad i came across your post. Ever since i was a young girl i always dreamt or thought i would die at a young age. 29 to be precise. I do suffer anxiety and panic attacks which i have been to councelling and had medication for. However these have only happened over the past four years. The feelings about dying at 29 have been present for as long as i can remember. When ever i imagined the future i just couldnt see me living past this age, it is just a feeling i have and still have now. I think about dying more than one probably should, and like you, its during random times such as crossing a road etc. The thing is, my panic attacks are hugely influenced by physical symptoms, and they terrify me, they make me think im about to die. And i do not want to, believe me. But this other thing. The dying at 29 thing. It doesnt scare me. I obviously dont want it to happen, but i feel ready. I feel like ive accepted that.

I know this all sounds terribly strange. Tbh o can barely explain it. I also have read articles where people have said they are going to die and they have. Only last friday i mentioned this to two of my friends. The first time ive ever said it out loud. My friend told me her ex used to say that for as long as she knew him. That he'd die young. He did. At 33.

Im 29. I just wanted to share this. I had to say it to other people. Maybe im crazy or maybe im right. I honestly dont know.
Can you please confirm that you're still alive and this is all in our heads?
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
When you have anxiety or depression, I think its on the nhs website where it says feeling like going to die along with other things. Feelings like that tends to happen if you e not really been in contact with alot of people after a certain period of time
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (216)
60.17%
No (143)
39.83%

Watched Threads