The Student Room Group

Am I spending too much on my monthly motoring costs?

I would like to see what other people like me are spending on their monthly motoring costs on average.

petrol - approx £240
insurance - £45
tax - £25 a month or so

so I spend about £310 per month on my motoring, this excludes parking as I often find free parking. Also excluded is maintenance and repairs, I just want to know your approx monthly cost for the top 3 above please , petrol, tax, insurance combined
I paid my insurance annually but that was £1300 so that's just over £100 a month
Petrol, I don't usually go too far so maybe £60/£70(ish)
Tax is £125 a year
I usually manage to park in uni car park which is a lot cheaper, £2 p/day that I'm in, say I'm in 4 days a week, £30+ on parking

Posted from TSR Mobile
For me it's as follows:

Fuel, £65 a month
Insurance, £75 a month
Tax is £175 for the year (roughly £170 anyway) which is about £15 a month.

So that equals £155 a month so not too bad. For questions like this only you can really say if you are spending too much a month on your motoring costs :smile:
**** loads
Free tax
Reply 4
Fuel: £10 (occasionally up to £20)
Insurance: £17.26
Tax: £1.42
Parking: £0

Motorbikes FTW. :awesome:
Reply 5
Original post by Dez
Fuel: £10 (occasionally up to £20)
Insurance: £17.26
Tax: £1.42
Parking: £0

Motorbikes FTW. :awesome:

only if it's dry / you've not got to take anything with you.
Reply 6
Original post by JC.
only if it's dry / you've not got to take anything with you.

Waterproofs, top box, backpack. :wink: I'd get no use out of a car, personally. Parking in Brighton's an absolute nightmare, and it'd be useless for commuting, TSR's garage isn't big enough for everyone to bring cars.
Reply 7
Original post by Dez
Waterproofs, top box, backpack. :wink: I'd get no use out of a car, personally. Parking in Brighton's an absolute nightmare, and it'd be useless for commuting, TSR's garage isn't big enough for everyone to bring cars.

I've had a few bikes over the years.

They are OK as a bit of fun. Every day transport? nah.
If you can't find somewhere to park, you're just not looking properly.
Reply 8
Original post by JC.
I've had a few bikes over the years.

They are OK as a bit of fun. Every day transport? nah.
If you can't find somewhere to park, you're just not looking properly.

It's not so much finding a place to park so much as paying for it. There's three big car parks within crawling distance of TSR Towers, the cheapest is around £5/day, I think. Some P&D parking spots in other areas of Brighton go up to the £7-8 price tag. Not to mention there's the horrendous traffic on the A270 that I can't filter through in a car, likely tripling my commute time.

So I'll stick with a bike, personally. :p: Works just fine as everyday transport for me, I rarely need to carry anything too big for it and TBH, even factoring in the odd £5 delivery charge or taxi fee, the motorbike is still way way cheaper than owning a car.
Reply 9
Original post by Dez
It's not so much finding a place to park so much as paying for it. There's three big car parks within crawling distance of TSR Towers, the cheapest is around £5/day, I think. Some P&D parking spots in other areas of Brighton go up to the £7-8 price tag. Not to mention there's the horrendous traffic on the A270 that I can't filter through in a car, likely tripling my commute time.

So I'll stick with a bike, personally. :p: Works just fine as everyday transport for me, I rarely need to carry anything too big for it and TBH, even factoring in the odd £5 delivery charge or taxi fee, the motorbike is still way way cheaper than owning a car.

Unless it's a council carpark, parking is free. :wink:
Reply 10
Original post by JC.
Unless it's a council carpark, parking is free. :wink:

Good luck explaining that to the barriers at the entrance. :p:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending