The Student Room Group

English Lit AS May 16th 2014

Hey I am doing 'Edward Thomas' and 'Turn of the Screw' for Eng Lit, I wanted to know if anyone had any predictions?:smile:
Hi there, I'm just going to pop this into the English forum for you as you're more likely to get responses there. :smile:
Reply 2
It's quite hard to predict as they're both fairly new to the syllabus. For The Turn of the Screw, we've already had two questions about the governess herself, so perhaps we might get a question about the children? Maybe one could be about how evil they are/how they're presented.

Again for Edward Thomas it's hard to say. So far Tears (strong emotions) and The Sun Used To Shine ('moments of contemplation') - have been on from what I can see on the OCR website. It's hard to predict which poem we'll get, but you can guess at which themes might come up, e.g. conflict, solitude, memory, death, patriotism, nature, relationships.

Sorry I can't be of any more help but I hope I've helped at least with potential themes.

Tasha
Is this AQA?
Reply 4
Original post by jjmichaeljadson
Is this AQA?

I don't know if Edward Thomas and the Turn of the Screw are on AQA also, but the exam board I'm doing is OCR. I'm not sure what's been on the AQA exam before.
Reply 5
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Hi there, I'm just going to pop this into the English forum for you as you're more likely to get responses there. :smile:

Thankyou:smile:
Reply 6
Original post by tasha_h
It's quite hard to predict as they're both fairly new to the syllabus. For The Turn of the Screw, we've already had two questions about the governess herself, so perhaps we might get a question about the children? Maybe one could be about how evil they are/how they're presented.

Again for Edward Thomas it's hard to say. So far Tears (strong emotions) and The Sun Used To Shine ('moments of contemplation') - have been on from what I can see on the OCR website. It's hard to predict which poem we'll get, but you can guess at which themes might come up, e.g. conflict, solitude, memory, death, patriotism, nature, relationships.

Sorry I can't be of any more help but I hope I've helped at least with potential themes.

Tasha

Agreed! We haven't had any questions on the master so in class we did a question on whether he is the most important character in the book, also something about ghosts and the role of fear in the novel. For Thomas 'As the teams head brass' (relationships) and Words (inner self) was predicted :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by tasha_h
I don't know if Edward Thomas and the Turn of the Screw are on AQA also, but the exam board I'm doing is OCR. I'm not sure what's been on the AQA exam before.

Same I'm doing OCR
Reply 8
Original post by Teuta.H
Agreed! We haven't had any questions on the master so in class we did a question on whether he is the most important character in the book, also something about ghosts and the role of fear in the novel. For Thomas 'As the teams head brass' (relationships) and Words (inner self) was predicted :smile:

'As the team's head brass' would be good, but I think I'd prefer it if it was on conflict/attitudes to war or something similar. :smile:
Original post by tasha_h
'As the team's head brass' would be good, but I think I'd prefer it if it was on conflict/attitudes to war or something similar. :smile:

Anyone doing Browning?
Reply 10
Original post by memoona123456
Anyone doing Browning?

Yup - Which poem came up in Jan 2014
Original post by KHJ1
Yup - Which poem came up in Jan 2014

There was no poem in Jan 2014 because theyve got rid of Module. All exams are now in June.

The poems that have come up so far are:

Soliloquy
Toccata
Love in a Life/Life in a Love

A death poem such as Prospice would be my guess. What do you think?
Reply 12
Original post by memoona123456
There was no poem in Jan 2014 because theyve got rid of Module. All exams are now in June.

The poems that have come up so far are:

Soliloquy
Toccata
Love in a Life/Life in a Love

A death poem such as Prospice would be my guess. What do you think?

Prospice would be good bet. As would the Lost Leader. Hoping its not Women and Roses or apparent failure!
Original post by KHJ1
Prospice would be good bet. As would the Lost Leader. Hoping its not Women and Roses or apparent failure!

Lost leader would be amazing too. Not a big fan of apparent failure tbh. Women and roses is quite nice though
Hi I'm doing OCR, Frankenstein for prose and WB Yeats for poetry. Anyone got any ideas on either? Exam is on Friday!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending