Want more information about this university?

Why does Queen Mary have the highest drop out rate from the Russell Group?

Watch
baconwrappedeggs
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
All the other Russell Groups are together, near each other with lower dropout rates.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.u...90114-full.jpg

Is Queen Mary considered a weaker RG uni or something? Is QM a good uni?
cambio wechsel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The chart plots the relationship between the percentage of students admitted from disadvantaged socio-economic backgrounds and university dropout rates. It seems clear that there is a correlation, and seems as well obvious why.

What is the case is that QMUL is taking a higher proportion of its students from these backgrounds than are other members of the Russell Group, that's perhaps a good thing and is in large part a function of location. And it is seeing as well higher drop out rate, which might be a consequence of that.

But don't look only at how far to the right of the chart the university is. Look instead at where it is relative to the yellow line which identifies the general trend across institutions.

(Original post by baconwrappedeggs)
Is QM a good uni?
What's certainly the case is that this is a dangerous metric to use for the assessing of that. And it wasn't intended to be used in measuring the quality of the institution. If the University of Oxford, for example of inarguably "good uni", were to begin taking more of its students from economically underprivileged backgrounds, it could expect as well to see a higher drop-out rate, and without a change in any other variable.
1drowssap
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by baconwrappedeggs)
All the other Russell Groups are together, near each other with lower dropout rates.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.u...90114-full.jpg

Is Queen Mary considered a weaker RG uni or something? Is QM a good uni?
I think QM is a good uni, as it is generally regarded to have a high standard of teaching.
One possible explanation to explain a higher dropout rate could be due to socio-economic factors. As there is more than a third of people from the lowest socio-economic group(which is two to three times the rate of every other RG uni), they may value the opportunity to earn money immediately over earning a degree. Another reason is a cultural factor, where the culture at home could be that a degree is not important for success. If both parents and children think a degree is unnecessary for success, they would not see a point in uni. The most important reason is probably student burnout. With the previous two factors, its easy to see why dropping out is an attractive option. If a degree is perceived to be an opportunity cost, as well as unnecessary, there is no motivation for one to stay in uni.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (22)
17.19%
I'm not sure (3)
2.34%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (42)
32.81%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.34%
I'm not a current university student (58)
45.31%

Watched Threads